Stinger-pr's fascinating honeymoon, Fascination cruise review- Oct. 16-23, 2016

Stinger-pr

Just commenting again to let you know I have enjoyed this review as much as your others and I'm actually sad to see that it's over. Next time we do this itinerary out of San Juan, I am getting my tail out of bed early on debarkation morning to get pictures sailing back in. I tried both times prior but when the alarm went off at 5:30AM, I could tell we were already passing the fort from the view of the other strip of land on the right (we've been on the starboard side). On our last cruise, it was still fairly dark so I don't think pictures would have come out. Yours are gorgeous!!!

That was definitely a fiasco getting the liquor you purchased. I think I heard that on 6 day/longer cruises, they are/will be bringing back the former policy of delivering liquor purchases to the cabin on the final night. We may consider buying liquor again if this is true.

Funny you mention while you were walking through the terminal on your way out after debarking at 11:20AM, you noticed other passengers heading in. On our Liberty cruise, we were those passengers heading in at 11:20 when a mass of others were clearly just leaving....a delayed debarkation that morning as well. We were able to check in, and check-in was a breeze, BUT we had to wait about 2 hours before they started boarding around 2PM. We had some great company though (2/3 of the group we got to know on our roll call), so that waiting wasn't bad. We just pulled up space on the floor right next to security. Valentinebaby1 and her her hubby, JKirkN, were across the street at Senor Frogs, but we finally met them as they were coming up the stairs to teh check-in area. On our Valor cruise, got to the pier at noon and were on Lido with drinks by 12:45.

Thank you again for taking the time to do another review. Oh, love that last picture you posted of Fascination. After seeing reviews and how she seems less crowded than Liberty/Valor, I'd love to go on her.

You know where I work and you know that you can see the ship pass in the distance as it approaches San Juan. I've recently gone back to working nights and most Sundays during the pre-dawn hours I see the ship in the distance. I gotta tell you that they don't really stick to a set arrival time. I never see the ship in the same place at the same time every Sunday. The schedule is for an arrival time of 7am so as long as they are moored by then, they can approach the bay seemingly when they please. So that means that the time the pass El Morro can vary. I was passing in front of it around 6:10-6:15am. It was still somewhat dark, though but I used big apertures, long exposures (as long as I could without getting blurry photos) and always fiddling with the ISO settings. I also shoot RAW format and post-process using Lightroom for color correction and sometimes adding some light back in to the photos. A lot of times, the subject was darker than it seems in the photo. Lightroom+RAW helps a lot with that.

That delayed debarkation seems to be more common than not. I guess that the new staggered check in format will help ease up the workload for the staff during the turn around period.

Thank you for reading and sticking around. It took me long enough!! I am still cooking up a bit of a "tour" of San Juan to really put a bookend on this.

As you know I was weary about a ship this old and this small doing this route but the ship is in great shape other than a bit dated deco (which I hope they work on during the dry dock on Jan-Feb. 2018) and the smaller crowd really made it a more enjoyable trip. Now let's see how we do cruising with 5 in the same room in '18 (although I really hope we can get two rooms). I would recommend this ship any day after our experience.

I also just learned that apparently Felipe Quoto is leaving the Fascination soon, being replaced by Marcelo "Marshmallow" who subbed for Felipe during his vacation time. I cruised with Felipe the first time and while he was great, Marcelo is SO much more of a fit for this ship and the crowd it pulls in. Our week with Marcelo was simply AMAZING!!

Best review!! Absolutely love all the pictures, information.. thank you so much. Can't wait for October!![emoji924][emoji924][emoji924][emoji568]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you reading and for your words. I ain't done with this yet so keep and eye open. I got something extra cooked up.

Would you take more cruises please? Loved your review and was genuinely sad when you had to get off the ship.

We'll be sailing May 7th this year.

If you had to pick one beach for snorkeling on this itinerary, which would it be? Note- I can't dive so would prefer a beginners beach. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

LOL... Trust me I wish I could take more cruises! We're going back with the whole gang on Summer 2018 so that's definitely be different. Thank you for your words and for sharing our debarking grief. It is very appreciated...lol.

I would say Jalouise beach in St. Lucia. It was basically no waves, easy to get in/out (no deep drop offs or wrestling between sand and waves) and the underwater experience is just amazing! Spencer just opened up a new tour that runs about 3 1/2 hours that got to two beaches (one of them is Jalouise) for a 1 hour snorkel stop. If you're not into hanging around the beach for a while after snorkeling, this might be a good tour. Me? I am torn. The "Beach Break" tour is more expensive, stops at only one beach but you stay half a day there basically as opposed to just one hour at two beaches. We want to just snorkel when we return (we have all been to/ seen the volcano etc.) so we'll have to weight these two options with care when we plan our return.

If you want a more "do-it-yourself" experience, take a taxi to either Coki or Sapphire beach in St. Thomas. Once there YOU decide how long to stay and you always have cabs easily accessible on both beaches for your return trip. And St. Thomas will be cheaper, depending on how much food/ beverages you buy at the beach vs. lunch and beverages being included in the Spencer tour. Either way you won't go wrong with any of those beaches for snorkeling. You'll just have to set the budget and pick.

Thanks for the review, Stinger. Great pics, too. Quick question: we're going to be in San Juan next month and as a native of San Juan, can you suggest any off-the-beaten-path type of things to do, or authentic local restaurants? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reading and for your words.

How long will you be staying and in what area? Are you cruising from San Juan or just on a port day?

Thank you very much for giving an excellent review. You took 2 tours we are taking (Spencer Ambrose and Thenford Grey) next week. Seeing what we will be seeing is great. Now we know to look for certain stuff that we may have missed.

Howard

Thank you for reading! The tours with Spencer and with Thenford Grey were very cool (even as critical as I was of parts of the Thenford Grey one). One hint though: Don't be afraid to stop them and ask about anything you see and grabs your attention. After reading reviews like these, some people have and advantage over those that don't in that, like you said, you know now to look for some interesting things they might not mention off the bat. This will make not only your experience better but I'm sure it will do so for those that didn't have a clue.

You took 2 tours we are taking (Spencer Ambrose and Thenford Grey) next week. Seeing what we will be seeing is great. d

I would say Jalouise beach in St. Lucia. It was basically no waves, easy to get in/out (no deep drop offs or wrestling between sand and waves) and the underwater experience is just amazing! Spencer just opened up a new tour that runs about 3 1/2 hours that got to two beaches (one of them is Jalouise) for a 1 hour snorkel stop. If you're not into hanging around the beach for a while after snorkeling, this might be a good tour. Me? I am torn. The "Beach Break" tour is more expensive, stops at only one beach but you stay half a day there basically as opposed to just one hour at two beaches. We want to just snorkel when we return (we have all been to/ seen the volcano etc.) so we'll have to weight these two options with care when we plan our return.

I have still been enjoying your review (in between school work and when I need a break).

Mention of Jalousie Beach sparked my memory....If you check out the website now for their snorkeling adventure, they used my pictures for their website. My daughter is also on there diving down too. :D

It was my pleasure to invite you all to our cruise experience. You know I didn't know about the pastries in the theater, though. I guess I'll keep an eye out next time.

I wouldn't have known about them either but that's where we had to meet up with our post-cruise excursion, so we went to the buffet early. From the sound of it you were leaving the ship about the time we were starting the Bacardi factory tour.:)

Thanks for such a great review! I have really enjoyed it. My DH and I are taking this cruise in March for our 20th anniversary, and so I've been paying attention to everything you've written. You've answered a lot of questions I had and given some great recommendations. We decided to book the Spencer Ambrose tour based on your review. I'm so excited!!!

We arrive in San Juan the Friday before the cruise. We're staying at the Sheraton right at the port. Figured we'd walk around Old San Juan and see the sights on Friday, but we're still trying to decided how to spend Saturday. We've already been told that we absolutely must eat dinner at Raices. Other than that we are open to suggestions. Thought about a tour to the rain forest, or maybe just go to one of the beaches. Any recommendations?

I have still been enjoying your review (in between school work and when I need a break).

Mention of Jalousie Beach sparked my memory....If you check out the website now for their snorkeling adventure, they used my pictures for their website. My daughter is also on there diving down too. :D

I knew I those pictures looked familiar!! I saw the new snorkeling adventure they have and we are considering it for our 2018 trip. But only 1 hr. at each beach? I don't know... Seems like it'll feel a bit rushed. Although Anse Chastanet looks like a very interesting (and new for us) place to snorkel. We'll see...

I wouldn't have known about them either but that's where we had to meet up with our post-cruise excursion, so we went to the buffet early. From the sound of it you were leaving the ship about the time we were starting the Bacardi factory tour.:)

How did you like the tour? I haven't read much about it since they changed it a while ago to the one they have now that has different levels/experiences to choose from.

Thanks for such a great review! I have really enjoyed it. My DH and I are taking this cruise in March for our 20th anniversary, and so I've been paying attention to everything you've written. You've answered a lot of questions I had and given some great recommendations. We decided to book the Spencer Ambrose tour based on your review. I'm so excited!!!

We arrive in San Juan the Friday before the cruise. We're staying at the Sheraton right at the port. Figured we'd walk around Old San Juan and see the sights on Friday, but we're still trying to decided how to spend Saturday. We've already been told that we absolutely must eat dinner at Raices. Other than that we are open to suggestions. Thought about a tour to the rain forest, or maybe just go to one of the beaches. Any recommendations?

I'm honored that you decided to book a tour based on my impressions. I know you will have a great time!

Raices restaurant, while authentic and local, is a bit touristy (you'll see why when you get there). The food is good though and not over priced. For a more of a local experience you can also try Punto de Vista or Barrachina (a bit pricier than the other two). Old San Juan changes character from day to night and goes from touristy to vibrant and romantic. So you can explore during the day and stroll around during the night. Are you planing to rent a car for your stay? Let me know so I can make some suggestions on things to do either at El Yunque, a beach or alternate things.

Sparks..

How did you like the Bacardi factory tour? We are doing it after we get of the ship.

Sparks..

How did you like the Bacardi factory tour? We are doing it after we get of the ship.

We really enjoyed it. We booked the excursion to have something to do while waiting for our hotel check in time and the city tour/Bacardi Factory fit the bill quite nicely. If I had to do it again (without having to worry about luggage, i.e. the day before or after the cruise) then I would do the rum tasting tour or the mixology tour (they offer three tours and the one we took was the shortest of the three). We did get to try some samples and lunch at the onsite restaurant was very good (not included in the tour).

I'm honored that you decided to book a tour based on my impressions. I know you will have a great time!

Raices restaurant, while authentic and local, is a bit touristy (you'll see why when you get there). The food is good though and not over priced. For a more of a local experience you can also try Punto de Vista or Barrachina (a bit pricier than the other two). Old San Juan changes character from day to night and goes from touristy to vibrant and romantic. So you can explore during the day and stroll around during the night. Are you planing to rent a car for your stay? Let me know so I can make some suggestions on things to do either at El Yunque, a beach or alternate things.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. We'll have 2 dinners to do so this gives us good options. I love the thought of having a more local experience.

We hadn't planned on renting a car. I tend to get antsy trying to navigate a new city, so I'd rather keep it low key and let somebody else deal with the traffic. :)

Save

That's awesome...small world and congrats!!! :) In 2013, after our Valor cruise, Spencer contacted me asking if they to use some of my pictures of Jalousie Beach, which were still on there when I was booking the "Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure" for our Liberty cruise in 2015. So glad they're using yours too...betcha it's your underwater pictures. :D The cruise lines really should consider some of your pictures for their brochures/websites (yours too Stinger-pr).

I knew I those pictures looked familiar!! I saw the new snorkeling adventure they have and we are considering it for our 2018 trip. But only 1 hr. at each beach? I don't know... Seems like it'll feel a bit rushed. Although Anse Chastanet looks like a very interesting (and new for us) place to snorkel. We'll see...

I'm going to have to get on his site and check that out, I haven't seen Mitsugirly's pictures yet, but I haven't been on Spencer's site recently since we won't be cruising this year. :( And if you hadn't mentioned it to someone else, I wouldn't have known that they added a snorkeling tour.

You know where I work and you know that you can see the ship pass in the distance as it approaches San Juan. I've recently gone back to working nights and most Sundays during the pre-dawn hours I see the ship in the distance. I gotta tell you that they don't really stick to a set arrival time. I never see the ship in the same place at the same time every Sunday. The schedule is for an arrival time of 7am so as long as they are moored by then, they can approach the bay seemingly when they please. So that means that the time the pass El Morro can vary. I was passing in front of it around 6:10-6:15am. It was still somewhat dark, though but I used big apertures, long exposures (as long as I could without getting blurry photos) and always fiddling with the ISO settings. I also shoot RAW format and post-process using Lightroom for color correction and sometimes adding some light back in to the photos. A lot of times, the subject was darker than it seems in the photo. Lightroom+RAW helps a lot with that.

That delayed debarkation seems to be more common than not. I guess that the new staggered check in format will help ease up the workload for the staff during the turn around period.

Thank you for reading and sticking around. It took me long enough!! I am still cooking up a bit of a "tour" of San Juan to really put a bookend on this.

As you know I was weary about a ship this old and this small doing this route but the ship is in great shape other than a bit dated deco (which I hope they work on during the dry dock on Jan-Feb. 2018) and the smaller crowd really made it a more enjoyable trip. Now let's see how we do cruising with 5 in the same room in '18 (although I really hope we can get two rooms). I would recommend this ship any day after our experience.

I also just learned that apparently Felipe Quoto is leaving the Fascination soon, being replaced by Marcelo "Marshmallow" who subbed for Felipe during his vacation time. I cruised with Felipe the first time and while he was great, Marcelo is SO much more of a fit for this ship and the crowd it pulls in. Our week with Marcelo was simply AMAZING!!

Yep, sure do! :D We (OK, I) actually saw Liberty sail past that morning. It was about 4:45am but since she isn't a speedboat, she was still out there after my *attempt* at pictures when I went back to bed around 5. I didn't set my alarm to get up that morning though, just happened to wake up and decided to go and look. I did set the alarm for 5:30am on our Valor cruise to get up to see if I could see Valor out there from the hotel, but never did. I found out that she was already docked. Thanks for the photo tips. I started using RAW for our Liberty cruise but didn't anticipate how much space on a memory card it would take up, so after St. Thomas I adjusted back from RAW to the highest JPG quality (or whatever the technical term is). Next time I'll be better prepared. I'll also have to check out Lightroom, so thanks for mentioning it.

Felipe was supposed to be our CD on Liberty but the week we went is the week that they were in Miami, so we had a back-up, "Classy" Cassie. We thought she was OK, but it sounded like she "grated" nerves of some others we talked to. The guy who was assistant CD that week (never did get his name :o) was pretty decent. I've also heard of "Marshmallow" but don't believe we've ever experienced him. I can't tell you who our CD's were. But after seeing yours and Mitsugirly's reviews, I think Fascination would be a perfect fit. I like the idea of smaller crowd.

I am so glad that you're going to be adding a "tour" of San Juan...so I'll stay tuned!

Thank you for reading and for your words.

How long will you be staying and in what area? Are you cruising from San Juan or just on a port day?

We will be aboard the MSC Divina making port in San Juan Wednesday, March 22 from 8 am - 4 pm. We have previously toured El Morro. Thanks again.

Fantastic review. Just booked this this week as a last minute girls getaway. We are taking a lot of your ideas for our excursions :D Next we are reading Mitsugirly's review to see what she does/recommends.

We are going to rent a car for the day when we arrive and would love any suggestions of things to see and do. Haven't been to San Juan since 2005.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. We'll have 2 dinners to do so this gives us good options. I love the thought of having a more local experience.

We hadn't planned on renting a car. I tend to get antsy trying to navigate a new city, so I'd rather keep it low key and let somebody else deal with the traffic. :)

Save

Since you'll also probably be looking for a place for breakfast, try Café Mallorca on calle san Francisco or La Bombonera. Lots of out-of-town folks love and recommend Cafe Mallorca the most but you can't go wrong with either. If you want to really go "grass-roots" and eat like a local try Cafe Manolín. This is actually where a lot of workers from the area have lunch during the week. It's a no-frill dinner type of place and most of the food they serve is really what we serve daily at our tables.

If you're interested in the rain forest and the beach, there are a few vendors that do "full day" tours to el Yunque and Luquillo beach (which is one of our best). If you want to go all out on Saturday, try to get a Rainforest/Luquillo beach/Bio Bay combo or mix and match. I don't really recommend tour companies or vendors since it's not something I could recommend out of experience (and it might be against forum rules anyway). But do a little research in the San Juan section of the Port of Call part of the forum. There are tons of suggestions and experiences there. But, those three places I mentioned are easily do-able withing a full day.

That's awesome...small world and congrats!!! :) In 2013, after our Valor cruise, Spencer contacted me asking if they to use some of my pictures of Jalousie Beach, which were still on there when I was booking the "Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure" for our Liberty cruise in 2015. So glad they're using yours too...betcha it's your underwater pictures. :D The cruise lines really should consider some of your pictures for their brochures/websites (yours too Stinger-pr).

I'm going to have to get on his site and check that out, I haven't seen Mitsugirly's pictures yet, but I haven't been on Spencer's site recently since we won't be cruising this year. :( And if you hadn't mentioned it to someone else, I wouldn't have known that they added a snorkeling tour.

I actually found out about the new tour over at the St. Lucia board in the Ports of Call section. Definitely interested about that "snorkel in Anse Chastanet" part.