Which Beach from Crown Bay?

IrieMRP

Hello! We will be in St.Thomas next week, and I just found out we will now be docking in Crown Bay. We are still trying to pick a beach for the day, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction! We are currently considering Water Island, Sapphire Beach, or Magan's Bay. We have ruled out St. John due to the fact that we will be the only ship on St. Thomas so crowds shouldn't be too much of an issue. Our biggest priority is a beautiful beach with calm water and chair rentals available. Good snorkeling is a plus as I will have my own gear with me, but not a deal breaker. I am really torn on where we should go! I have a few questions about each beach and would really appreciate any feedback anyone might be able to offer!

Magen's: what would the taxi time/ cost be from Crown Bay? Is the ride twisty/ turny? I have terrible car motion sickness so looking for an "easy" short trip somewhere.

Sapphire: what would the taxi time/ cost be from Crown Bay? Are there cabs readily available to return to ship? Any restaurant facilities?

Water Island: with one ship in port, should we expect big crowds?

What would you pick for a day and why! Thank you in advance for any help!! [emoji3]

Why aren't you considering Emerald Beach aka Lindbergh Bay? That's the closest to Crown Bay so no twisty roads to get there. There are 2 small hotels on the beach so there are chair rentals and food and drink.

It's not the best snorkeling beach, but someone reviewed it a few weeks ago and said they saw fish. Turtles have been spotted there in the past.

I like exploring around Emerald. If you walk the beach to the right and go all the way to the end you can go out to the road and take a left and walk down that road to the end for a gorgeous hilltop view of the ocean. There's a vantage point where you can see rocks down below and what looks like a small cave.

There is another restaurant there, too, but it may not be open. Very nice out of the way atmosphere.

The other beaches you mention are nice but with Emerald so close why waste time getting to those other beaches?

Ms411- You bring up a good point! I originally eliminated it as an option assuming it would be busier than the other options considering it is so close to the port and we are the only ship docked that day! While I am very much drawn to the natural beauty and hotel-lessness of the east end beaches, I may need to consider Emerald as a trade off for skipping the difficult drive :)

I vote Emerald also. We docked at Crown Bay and was a quick trip. Loved it there. No many cruise passenger know about it. We have a nice lunch at the restaurant there also. If you go to Sapphire you will be fighting the crowds to get back to the ship later on in the day.

• 2 months later...
Sapphire is a long way from where you will be docking. We enjoyed Emerald on our last stop in St. Thomas. Several ships in port but not busy at all. :)

Quick question. How far is Sapphire from Crown Bay? How long of a taxi drive?

Thanks very much.

It's Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach), and that is a good choice if docked at Crown and a good snorkel beach isn't a requirement. The Emerald Beach Resort and the island Beachcomber are two spots to relax at, we like the vibe and food at IB.

For a gorgeous beach and water colors and island views and good snorkeling Sapphire is a longer taxi but...

But with Lindbergh so close that is much more convenient.

We found Honeymoon Beach on Water Island to be very crowded when we went there for the day and there was just one ship which was docked at Crown. We just had lunch at Dinghy's and tried to swim there with all the charters there and headed back to Sapphire.