Dining with kids

Mrsdigi

When you say "regular dining" assume that you are referring to traditional dining. If so, when you booked and requested traditional dining you would have been asked if you wanted early or late seating, and what size table you preferred.

Early dining is normally around 6:00 p.m. And late or second seating is around 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. Table sizes are from 2 to 10 people and you have the same table mates each evening.

Suggest checking your confirmation or checking with whomever you booked with.

You will likely be seated with another family...they won't seat those with kids with couples or singles....

Early seating is best for kids....that way, they can take part in the kid's activities in the evening.

Our first cruise kids 8 and 10 and we were sat at a table for 8. Two other couples, one in their 50's and one in their 30's so yes they could seat those with kids with people without.:rolleyes:

You will likely be seated with another family...they won't seat those with kids with couples or singles....

Early seating is best for kids....that way, they can take part in the kid's activities in the evening.

Neither statement is true. Had kids seated at an adult table - family actually requested to be moved to a table with kids.

Activities continue all evening. Some families prefer second seating so they have time to get ready for dinner after a busy day. Some prefer kids to take a late afternoon nap and then stay up late.

Very much a personal decision based on age, what kids are used to, etc.

Me and my daughter got put at one of the biggest sized tables; all couples with no kids. We even made friends on that cruise who had no issue hanging out with a 10 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Neither statement is true. Had kids seated at an adult table - family actually requested to be moved to a table with kids.

Activities continue all evening. Some families prefer second seating so they have time to get ready for dinner after a busy day. Some prefer kids to take a late afternoon nap and then stay up late.

Very much a personal decision based on age, what kids are used to, etc.

In our experience there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to how they seat guests together. We have sat with people of all ages, kids, no kids.

But how would you know that if you had never left your Basement and been on a cruise;):p

That's not true. Of course you will never see this nor respond, so I have no idea why I'm even posting. LOL

That's not true. Of course you will never see this nor respond, so I have no idea why I'm even posting. LOL

It's good typing practice at the very least.:)

Seriously, it's good for others who may not know the correct answer.

Edited by clarea

Thanks everyone. We've only cruised once with the kids and we were with extended family so we all sat together. We are doing early dining and then they come and get the kids for kids club starting second night, I think. First time on Royal. I like meeting others and would be happy to sit with other people or sit with just the four of us; I was just curious if there was a rhyme or reason to how searing arrangements are made when little kids are involved. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moopetguy and I have always specifically requested to be seated at a table with other families with kids. This has allowed our DD to make a friend early in the cruise, and it can be easier for some little ones to meet in a small controlled setting with parents (your child and experience may vary). Then they end up going up to Adventure Ocean together after dinner.

DD is still penpals and occasionally Skypes with a previous cruise buddy. It's pretty cute, actually.

You *can* request to be seated with another family and it has been my personal experience that RCL honors this. You don't have to, though. Both times we have done it, the families we were seated with didn't know we had made such a request nor that you could.

If you are specifically looking for a dining experience where your kids will make friends their own age, this is definitely something to request. If it doesn't really matter, then RCL doesn't seem to have any specific way to group guests.

One more thought on dining with kids...

You may get an excellent waiter, or you may get one who...well...dawdles. We've had both. I never mind if the waiter dawdles slightly, as I am super talkative and won't notice... until it is 6:30pm and I'm still waiting for DDs dinner. If she's being picked up at 6:40, this annoys me. But it's not always the waiters fault.

Best way around this, I have found, is to make sure the waiter knows on the very first night that you are planning on having your kid(s) picked up by the AO staff every (or most) night and they need to be done their dessert by 6:40pm (pickup is between 6:40-6:50, and if you miss it, the AO doors don't open until 7pm).

Even on our last cruise, where we left less than awesome reviews for our waitstaff (kinda the slowest service we've ever had), they were superb about getting DDs dinner and dessert (as well as the food for the other kids at the table) out ahead of the adult meals so they could be fed and gone on time. We grown ups then got to leisurely sip our wine and eat our desserts sans kids every night.

We noticed on the first night that the trend was going to be towards slow service, and so I said something after dinner. From then on, the adult meals still took a while, but the kids meals were speedy fast.

This is the first I've heard about the AO staff coming to take your child from the dining room. Is this available with MTD as well? And on the Harmony? How does one go about arranging for this? Would love to be able to enjoy dinner without stressing over how long the service might take and leaving to take the 4 year old to AO

This is the first I've heard about the AO staff coming to take your child from the dining room. Is this available with MTD as well? And on the Harmony? How does one go about arranging for this? Would love to be able to enjoy dinner without stressing over how long the service might take and leaving to take the 4 year old to AO

I believe My Family Time Dining requires early traditional dining.

AO staff meet outside one of the dining rooms between 6:40-6:50pm every evening. They will tell you which one at orientation on day one. Once your child/ren is/are registered, you just show up at the designated time and place and the AO staff will be there to collect them.

if they don't say anything to you at registration on day one, make sure you ask which dining room the pick up is at. It is always at the same time. It gives parents a chance to enjoy dessert and conversation.

I was super nervous the first time we used the pick up service, because DD is a runner - or rather she was when she was smaller. But they get them up there safely, and all is well. The AO staff seems really well-trained. It has always been a highlight for us.

It is my understanding this service is available on all the ships that have adventure ocean.

Edited by moopetswife
Typo

I always think the same thing when I respond to one of CB's erroneous posts.. I have decided that I post to inform/warn newbies or others with the same question, or any other other question for that matter, that CB's posts are not the most reliable as far as correct info goes. I am sure we have all posted wrong info from time to time, but she does it ALL the time and never returns to say she is sorry or to correct her erroneous post...go figure. :confused:

BTW, to the OP...We have also been seated at a table with young children when we had no children with us.

Edited by Rala
additional info