Regretting my Choice

scarlet-amelia

Agreed on the Spa Balcony upgrade if you can swing it! Our next upcoming cruise in Feb is in a spa balcony, so excited. If you are not past final payment you could look into it and if it's doable it might be worth it! Rest easy that it's a beautiful ship, lots to do , and I'm sure you will have fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I thought 8710 sounded familiar ..... here is a cute fast speed youtube video of the walk from the forward elevators to the stateroom

and here is a video of the stateroom and balcony

Our sailing on the Getaway was our 13th NCL cruise. My signature says "best ship ever" which should tell you how we felt about the ship.

This video is from 2015 so some things are different but it gives you a good look at the ship including the waterfront :)

Have a wonderful cruise and a happy 50th birthday.

We always get the spa passes and they are worth it. You can pre-purchase and save some money. We have had the drink packages and find we do not drink enough. We have sailed on more NCL than any other line. We also have 4 more book for 2017. We get the lower priced cabins and enjoy them all.

I just want to say try and relax and enjoy the build up to what will be an incredible cruise for you and your husband. You both deserve it.

Please extend our thanks to your husband for the sacrifices he is making on behalf of all of us.

Your family is in our prayers for a safe return home to you.

Every ship we've sailed on - from the tiny American Hawaiian MANY years ago to the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas - has had something we liked and something we'd do differently.

What we've realized is to just roll with it. Don't expect perfect - expect fun and time together. We've found that on every cruise and every line whether we were in the inside cabin that was so small you had your feet in the shower when brushing your teeth, or the aft balcony that was bigger that that inside cabin twice over!

Edited by fdpevey

Thanks for all the information. Many of you have put my mind at ease...

Regarding the "you booked in september on impulse, but didn't research it until now" questions, I wanted to say a few things. Not every person's lives go perfectly as planned. My husband was deployed at the last minute (2 days notice). We booked our cruise quick before he left because he won't be home until very beginning of March, and he wanted us to do something special for my birthday. He wanted that sewed up before he left. We didn't have time to do the research as we were scrambling to get things in order for deployment. (new wills... power of attorney documents, packing.. completing unfinished business).

Once he left, all hell broke loose here at home. My mom had emergency surgery (she lives in Wisconsin, and I live in Missouri, so that meant traveling to be with her). I took care of her while she was recovering.. my dog ended up having spinal surgery due to an incident whilst we were there. Since being home, I've had a backed up sewer.. a tree fall on the house.. refrigerator died.. Issue with the plumbing in our bathroom (had to replace the main pipes, from our pump through the faucets). I remodeled the kitchen and bath, doing most of the work myself. I could go on and on. But my point being, people prioritize. And, in my world, researching our cruise ended up taking a back seat for a while. Sh*t happens. right? :)

I also wanted to mention that given the fact that this is our 6th cruise, I figured a "cruise is a cruise", and didn't anticipate any problems. But, I was wrong.

That being said.. the answers here were great, and really have put my mind at ease. I believe I will try for a "Vibe" pass, just because it is a quiet sun deck... closer to our room and closer to the main pool than the H2O area. I'm glad to know that I was wrong about the shows. (that is our favorite evening thing to do).

I'm not going to worry about the UBP. We will just drink and pay as we go. And, I'm really fine with eating at the main dining room, and the buffet, but may treat ourselves to a specialty restaurant one night.

I'm happy with our cabin, although, as one of the posters stated above, I'm not sure how wild and noisy of a ride we will have up front. We've never sailed near the bow before. We usually select a room in the back of the boat. But we will adapt. Since we have such a big balcony, it's certainly worth a try.

I have talked with my husband, and I think we will splurge on the spa passes. We've never been to the spa on a cruise before, and I think we may like it.

Anyway.. thanks for your help. I do feel quite a bit better

We got the Vibe pass our first Getaway cruise. We were not disappointed with it, but we opted not to do that on our 2nd time on her. We did get week long spa passed on our last cruise and enjoyed that more. We never had an issue with finding a nice place to get some sun. In fact there is a small sun deck one deck up form the Vibe area that is almost always completely vacant. Just loungers and chairs up there, but it is only a few steps down to the bar that is at the Vibe entrance. A nice tip each time you get a drink and a comment to the bar keep might even have them come up every once in a while to bring you a fresh drink.

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

I'm just sick about this.

Can someone either reassure me that it won't be so bad, or

offer a suggestion to get out of it?

You will love the Getaway. We have cruised on NCL, RCL, Carnival, Princess, Azamara and most recently Oceania. The Geteway may be the best ship we have been on. When cruising NCL we always eat in the specialty restaurants. True that costs extra but not too much when you buy the specialty dining package and it is well worth it. There are a lot of entertainment options on the ship and some of them do charge an extra fee but we thought the extra fee entertainment was well worth it. Have a great time.

Definitely buy the spa pass (in advance to get a discount). It is $ well spent. I never cruise NCL without the spa pass. I spend several hours a day in their spa just relaxing and enjoying the quiet time. You won't regret it!

Ok, we are just off the Getaway yesterday (12/11). As other posters said much of what you had stated is wrong. The waterfront area is wonderful and quite most of the time. Yes, several of the the restaurants have outdoor seating out there but it was little used most of the time. The main pool was crowded but the Spice H20 area, while not a pool, is great. Hot tubs and the water feature were very relaxing. Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet are both free and very good shows. There is also nearly always music in the evening in Sugarcanes and Groove international plays the Atrium and other areas and were very versatile (motown, reggae, dance hits, etc.) Howl out the moon is also free and good in Headliners. Great snorkeling in Roatan, and there will likely be a snorkeling excursion added to Harvest Caye by the time you sail, you have to remember the island only opened 2 weeks ago. Our sailing was full and the only time the ship felt crowded (other than the main pool) was disembarking yesterday morning in Miami. Relax!

Ok, we are just off the Getaway yesterday (12/11). As other posters said much of what you had stated is wrong. The waterfront area is wonderful and quite most of the time. Yes, several of the the restaurants have outdoor seating out there but it was little used most of the time. The main pool was crowded but the Spice H20 area, while not a pool, is great. Hot tubs and the water feature were very relaxing. Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet are both free and very good shows. There is also nearly always music in the evening in Sugarcanes and Groove international plays the Atrium and other areas and were very versatile (motown, reggae, dance hits, etc.) Howl out the moon is also free and good in Headliners. Great snorkeling in Roatan, and there will likely be a snorkeling excursion added to Harvest Caye by the time you sail, you have to remember the island only opened 2 weeks ago. Our sailing was full and the only time the ship felt crowded (other than the main pool) was disembarking yesterday morning in Miami. Relax!

How was the new cast in Million Dollar Quartet?

How was the new cast in Million Dollar Quartet?

I thought they were great! First time seeing it, so I don't have a comparison, but the guy playing Elvis was excellent in capturing the mannerisms. Musically all were good. The Jerry Lee character was physically the least similar to his role, but made up for that in talent. We loved it and saw the early show on the first night, so I think that was opening night for the new cast.

Regarding the "you booked in september on impulse, but didn't research it until now" questions, I wanted to say a few things. Not every person's lives go perfectly as planned. My husband was deployed at the last minute (2 days notice). We booked our cruise quick before he left because he won't be home until very beginning of March, and he wanted us to do something special for my birthday. He wanted that sewed up before he left. We didn't have time to do the research as we were scrambling to get things in order for deployment. (new wills... power of attorney documents, packing.. completing unfinished business).

Once he left, all hell broke loose here at home. My mom had emergency surgery (she lives in Wisconsin, and I live in Missouri, so that meant traveling to be with her). I took care of her while she was recovering.. my dog ended up having spinal surgery due to an incident whilst we were there. Since being home, I've had a backed up sewer.. a tree fall on the house.. refrigerator died.. Issue with the plumbing in our bathroom (had to replace the main pipes, from our pump through the faucets). I remodeled the kitchen and bath, doing most of the work myself. I could go on and on. But my point being, people prioritize. And, in my world, researching our cruise ended up taking a back seat for a while. Sh*t happens. right? :)

I also wanted to mention that given the fact that this is our 6th cruise, I figured a "cruise is a cruise", and didn't anticipate any problems. But, I was wrong.

That being said.. the answers here were great, and really have put my mind at ease. I believe I will try for a "Vibe" pass, just because it is a quiet sun deck... closer to our room and closer to the main pool than the H2O area. I'm glad to know that I was wrong about the shows. (that is our favorite evening thing to do).

I'm not going to worry about the UBP. We will just drink and pay as we go. And, I'm really fine with eating at the main dining room, and the buffet, but may treat ourselves to a specialty restaurant one night.

I'm happy with our cabin, although, as one of the posters stated above, I'm not sure how wild and noisy of a ride we will have up front. We've never sailed near the bow before. We usually select a room in the back of the boat. But we will adapt. Since we have such a big balcony, it's certainly worth a try.

I have talked with my husband, and I think we will splurge on the spa passes. We've never been to the spa on a cruise before, and I think we may like it.

I think the most important advice is that you need to go into the cruise with a positive attitude. Don't think about all the things that you didn't get, or all the negatives that you read about it, or whether you would have enjoyed a different cruiseline better. If you do, I 100% guarantee that you will have a miserable time.

Just embark upon your cruise expecting to have a good time, and you will. Think about what Mrs. Peacock said: "I have absolutely no idea what we're doing here. Or what I'm doing here, or what this place is about, but I am determined to enjoy myself. And I'm very intrigued, and, oh my, this soup's delicious, isn't it?" Adopt that attitude as your mantra. Even if the soup turns out to be monkey's brains soup!

OP - ignore all of the posts chastising you for not choosing certain packages/not doing your research. Not everyone has hours to spend researching every last detail.

I too booked a cruise last minute (last year). So last minute that I had to make full payment right away. Afterward I looked at posts on cc about the ship (the Spirit, an older, smaller ship). I started to have regrets and then stopped myself from reading the posts on here. I decided to go in with reasonable expectations and not let the small things bother me. We ended up having a great cruise! It wasn't perfect but nothing major enough to kill the vacation. My recommendation is to stop reading about the ship here on cc. Opinions are just that - opinions. Don't let them cloud your experience! I turn 50 this year too. Enjoy your cruise and time with your husband!

Hey, we sail Saturday. How was the weather while at sea? We've never been on a December cruise. I LOVE the waterfront and enjoy dining outside. Is that possible on December evenings? Thanks for your thoughts!

Lots of people giving you ship advice, I wanted to give you "you" advice.

1. Breathe

2. It's a vacation, which is better then any day not on vacation

3. Go in with an open mind, throw all of the negative stuff out when you leave your house for the trip.

4. Explore when you get on. There are so many cool things you will find on board that don't involve partys or huge crowds.

That being said, BOOK EARLY. At 90 days out you can start booking things online, if you are into shows, try to book them right away, they are usually sold out before the end of the first day on the boat.

Also, when are you booked in March? Not sure if you noticed, but in my Signature it shows...I am also on the Getaway in March.

Edited by oteixeira

I know you asked the question "is NCL a party ship," the answer in my opinion is no. It is one of the reasons I like it. I have been on Royal Caribbean and thought that was a party ship and one of the reasons I have never sailed with them again. I really think you will have a great time on NCL! We have never had a problem with finding spots for quite and relaxing on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Breakaway, and I agree it is not a "party" ship--but it does have a lot of booze, music, dancing and fun!! But I didn't see a lot of overly inebriated types as when I sailed Carnival.

I think the most important advice is that you need to go into the cruise with a positive attitude. Don't think about all the things that you didn't get, or all the negatives that you read about it, or whether you would have enjoyed a different cruiseline better. If you do, I 100% guarantee that you will have a miserable time.

Just embark upon your cruise expecting to have a good time, and you will. Think about what Mrs. Peacock said: "I have absolutely no idea what we're doing here. Or what I'm doing here, or what this place is about, but I am determined to enjoy myself. And I'm very intrigued, and, oh my, this soup's delicious, isn't it?" Adopt that attitude as your mantra. Even if the soup turns out to be monkey's brains soup!

Clue reference!! In case some don't know it. Cult classic!

We booked a cruise in Norwegian Star departing Hong Kong in January. There were no perks available when we booked (a year and a half in advance.) Many months later, perks were available, but outside rooms were all booked, and we would have had to cancel our reservations and rebooked- at a much higher cost, to take advantage. Our bad luck-- but it happens, and a lot of others who will sail with us are in the "same boat." And it's a 21- day cruise-- at $79/day plus gratuity-- je pense que non.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Also- as a Veteran, I understand the "crunch decisions" that sometimes need to be made because of sudden deployments. It is great that you will be able to have this time together. I sailed in Epic, and while the huge ships are not my favorite, we had a wonderful time. All the ships have stabilizers. We were in a similarly positioned cabin, and rarely felt any motion.

Relax, look forward to your trip, and enjoy your blessed time together.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Ok, Great snorkeling in Roatan, and there will likely be a snorkeling excursion added to Harvest Caye by the time you sail, you have to remember the island only opened 2 weeks ago. Our sailing was full and the only time the ship felt crowded (other than the main pool) was disembarking yesterday morning in Miami. Relax!

Karl, what snorkeling trip did you take in Roatan?