Please HELP, need sound advice on UPGRADE Advantage because of Room Size!

xray121995

Hello, I received the Upgrade Advantage and am able to bid on a balcony or mini-suite. My sisters and I, there will be 3 of us, have a Family OV with Large Picture Window right now. Usually I would jump at a balcony if there were only 2 of us, but with 3 of us, are we better off staying in the Family OV instead of even bidding on the Balcony? Is the bathroom much larger in the Family OV vs. the balcony? What about the mini suite? I have never seen a Family OV before. I have been in a balcony many times, never been in a Family OV or mini suite on NCL. I have bidded on the Mini-Suite, but don't know what to do about the balcony? Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've not seen a family ov or a mini-suite. Only insides and balconies. Looking at NCL's description I don't see any difference between the family ov bathroom and the balcony. The square footage listed for the room increases between an ov, balcony, and mini suite and I'd be surprised if the ov bathroom is larger than the balcony's. I think that if I was in your shoes, I'd jump at a good price for either room. For me, the separation in space with having a balcony is worthwhile. More people will make the room full more cramped and having a balcony gives you somewhere to go while people are showering/changing/sleeping in, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, you are sailing soon on the Getaway, one of our niece's favorite NCL ship. The mini suite has a bigger bathroom (most/all of them has both the bath tub & shower, good for parents with younger kids [grand-niece & grand-nephew]) - and it has a little more living space around the convertible sofa/day bed with the foam mattress vs. the "regular" balcony on the *Away class ship. Otherwise, not much difference & the perks are the same - minimal, things like cotton bath robes & single-serve coffee maker. Balcony is small, good for 2 people to sit out as 3 isn't really going to fit unless you take away the micro-coffee stool-table (unless you get one of the highly prized extended balcony)

This Spring, we're back on the Breakaway (GA's sister ship) and we walk by those Family OV staterooms down the hallway from us - they're much bigger & roomier. Can't say they are bigger than the mini-suite but most definitely, much more space than a regular balcony - and, for 3 adults ... would be very nice, as long as you don't really plan or need to sit on the miniature balcony a lot, or at all ... as some days are port intensive (unless you plan to stay onboard & cruise for the ship)

If the price is right & the offer is good, take it but if not - I don't think you are missing a whole lot (not in the "corner" with the "we will not cruise without a balcony" or an AFT corner suite, etc. mindset")

If you go to Youtube & search for these categories under the GA or BA, it will come up and you can see for yourself ... better than looking at static pictures posted here. Bedding is the same ... full length day sofa will be converted & setup as a bed for the 3rd. person. The "regular" bathroom as you will see on YT - is pretty roomy with plenty of shelf space.

Thank you, I just did a blind booking and our Family OV is sold out, maybe we'll be lucky and they'll need our Family OV. I decided to only bid on the Mini-Suite, and hope we get a Mini-Suite with a big balcony. If not, we're happy with what we have. Sister time together.

Edited by xray121995

Thank you, I just did a blind booking and our Family OV is sold out, maybe we'll be lucky and they'll need our Family OV. I decided to only bid on the Mini-Suite, and hope we get a Mini-Suite with a big balcony. If not, we're happy with what we have. Sister time together.

Good choice. The bathrooms in mini-suites on Getaway are very comfortable, especially around the "throne". I hope you get a big balcony because the standard ones are pretty small.

I don't think you can go wrong but wanted to post a couple youtube videos I found while researching the family oceanview staterooms. One nice thing about this category is the second closet.

This one from Breakaway shows the couch made into double bed and the bed from ceiling above the couch lowered into sleeping position.

Next one is also from Breakaway. Video shows stateroom in made up condition and gives you a pretty good view of the bathroom.