Burial at Sea urn

kstom1

Planning on burying my mom's ashes at sea from Allure in August. Received the letter from RCCL approving the burial. Need some direction on a type of urn/container that is accepted through TSA and biodegradable as the ship required. Ashes are in a basic box purchased from the funeral home. Unsure that the box is biodegradable. Thanks.

Planning on burying my mom's ashes at sea from Allure in August. Received the letter from RCCL approving the burial. Need some direction on a type of urn/container that is accepted through TSA and biodegradable as the ship required. Ashes are in a basic box purchased from the funeral home. Unsure that the box is biodegradable. Thanks.

I am so very sorry for your loss. There are biodegradable type urns. I have purchased one for when it is my time- so my kids can do just what you are doing- take a cruise and let my ashes go in the carribean. Here is a link. http://www.stardust-memorials.com/water-burial-urns.html I hope this is helpful.

I purchased the one for my husband's cremains from the funeral home that did the cremation. I drove to the port so I can't comment on TSA requirements.

The ceremony took place on the aft with the urn tossed into the wake so no problem with floating. This was on Brilliance of the Seas last month.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14925699_1125018777553440_630728770576259265_n.jpg?oh=8d8371e8ad3e065d0e5ebaefdee06d38&oe=58EE6640

Edited by KroozFoolz

I am so very sorry for your loss. There are biodegradable type urns. I have purchased one for when it is my time- so my kids can do just what you are doing- take a cruise and let my ashes go in the carribean. Here is a link. http://www.stardust-memorials.com/water-burial-urns.html I hope this is helpful.

We used two of these in October on Carnival going to Hawaii.

We had the mortuary place the ashes into the biodegradable interior plastic bag.

The only issue was at embarkation. We had both of them in a wheeled carryon, the screener had never encountered ashes thru the scanner before.

Edited by SadieN

The only issue was at embarkation. We had both of them in a wheeled carryon, the screener had never encountered ashes thru the scanner before.

I anticipated some questions at embarkation but nothing was said. I had the cremains in the carrying case for my husband's cpap machine, which I was used to lugging onto the ship. It was easy to collapse and put into my luggage for the trip home.

Here's a very good thread on the Princess board about spreading ashes at sea. Our experience was similar on Carnival. We didn't notify the ship ahead of time.

Distributing Ashes at Sea; Our Experience

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343418

Edited by SadieN

Last year we did a burial at sea on the Serenade. Our biodegradable urn was purchased from Inthelighturns.com. The urn which was a burial pillow came with an inner liner, tote, and instructions. All were TSA approved.

In The Light can be reached at (800)757-3488. Very helpful and personable people.

• biodegradable-water-burial-rose-petals-peaceful-pillowr-urn-584.jpg
  • Here is a thumbnail of the urn we purchased.

Necessary paperwork was only shown once.

Are you allowed to simply pour the ashes out? If so, that would eliminate the need for the biodegradable urn. My parents ashes were spread in a lake in MN. We poured my fathers ashes out of a fishing tackle box at the location on the lake where he enjoyed fishing. When my mother died the following year, we spread her ashes in the same place.

Are you allowed to simply pour the ashes out? If so, that would eliminate the need for the biodegradable urn. My parents ashes were spread in a lake in MN. We poured my fathers ashes out of a fishing tackle box at the location on the lake where he enjoyed fishing. When my mother died the following year, we spread her ashes in the same place.

It would be against the ship's rules to pour the ashes out while at sea, without being in an urn.

It would be against the ship's rules to pour the ashes out while at sea, without being in an urn.

Probably a good rule since the wind could be a factor. On the lake, we had family all on a pontoon and poured them in within a few inches of the water.

Probably a good rule since the wind could be a factor. On the lake, we had family all on a pontoon and poured them in within a few inches of the water.

True, the wind around a ship can be amazing. I would have thought, with no real effort that if might allow you to pour from a low deck far aft, but even then you can get weird drafts to carry things back to the ship. On the Oasis class I've seen things blow off the pool deck circle around on the aft, then get sucked into the boardwalk.