Tracy Arm Excursion?

Cruznjuly

Has anyone done this excursion- Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer?

It's very expensive but seems to get you up close and personal with the glaciers.

CCL website only has 16 reviews... all positive, but only 16.

We will be on the Legend in July.

Thanks!

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/juneau/tracy-arm-fjord-and-glacier-explorer-171053

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We do this excursion every other year. It’s one of the best excursions you can go on. The excursion boat will pick you up alongside your ship, take you up as close as they safely can to the face of the Sawyer glacier, and they’ll bring you back to your ship which will have just docked in Juneau. I read the flyer that you posted and its kind of confusing, it talks about picking up in Tracy Arm and it also talks about leaving from Juneau. Either way you’ll enjoy this excursion

We do this excursion every other year. It’s one of the best excursions you can go on. The excursion boat will pick you up alongside your ship, take you up as close as they safely can to the face of the Sawyer glacier, and they’ll bring you back to your ship which will have just docked in Juneau. I read the flyer that you posted and its kind of confusing, it talks about picking up in Tracy Arm and it also talks about leaving from Juneau. Either way you’ll enjoy this excursion

Yes it was a bit confusing. It's directly from Carnival's site. I emailed them and presume if it's available, I'll get more information. :)

Yes it was a bit confusing. It's directly from Carnival's site. I emailed them and presume if it's available, I'll get more information. :)

Yes, it's done through email. They will reply with your confirmation. Then once you're on board, you'll be charged for it and you'll get your tickets in your state room. We really enjoyed it, it was certainly a nice excursion, neat to get up so close. I'm pretty sure I have a photo of the 3 of us in my trip report.

Yes, it's done through email. They will reply with your confirmation. Then once you're on board, you'll be charged for it and you'll get your tickets in your state room. We really enjoyed it, it was certainly a nice excursion, neat to get up so close. I'm pretty sure I have a photo of the 3 of us in my trip report.

Great, thank you. I emailed them A couple days ago… Just waiting to hear back.

I will get on the computer and find your trip report! Thanks!

OP, I think Eaglecw has it right. For the earlier time the little boat will pick you up directly from the ship, just like a tender. And for the later time you will board the tour boat while your ship is in Juneau. When we did this excursion, the tour boat left the dock in Juneau in the afternoon, and after seeing the glacier, it met up with our ship in Tracy Arm, where we reboarded.

Do not miss this excursion. We did it in 2006, and it is one of our favorite excursions (if not the favorite). Since that time we have cruised too early in the season to be able to do it again. We're really hoping to repeat it in 2018.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

The last time we did the Tracy Arm small boat tour the weather was perfect, sunny, fairly warm. The captain of the boat a young woman who could really handle the boat. I was a little surprised when she put the bow of the boat into a water fall, so the water fall was cascading down on the deck of the bow, talk about cool!! Believe it or not some people missed it as they were a sleep, unbelievable.

Has anyone done this excursion- Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer?

It's very expensive but seems to get you up close and personal with the glaciers.

CCL website only has 16 reviews... all positive, but only 16.

We will be on the Legend in July.

Thanks!

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/juneau/tracy-arm-fjord-and-glacier-explorer-171053

This was my most favorite excursion in the history of ever. It will sell out before the ship leaves the dock.

HAS anyone done this excursion from celebrity solstice. We are going in Aug

If it is the "tender style" excursion, then is it probably more alike that different on all of the cruise lines. (Probably the same company picks up the passengers from the different ships.)

I'm also looking for opinions on the morning versus afternoon times for this excursion on the Legend in mid-July.

I got a reply from Carnival... they said there's only one time available and that's the 11:30. I'm

Sure it's just because we're not going until July, so maybe they haven't opened up the second time yet?

This is not accurate with Carnival. As well as some of the following posts. With Carnival- they usually DO run 2 tours. It does NOT involve Juneau at all. The excursion is ONE way either starting from the entrance of Tracy Arm to Sawyer Island or at Sawyer Island, with getting back on the cruise ship at the Tracy Arm entrance.

not sure what the "safety" reference is about? Far more critical is TIME. A lot of packed ice takes more "time" to navigate. I've been on boats- that were surrounded by ice and got up to within standard face range. Comments make it sound like it's dangerous and boats are sinking every season. :)

There is only ONE vendor who does this contracted tour- it will be the SAME type boats for every cruise line that offers this tour. - Allen Maine- you can see their boats online.

Edited by Budget Queen

HAS anyone done this excursion from celebrity solstice. We are going in Aug

My sister and I went on this excursion from the Celebrity Solstice this past May and it was spectacular!! We didn't get up Tracy Arm because of ice blocking the entrance, so they took us up Endicott Arm instead and we got to see Dawes Glacier. It was so beautiful!! I can't even describe it!! We got to see the glacier calve...a couple "small" calves and then one giant calve! The noise was phenomenal and our tour guide said we had to get out of there kind of quick, because of a tsunami type effect! Very cool! We were glad that we spent the money to go!! The tour boat pulls up along side the Solstice and you walk across and get on the boat and then when you get done with the "tour" they take you to Juneau where you have to reboard the ship the same way you got off, before you can get off the ship to go to Juneau. Hope this helps!!

We went in late August and there were two boats but they ran at the same time.

Our cruise in July did 2 boats, and 2 times. I can't remember if there were 2 options when we booked it in January, but we did do the early one anyway. So they may add a second time. But yes, there were still 2 boats that went at the same time. And then, when they got to the glacier, one stayed close up for a little while, then switched places with the other one. Even though it's big, they still want to make sure the boats are apart from each other and safe.