Koninsdam Q&A

jenp123

and then you have a hassle to get a standing reservation at the time you want. Took me 3 people until they agreed to 7 pm. Each night they send you a card with the dining time and if you go to a specialty restaurant you might get 2 notices.

That's odd. We had friends with anytime dining and they had no issues - they went around 7:30 every night and never had a wait for a table for 2. We had different people sitting around us each night that were anytime (we had 8:15 fixed) and never heard complaints from them.

If you have Anytime Dining, how well is it working!

It worked well when we sailed this summer. We made reservations the first day on board for nights we were not eating in a specialty restaurant. We were looking for a table for four around 8pm. There was only one night when at the time of booking only a table for six was available but on the actual night we got a table for four.

Putting price aside, how well did the internet function?

Same as jtl - it wasn't bad really. I was able to upload a photo in about 15-20 or so seconds from my iPhone to postimage.

The internal network was incredibly fast though.

Edited by sppunk

About usual for HAL - not terrible, not great. I didn't run a speed test.

You actually can't run a speedtest. Those websites are blocked (in my experience with trying).

We were on the ship 40 days. Aside from the first day, and the 8-9 hour in the morning. It was more than adequate to check mail (in and out in less than a minute). If you expect to stream movies (aside from the per minute cost), forget it!

You actually can't run a speedtest. Those websites are blocked (in my experience with trying).
I have on several HAL ships, although I haven't tried in my last three cruises (2 years). I will try it in two weeks and try to remember to report my results.

Edited by jtl513

What does the gelato cost?

$2 for a 2-scoop cone or cup.

Ice cream in the Lido--do they still have several flavors?

I think just chocolate, vanilla, and something else ordinary that I don't remember.

Can you remember the nightly non-fish specials at Sel de Mer? Are they posted ahead somewhere?

They are the same every week, so you only need to stop by and check the menu there. I'm sure it has been posted on this forum, because that influenced the night we chose to book in advance.

edit: see Plats du Jour in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49801527&postcount=42

Saturday and Sunday are in a separate photo a little further down the post.

Edited by catl331

Thank you so much for the info on Sel de Mer. It sounds so yummy.

Now, have you visited the thermal suite? Early reports were negative but the pictures I have seen are wonderful. We are on TA with 8 sea days so I think I would really use it. Several people commented on how access was not controlled so lots of people just walked in and used the heated pool. Was it crowded?

Have you been for a walk on alleyway deck. Is it devoid of life and interest, having no deck chairs. Do you have to turn sideways in the narrow parts if others are coming through.

Is there a well stocked library with large books with color prints, and such.

Is it busy, crowded, at any choke points.

Any teething issues still.....

Thanks for reporting on the Kdam.....have a great cruise.....

Have you been for a walk on alleyway deck. Yes

Is it devoid of life and interest, having no deck chairs. Pretty much. I would walk 2 or 3 laps each morning and never saw more than 5 or 6 people. Usually fewer.

Do you have to turn sideways in the narrow parts if others are coming through. Slightly. I would say the narrowest part is about 5 feet wide, but since it's so lightly used (compared other HAL ships) I only recall passing people in the narrowest part twice in four days.

Is there a well stocked library with large books with color prints, and such.

No. Picture below is what we found early Nov. That's the whole thing. Mostly books and magazines on cruise ports. You couldn't check out books to read elsewhere.

Is it busy, crowded, at any choke points.

I don't recall ever feeling crowded, but we generally eat at off-peak times. The one time we tried the NY Deli it was very busy and it took quite a while to get our food.

2rlyxq1.jpg

Edited by catl331

Now, have you visited the thermal suite? Early reports were negative but the pictures I have seen are wonderful. We are on TA with 8 sea days so I think I would really use it. Several people commented on how access was not controlled so lots of people just walked in and used the heated pool. Was it crowded?

I usually was in there in the morning (8:30-9:30 or so), and never saw more than 4 people. DW wife often went in the afternoon, and she said there were often a few more, but never had to wait for a lounger.