3 days in Hong Kong - recommendations

nanourw

I tried to say hello and thank you in Cantonese and was friendly corrected to how to say it in Manderin which is the language of the People's Republic of China. ..... While there I bought a religious charm from a middle class Chinese woman in a stall supporting the monestary and I asked her about the language of Hong Kong. She said it was Cantonese. So I think there is an effort in Hong Kong to retain their local Catonese language and another effort to make it Manderin.

Interesting. I wonder who corrected you and told you to say it in Mandarin. If it was a monk or not. Curious as to where the mainland Chinese government has control on a religious facility.

Not everyone speaks English especially in Kowloon but if you need help finding stores or restaurants look for younger people as they are fluent in English.

I wonder if they still teach English in school and that's why the younger people are fluent? I know they used to, but I'm not sure what happened after 1997. That's why I would have thought the older people might know English since they used to be taught it, but maybe they forgot since it's been so long?

I think another very important question is what week in October are you going to Hong Kong? If you are going the first week it is going to be very crowded with mainlanders. You will want to buy more things in advance. If you are going any other time it should be cool nice weather.

Someone else mentioned an octopus card. They key to Hong Kong used to navigate the pubic transportation as well as make purchases in most establishments.

The night market is always fun. I would also suggest the back of the island Stanley and a Aberdeen especially now that the MTR goes there. I love the peak on a clear day. I have done all of the hoho bus routes.

I have gone to visit friends in Shenzhen but as a tourist I am not sure what you are looking for. They do have something world with fake statues from around the world. I also used to fly in and out of Shenzhen as it was cheaper when I lived in China. I like to take the fairy there.

No trip to Hk would be the same for me without a meal at outback and a trip to Macau.

Buddhas, Disney, cable car, Macau, the peak, Aberdeen and Stanley, any of the islands (Lantau is cool), hiking in the new territories, egg tarts all make for a great trip to Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shenzhen is still China, so cheaper than Hong Kong in many ways. Services are cheap. You can get a really long and thorough massage (non-erotic, although I'm sure the more adult kind is around as well). Buy a custom tailored suit with your choice of nice fabric (although that tends to take multiple trips). Stuff like that.

Interesting. I wonder who corrected you and told you to say it in Mandarin. If it was a monk or not. Curious as to where the mainland Chinese government has control on a religious facility.

I guessing a mainlander told them to learn Mandarin. They're even trying to supress Cantonese in Guangzhou (Canton), good luck LOL. They shut down all the mainland Cantonese radio & TV/Cable broadcasts; however some may be lucky enough to pick up some HK stations.

I wonder if they still teach English in school and that's why the younger people are fluent? I know they used to, but I'm not sure what happened after 1997. That's why I would have thought the older people might know English since they used to be taught it, but maybe they forgot since it's been so long?

Some if not most HK schools still teach English, but emphasis is now Mandarin instead of Cantonese. Even in the mainland in the 1st Tier cities, English is taught in elementary school for an hour a week. Every student is allowed to pick a western name.

Edited by Philob

Shenzhen is still China, so cheaper than Hong Kong in many ways. Services are cheap. You can get a really long and thorough massage (non-erotic, although I'm sure the more adult kind is around as well). Buy a custom tailored suit with your choice of nice fabric (although that tends to take multiple trips). Stuff like that.

Shenzhen is pretty expensive in my experience. Not New York City but not cheap you can get similar priced massages in Hk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done many of the things on the list and enjoyed them all. If you have children say 10 and under Hong Kong Disneyland is fun. One of the things we did that doesn't seems to be a common thing to do is we took a boat tour of the container shipping yard. I will freely admit to be a family of nerds but we enjoyed it thoroughly. One trip where we spoiled ourselves completely we stayed at the Island Shangri La which was wonderful

Lots of great information from 4774Papa. Just a word of caution, Avenue of the Stars and Science Museum are closed at the moment. We were there last Tuesday to Thursday. Looked like they will be closed for a little while for some construction work. Check before you go.

YES, agree excellent postings by 4774Papa and others. Appreciate this info sharing. Getting ready to depart Jan. 21 in going through Chicago for our 15 hour and 50 minute flight on Cathay Pacific to make our first visit to Hong Kong. There for four days, then on to Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”.

Keep up the great sharing. Will check back on this thread in the next few weeks. Any special "festivals" or events in Hong Kong for that last week in January?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 191,013 views for this posting.

MTR is very easy to use. We got an Octopus card when we arrived. We had no problem conversing with people even though we didn't speak the language. We went to Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park. We really enjoyed Ocean Park a lot. Hong Kong is a lot of fun. Chi Lin Nunnery and the gardens there are very nice. We did the peak tram to Victoria Peak, took a saipan ride in Aberdeen, and a tour of Lantau island with the Big Buddha. Most things are easy on your own. We took your advice, Terry, and rented cars in Norway. Very easy and great to see alot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would like to take the time and give a special thanks to mking8288 for all the "spot-on", detailed, and extremely accurate information regarding Hong Kong. We are truly grateful to mking8288 for taking the time and sharing. You are the best. Hope to meet you someday. Thank you. :)

We would like to take the time and give a special thanks to ( ... everyone) Hope to meet you someday. Thank you. :)

Merry X'Mas/Holidays & Happy New Year to you and all on CC :cool: - I share these honors with the entire community that contributed so much & helped us along our path, only wished we had discovered CC sooner - social media has come a long way in the last 15 years, as DW and I made time to travel, relax, sit-back and cherish our precious lives as we work diligently toward early retirement.

Anyway, any trip reports and/or reviews to share. Bonsai3s from your recent travel ??

HK's famous Symphony of Lights, nightly 12 minutes show of sound & lights at the Victoria Harbourfront has been redesigned - and, this month (12/28 was the last day) - the Pulse 3D Light Show @ Tsim Sha Tsui's Waterfront (HK Cultural Centre, next to the landmarked old Railway Clock Tower) is another wonder - see this link, scroll them to watch in full screen mode - condensed to about 3 minutes (tips: watch it in 3D VR - Virtual Reality :D )

http://www.hong-kong-traveller.com/hong-kong-christmas.html

Chinese New Year 2018 is mid February next year on the Lunar calender, holiday festivals & nightly events will continue to showcase events around town till then - scroll around the above link to look up things to see & do. Something there for everyone - wishing we are going to be there ourselves.

Here is one idea - for those who enjoy & love classic Broadway & Vegas shows - "CATS" is on tour next month - checking out last minute availability & prices, listed in HKD (about 7:75 to 1 USD conversion) - especially on weekdays, there are great prices if you are into the song, dance, costume & performance of "Memory" ... we last saw in NYC some 20 years ago, half price tickets were about $45 USD then.

http://www.hong-kong-traveller.com/2018-january-hong-kong-festivals-events.html#cats

"Cats" at the Lyric Theatre of HKTPA @WanChai on the HK Island side, 800 meters or 1/2 mile, just about 15 minutes walk from Golden Bauhinia Square on the waterfront, part of HK Convention Centre complex - and, a great location to watch the evening light shows on the waterfront ... weather permitting, of course.

If the links do not work or are blocked for whatever - search for hong-kong-traveller dot com ... well maintained by a mother & son team in English, I enjoyed reading & using the information, highly recommend it, not affiliated nor promoting ... just an useful resources.

Enjoy & go explore HK, it is - trust others & me - very easy to sightsee DIY, no need to hire a guide or join a tour. Comfortable walking shoes are a must, bottled water for hydration & dress in layers during the "cold" weather months, as it is not heated everywhere & it can get bone chilly in places.

• 2 weeks later...

Get an Octopus card. It is also valid on the Peak Tram, the Star Ferry and the airport busses. At the end you get back any money that is left on the card (there is a small fee) at any underground station or at the airport.

Any particular places of interest - attractions - etc. in Shenzhen to see, visit, etc. ??

From KTCT, take the free mall shuttle or mini bus or #5R bus to transfer to the MTR line to Kowloon Tong Station for the KCR Railway to cross the border - assume you have valid PRC visas to enter (unless rules had changed lately, haven't been following it closely) - if you have to apply for them & pay the fees, not really - IMHO - worth the time/money to do so. But, if you are planning to do a land visit or post-cruise stay/tour @ Beijing or Shanghai, etc. - then, make good use of your multiple entry visas.

mkng8288 - does your handle have anything to do with the Intel chip?

We are going to be in Kowloon in March. My husband wants to go to Shenzhen and stock up on electronic components like chips, diodes and i don't know what all. He is a mad scientist. He takes blank boards and makes his own electronics, computers, robotics and such. He has a lab. He constantly orders stuff online and it all seems to be sent fro Shenzhen.

Do you know if this would be a good place for him to visit: Shenzhen SEG Electronic Market - http://sz.segbuy.com/SubPage/MarketArticle.aspx?gid=-2&&id=38 . Ifnot do you know of somewhere.

here is another link - https://www.google.com/search?q=electronics+stores+in+shenzhen+china+near+hong+kong&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=22297269,114051744,11874&tbm=lcl&rldimm=8986388309098532194&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10&rlfi=hd:;si:13069349267661408433;mv:!1m3!1d143237.31139161778!2d114.09581485!3d22.4096505!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i526!2i466!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10&cad=h#rlfi=hd:;si:13069349267661408433;mv:!1m3!1d143237.31139161778!2d114.09581485!3d22.4096505!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i526!2i466!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

... does your handle have anything to do with the Intel chip? ... Do you know if this would be a good place for him to visit: Shenzhen SEG Electronic Market -
LOL, no, unrelated except as end user ... my hardware do run Intel as well as AMD chipsets, also MTK chipsets ... in Windows, Android, iOS and Linux OS.

I do not know if you have or need to have visitor's visa (since your profile is Panama) to enter China, as you would be leave HK-SAR to cross the border into mainland China ... those double & multiple visas are good for up to 10 years but a little pricey, expensive to some. That will negate/offset your hubby's bargain shopping trip to this place mentioned (which, I read about myself but no personal knowledge of - depending on what he's shopping for, probably other outlets & malls, or direct outlets to find them)

Staying in Kowloon, I recommend checking out the lesser know, Apliu Street (Flea) Market for electronics, cameras, used/2nd. hand items and antiques, 45 turntables-cassette tape & 8-track players (LOL - just kidding) - it's largely outdoors, open air market, prices are always negotiable (be sure to have local HK currencies - deal in cash only) - you will find also new/near-new gadgets, factory rejects/blemished items, etc. - check & inspect carefully as it's usually no refund, no exchange - all sales final, no invoices or sales slip, etc. (and, no sales tax -HK does NOT have VAT, I laugh when folks shop at DFS (Duty-Free Shops) in HK.

http://www.apliu-street.hk/opening-hours.html

That's a first stop to check out things, wait till about noon - do your breakfast or early lunch first (your body clock will be upside down anyway from jetlag - 13 hours time zone difference from NY)

Second stop - the famous Golden Computer Centre & Arcade - actually, it's an entire city block with 2 floors of mini-stores, kiosk and outlets, etc. selling everything & anything related to computers, electronics, gadgets, hobbyists, probably UAV (have't been here since 2010 so) and model aircrafts, etc. It's 2 blocks from Apliu Street, both 1 block away from the nearest MTR Station stop @ Sham Shui Po - as you exit the underground subway train, follow the bilingual signs for the exits - 1 for GCC and another (opposite side) for Apliu.

http://www.nextstophongkong.com/golden-computer-arcade/

Depending on what he's looking to scoop up, buy & spend, it's probably got just about everything he'll can fit into (bring one) an empty suitcase or carry-on bag to come home to. Prices might be a little higher than Shenzhen, but you are saving on the train fares across & local transport on the other side of the border, and time.

Do that on the day of/day after arrival - if not successful, then - make the pilgrimage across - it's about an hour into SZ ... MTR to Kowloon Tong, transfer to the KTR train to Lo Wo/NT ... (and, enjoy a fast, scenic view outside the train windows for what's left of the once countryside ... you will see some farmland, plenty of greens ... while on your way)

LOL, no, unrelated except as end user ... my hardware do run Intel as well as AMD chipsets, also MTK chipsets ... in Windows, Android, iOS and Linux OS.

I do not know if you have or need to have visitor's visa (since your profile is Panama) to enter China, as you would be leave HK-SAR to cross the border into mainland China ... those double & multiple visas are good for up to 10 years but a little pricey, expensive to some. That will negate/offset your hubby's bargain shopping trip to this place mentioned (which, I read about myself but no personal knowledge of - depending on what he's shopping for, probably other outlets & malls, or direct outlets to find them)

Staying in Kowloon, I recommend checking out the lesser know, Apliu Street (Flea) Market for electronics, cameras, used/2nd. hand items and antiques, 45 turntables-cassette tape & 8-track players (LOL - just kidding) - it's largely outdoors, open air market, prices are always negotiable (be sure to have local HK currencies - deal in cash only) - you will find also new/near-new gadgets, factory rejects/blemished items, etc. - check & inspect carefully as it's usually no refund, no exchange - all sales final, no invoices or sales slip, etc. (and, no sales tax -HK does NOT have VAT, I laugh when folks shop at DFS (Duty-Free Shops) in HK.

That's a first stop to check out things, wait till about noon - do your breakfast or early lunch first (your body clock will be upside down anyway from jetlag - 13 hours time zone difference from NY)

Second stop - the famous Golden Computer Centre & Arcade - actually, it's an entire city block with 2 floors of mini-stores, kiosk and outlets, etc. selling everything & anything related to computers, electronics, gadgets, hobbyists, probably UAV (have't been here since 2010 so) and model aircrafts, etc. It's 2 blocks from Apliu Street, both 1 block away from the nearest MTR Station stop @ Sham Shui Po - as you exit the underground subway train, follow the bilingual signs for the exits - 1 for GCC and another (opposite side) for Apliu.

Depending on what he's looking to scoop up, buy & spend, it's probably got just about everything he'll can fit into (bring one) an empty suitcase or carry-on bag to come home to. Prices might be a little higher than Shenzhen, but you are saving on the train fares across & local transport on the other side of the border, and time.

Do that on the day of/day after arrival - if not successful, then - make the pilgrimage across - it's about an hour into SZ ... MTR to Kowloon Tong, transfer to the KTR train to Lo Wo/NT ... (and, enjoy a fast, scenic view outside the train windows for what's left of the once countryside ... you will see some farmland, plenty of greens ... while on your way)

Thanks for the great advice. We will try these two area first. We have our ten year multi-entry visa. We are Americans but live in Panama. We are on Celebrity doing several stops in China and Japan and South Korea so went ahead and got hte multi-entry visa.

If you are ever over our way, give me a hollar. Panama is a beautiful country.

Linda

Appreciate these wonderful updates and follow-ups. Just six days till we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Will do a live/blog on the River Cruising part of Cruise Critic for this trip. We start Jan. 22 with four days in Hong Kong. Looking forward to this trip.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,042 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...
I was to Hong Kong in March 2017. Lots of fun, easy to do on your own. I would be happy to answer any questions as you helped us with rental cars on our North Cape Cruise.

Happy to help with any North Cape questions after we get back in later February. We have been enjoying Hong Kong for the past two days. Explored the main island, called Hong Kong Island, yesterday. Lots there, including mountains, harbors, spectacular buildings, etc. Our highlights included going to Victoria's Peak, riding the tram, exploring nearby areas such as Aberdeen's harbor and Stanley for its market, etc. Below are only a six of my many, many highlight samples. More to come later on the full live/blog on the River Cruising CC Board.

Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok. Understand that is also a busy, busy city with lots of people, new buildings, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,693 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We crossed from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island on the famous Star Ferry. Second is a sample of the old and new on Hong Kong Island. Lots of new, tall and dramatic architecture here and across Victoria Harbour in Kowloon.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMZ_9141%201%201_zpsq2sh9br8.jpg

CMZ_9159%202%201_zps3btxu06t.jpg

Here is the view when coming down from Victoria Peak on the steep tram tracks as another car is coming up.:

CMZ_9234%201_zpspjljfypf.jpg

The meat offered in this market is so fresh, it was actually alive in the morning before being slaughter. Then, direct to this market that offers even such unique side parts such as the tail, etc.:

CMZ_9266%202_zpsgyf0vpun.jpg

In nearby Aberdeen, we enjoyed a sampan ride. We saw a mix of floating fishing villages, luxury boats, high-rises, etc. Plus, also a view of the very touristy Jumbo Floating Restaurant.:

CMZ_9301%203_zps0yjsw4ua.jpg

CMZ_9319%204_zpswq3jz7dx.jpg

mking8288,

Thanks again for the advise. Did some looking on google maps at the Apliu Street (Flea) Market area. Saw several electronic stores in the area especially the WECL and the Golden Computer Center. Showed them to hubby and he said it was geek heaven. So we will be heading to the Apliu area and hopefully not needing to go to Shenzhen.

We will also be taking your advise on things to see in Hong Kong too. I was there in 1975 with my Dad. We took the train from Kowloon to the "New Territories" and the border with mainland China. It was a scenic ride. I know the area is much different now.

Cruise Critic posters save the day again. Linda

• 1 month later...

That's a first stop to check out things, wait till about noon - do your breakfast or early lunch first (your body clock will be upside down anyway from jetlag - 13 hours time zone difference from NY) .......

)

mking8288,

Well I have surrendered and we are actually going to spend two days in Shezhen Huaqiangbei Commercial Street area near the SEG electronics store. My husband viewed some youtubes about the area and he is practically dancing a jig about going there and stocking up on components. (He is so excited he is planning a weeks trip to Huaqiangbei with our son next year.) They will be geeking out. We will also visit Apliu street.

On this trip we will be seeing many gardens and doing a day trip to Sozhou and in the Netherlands on the way home I will get to go to the Keukenhauf gardens in the Netherlands. So we each get what we enjoy most.

Do you have any suggestions of where to exchange currency near the Salisbury YMCA?

Linda

Thanks for all you other posting on other threads.

Linda

... going to spend two days in Shezhen Huaqiangbei Commercial Street ... geeking out. We will also visit Apliu street ,,, and doing a day trip to Sozhou and ... Keukenhauf gardens in the Netherlands. So we each get what we enjoy most.

... suggestions of where to exchange currency near the Salisbury YMCA? ...

Linda, getting sleepless yet - must be getting super excited, bags nearly packed, passports & visas ready - wish you all a wonderful trip, cruise & sightseeing, and geeking.

Money Exchange are licensed by HK Gov. and are practically everywhere in tourist area like TST - just saw a post from someone that went thru Kai Tak CT 2 weeks ago that the money exchange is open/available there, along with bank ATM's - which are, really, very convenient & offer excellent/competitive rates (we used ours to take out local HKD at Citibank branch location in HK, alerted our home branch before we left - just our regular 4 digits PIN #, with a nominal conversion/exchange fee ... no passport/ID to bring along.)

Near the Y - about 2 blocks north, go past Hotel Pen. toward Peking Road, you will see quite a few along the road on street level, rates are posted & they are all the same - turn right to the MTR Station @ Nathan Road is the Chungking Mansion building, "inside" that commercial building with many little shops & stores, more money changer at supposingly slightly better rates, FWIW. Or, look for a HSBC or Hang Seng Bank branches nearby, bring your passport along to get money exchanged ... (it's been a while for us) for a nominal transaction fee vs. being "free" many, many moons ago.

Since you are going across the border into SZ town to explore & load up on geeky things, get some RMB as well - if you haven't already done so by the time you get into HK.

Suzhou & Hangzhou is about 2 to 2.5 hour drive from the ports, a little less from the Bund on the river - we spend a day in each place, overnighted lodging were great except for one ... part of a deluxe, escorted land tour. A picture is worth a thousand words, here's about ... oh, 50,000 words then.

74eb15958b4571487f51e9d6537b4b93.jpg

6a61894e7d90d64ae45b3f4aa49f67a8.jpg

4fe2713f540b60c53aaa7d4cad343a5f.jpg

These 3 pic-collage were probably posted here on CC before. Amazing highway systems, many are tolled puting the USA interstate "freeway" to shame, more like on Germany's autobahn ... This time of the year, not being national holidays, the size of the crowds while touring should not be too bad, enjoy. Check the weather ahead, a windbreaker with a hood for those wet days as outer layer would be useful, better than those disposable rain poncho (still have 2 of them, never used but ...)

Wish you all a wonderful cruise & land travel and lots of happy shopping.

Edited by mking8288