Celebrity and Oceania Riviera.

dinosaurdem

Same debate was waged on the Oceania forum regarding Celebrity and comparing the two. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1617184

It started in 2012 but was recently resurrected.

We have done only Celebrity cruises and are going on Oceania in February. Looking forward to it. What attracted us was the itinerary. In my opinion, it is considerably more expensive. I did a comparison for the cruise, without "freebies", without airfare, just the cruise in comparable cabins and I posted it and began a "money is not everything" string. It is correct that money is not everything and we chose Oceania for the itinerary but money is very much a determining factor for many of us when choosing a cruise.

Here is what I posted;

"As for price, a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox 10 day at Concierge level is $1864 USD (2949 CAD) or Aqua class for $3,039 CAD ($2267 USD) and Oceania A3 - Concierge Level Veranda 10 day is 3699 USD. Quite a difference."

I am looking forward to our February cruise, as we do for all cruises and vacations and will "judge" on our return.

I am looking forward to our February cruise, as we do for all cruises and vacations and will "judge" on our return.

Yes, please get back to us with a review on the Celebrity board when you return. I am interested and curious. I am particularly interested in the food - MDR, specialty restaurants, and buffet. We find the food on Celebrity to be "very good" to "excellent" but we choose carefully. How much better can the food be on Oceania?

How much better can the food be on Oceania?

I don't know. I was doing research on Regatta and their buffet has lobster and filet mignon on it every day. That sounds pretty good to me.

What I didn't like on Regatta was the fact that many cruisers had a problem getting a table for two, especially for the specialty restaurants (that are free).

And you really have to get a drink package because their drinks are very expensive, and the pours are small, (I read 1.5 oz. for a glass of wine).

For pricing, some TAs that do a lot of business with Oceania give you money back after the cruise, so while they're more expensive, if you get the right TA it might not be that much more.

This is just what I researched on Regatta.:)

Edited by mafig

I don't know. I was doing research on Regatta and their buffet has lobster and filet mignon on it every day. That sounds pretty good to me.

What I didn't like on Regatta was the fact that many cruisers had a problem getting a table for two, especially for the specialty restaurants (that are free).

And you really have to get a drink package because their drinks are very expensive, and the pours are small, (I read 1.5 oz. for a glass of wine).

For pricing, some TAs that do a lot of business with Oceania give you money back after the cruise, so while they're more expensive, if you get the right TA it might not be that much more.

This is just what I researched on Regatta.:)

There is no way their wine pours are 1 1/2 oz

My TA would have to give me $1000 or more for Oceania to be comparable on a 10 day cruise. That ain't gonna happen. Anyway, my TA gives me as much as $300 in OBC on Celebrity.

Yes, please get back to us with a review on the Celebrity board when you return. I am interested and curious. I am particularly interested in the food - MDR, specialty restaurants, and buffet. We find the food on Celebrity to be "very good" to "excellent" but we choose carefully. How much better can the food be on Oceania?

I will do that. We rally like Celebrity but Oceania ha dthe itinerary we really like so chose that.

As for food. It is probably the most debatable subject on cruise forums (with exception of Formal nights on Celebrity :))

Our experience on Celebrity is that there is enough variety to please everyone. The buffet has so much to choose form that if you complain about something, it is your fault for choosing that item :)

Anytime you get food prepared by someone else, served to you and then clean up after you..it is a good meal. I have never had a "bad"meal on Celebrity.

Anytime you get food prepared by someone else, served to you and then clean up after you..it is a good meal. I have never had a "bad"meal on Celebrity.

Now if it is true that Oceania has lobster and filet mignon everyday for lunch in the buffet (as posted above), that would get my attention. However, I like my filet and lobster fresh and hot off the grill and I am not sure you would get that in a buffet on any ship.

Now if it is true that Oceania has lobster and filet mignon everyday for lunch in the buffet (as posted above), that would get my attention. However, I like my filet and lobster fresh and hot off the grill and I am not sure you would get that in a buffet on any ship.

I can assure you it is fresh off the grill. It is made to order (grilled lobster tail and steak, and mahi Mahi), in the grill section of the Terrace Cafe on All Oceania ships, at dinner every night.

Also forgot to mention, the Terrace Cafe Buffet, in the grill section, has lollipop lamb chops every night, as well as extra large shrimp. Of course, all are cooked to order, and you can order as many as you would like. The "Buffet" also serves the same main course as the MDR each night. So when you have chateaubriand in the MDR, it is also offered in the Terrace, as well as king crab,etc. and I can say, that the wine pours are standard...what was mentioned in a post mentioned above, was the liquor pours are 1.5 oz.

We have been on several Celebrity Cruises, and Blu and Luminae are very good, but we like the smaller more intimate ships of O at this time. This doesn't mean for the right itinerary we would not cruise Celebrity again.

It should not be one line vs another, IMHO, it should be whatever you feel is important at a particular time. We cruise on several lines, and each has their pluses and minuses.

Edited by Cruseforme

Don't forget O has Waves Grill poolside (and view of the ocean) with a Luminea quality lunch, like a Surf & Turf sandwich of Lobster and Fillet. Ice cream parlor and they churn all that on the ship. Nice teak chairs and tables plus no smoking. Obviously far better than Mast Grill, but you paid for it in your fare.

On X Cafe Bacio is so good and would be my favorite. The newer O ships the location of Baristas overlooking the pool is a winner but the coffee doesn't seem as good as X and very few sweets. O uses Illy and what looks like the right equipment so not sure what's missing.

I like mixing O and X for variety. On O the ship is so quite it is kind of dull. All the O food is better (especially the specialties), the ship furnishings are better because everyone on the ship is paying a much higher price than on X. There are no cheap rooms even inside pays $300+/day.

On X the S class ships IMO are far more enjoyable. For the same price my suite will be bigger than O's PH with a better bathroom (currently but X prices are rising fast). The Luminea food is very good, but you get far more choices on O.

With X's suite prices rising so much they are making it likely I will shop around. X seems to be selling out all the suites so I guess it is working for them, and they won't miss me.

Edited by floatplan
typos

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, Oceania restaurants are not consistently better, in our opinion, but they benefit from hype. Most we thought were close. Toscana we thought was worse. Oceania's grill we thought was better. Blu is the clear winner for breakfast. In Oceania's MDR the eggs benedict consistently had runny whites. One morning we tried three times. Blu's whole grains and yoghurt were excellent. Red Ginger was a clear winner. Qsine is a clear loser, except for the show.

Edited by dinosaurdem