Kusadasi & Istanbul Itinerary Ideas

With some of the cruise lines starting to put Turkish ports back on their Eastern Mediterranean itineraries next year, I've put together photos and stories of our visits to Kusadasi and Istanbul on the Crystal Symphony. We used a wonderful guide in Kusadasi (link is in the blog) who showed us the magnificent Ephesus and several other places; we toured the fabulous attractions in the old section of Istanbul on our own.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/kusadasi-turkey-ephesus-marys-house-temple-artemis/

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/memories-istanbul-exploring-old-sultanahmet/

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

I think that after yesterday's bombing in Istanbul and today's in Cairo the cruise lines won't be rushing back to Turkish ports.

From what has been reported so far, it appears that in the Istanbul bombings, police officers were probably targeted, making it sound like it was the PKK.

It's terrible that Coptics seem to have been targeted in the Cairo bombing. However, I'm not sure what that has to do with visits to Turkey....

cruisemom

Yes, seems PKK is responsible for the recent Istanbul bombing. Turkish resorts have been very popular with Europeans for land holidays, but I think they will think twice before booking their next year summer holiday.

Cairo doesn't really have anything to do with Istanbul, but Egypt seems to have been targeted a lot in recent years and has more or less ruined a lot of their tourism.

My partner and I went to Luxor on a land holiday two consecutive years about five years ago. We loved it and would like to visit again, but not in the near future.

The Red Sea resorts have suffered also as they had been very popular winter destinations for many Brits, Germans and Northern Europeans.

Our cruise line has just changed the itinerary to eliminate stops in Turkey and our cruise isn't until July 2017. It's unfortunate but it appears that the recent bombings have impacted cruise ship visits (at least mine's).

Most cruise lines have been replacing Turkey ports.

DW and I really enjoy Turkey and have been there many times on both land and cruise visits. But given the current situation in that country it is now a place we will not visit until there are some major changes. President Erdogan seems to be going out of his way to alienate much of the free world (Turkey used to be a very free place) and his policies have led to an increasing dangerous situation in Turkey. Some cruise lines have already canceled all their 2017 visits to Turkey, which seems to be a wise decision. If and when things stabilize in that country, DW and I will be among the first to jump on a flight and visit. But for now, no way.

I want to emphasize that the people of Turkey have always treated us with the greatest respect and we have never had a bad experience when traveling around that country. But we have lost any faith in the ability of the current Turkish government to provide us with the necessary security.,,,and have no trust in their authorities. It pains me to say this about a NATO country, but one cannot ignore the facts. And lastly we are posting the link the to the US Department of State's latest Travel Warning:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

SPacificbound: So glad to know you enjoyed the photos! I hope you will be able to keep your Istanbul plans...such a fabulous destination and so sad what has happened recently.

HLitner & Londontowner: Thanks for posting the travel updates for Turkey. We also felt incredibly safe and welcome when we visited. The best thing U.S. travelers can do is to keep up-to-date with State Dept. information and make decisions accordingly.

HLitner

Like you, I have visited Turkey quite a number of times and felt completely safe, but won't be visiting again in the near future. Most of the terrorist attacks in Turkey are carried out by the PKK.

I honestly find the entire political situation in Turkey....totally baffling. Consider that the Turks have a relatively long history (more then 70 years) of democracy which includes full women's rights (and the right to vote). Yet, the population now seems to be doing everything possible to support ending their democratic process. In a sense, the women of Turkey are also helping to destroy their own rights. Very strange.

Hank

HLitner

I first went to Istanbul in the early 70s and loved it. Even all those years ago it was an easy going liberal place. I had taken my Mum and even two women alone, we never felt uncomfortable. On the contrary, everybody was very polite.

Since then I have been to Turkey a few times over the years and have found it comparable to Southern Europe.

I agree they are going backwards. WSnt it Attaturk who made it a secular country. Unfortunately, it is becoming more Islamist. I sincerely hope it never becomes part of the EU.