Traveling with someone who has Autism

lkleach

Hi everyone! There is a chance we will be going on one of the Cuba trips in March and will be traveling with a 31 year old young woman with Autism and some minor mobility issues. We have sailed many times on other lines, but this will be our first time with Oceania.

My question is, how is the muster drill done on this line? In the past, we've been allowed to have an alternative location so we don't have to stand with a large crowd, but still are able to participate. Also, it is very helpful to have a shower bench/stool for her since her balance can be really iffy at times. I've only had to request this from our room steward before and wondered if this was also available?

This will be our first time cruising with her parents (she lives with me full time) and I want this to be a great experience for them all since they've never gotten to see how much she loves to cruise in person, only by our stories. If you have any other hints or suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you!

Not having a disability myself, I can only comment about what I've seen. There are often people who use wheelchairs, walkers, etc. onboard and they are always very well cared for by the staff. Provisions are made to assist them during muster drills, etc.

I recommend you contact Customer Service at Oceania immediately to discuss your friend's needs. Generally, they will do all they can to make your friend comfortable and happy.

Not having a disability myself, I can only comment about what I've seen. There are often people who use wheelchairs, walkers, etc. onboard and they are always very well cared for by the staff. Provisions are made to assist them during muster drills, etc.

I recommend you contact Customer Service at Oceania immediately to discuss your friend's needs. Generally, they will do all they can to make your friend comfortable and happy.

Thanks, I'm used to dealing with a specific special needs department, and didn't see that Oceania had one...just slipped my mind to contact Customer Service before boarding instead. Once her parents make the final decision as to our travel plans, I'll contact them.

On the larger ships Marina & Riviera muster is held in the Lounge/MDR etc..

no standing but if she has an issue with crowds I would speak to the GM or Concierge when you board

Plus contacting special services dept ahead of time

look under the Before you go tab

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

They have a tub with shower and a separate shower in most cabins so that may work or maybe get a H/C cabin

Edited by LHT28

Some people that miss the regular muster drill - for whatever reason - have to have a make up session (AFAIK). I would imagine this would be a more private setting - perhaps an option for you?

Have you considered getting a handicap accessible cabin where a shower bench could be accommodated more easily than in a regular BR?

Some people that miss the regular muster drill - for whatever reason - have to have a make up session (AFAIK). I would imagine this would be a more private setting - perhaps an option for you?

Have you considered getting a handicap accessible cabin where a shower bench could be accommodated more easily than in a regular BR?

I'm not sure at this late date if a HC cabin would be available and other than the shower, she really doesn't need any other physical accommodations. We've made it work in the past, so if a stool isn't available, I can manage. I'd hate to take the cabin from someone who would need it more. We've never had a problem in the small showers on the other lines. They normally have had a stool that fits nicely. Strangely, the only time we've had a problem was in a Carnival Suite since the bathtub was so narrow and there was no separate shower.

It is good to know that Muster is held in an inside area and not packed outside on the decks. That is all we try to avoid since standing in the heat, elbow to nose with 100 strangers isn't her preference! (Nor mine :D )

Thanks for all of your help!

I am pretty sure if you let the hotel director or Cruise director know ahead of time about the muster drill issue, they can make accommodation. I have seen lots of people with autism on board silversea and regent.

Have a wonderful cruise. Sure it will be great. O will take care of things, I am sure.

I have witnessed different autism sufferers have different symptoms, so part of the answer you must consider yourself.

Dining on O's ships, outside of the Terrace or Waves, is on a more European slower eating style system. In the MDR meals typically take about 1.5- 2 hours . Same goes for the Specialties. Some autistic people can sit and entertain themselves that long, while others are doing blackflips off the tables by then. Some of the regular cruisers don't have the patience for the MDR! So, you will need to decide if those eating venues are appropriate for you, or whether the self paced Terrace is the best option for your dining experiences.

I have witnessed different autism sufferers have different symptoms, so part of the answer you must consider yourself.

Dining on O's ships, outside of the Terrace or Waves, is on a more European slower eating style system. In the MDR meals typically take about 1.5- 2 hours . Same goes for the Specialties. Some autistic people can sit and entertain themselves that long, while others are doing blackflips off the tables by then. Some of the regular cruisers don't have the patience for the MDR! So, you will need to decide if those eating venues are appropriate for you, or whether the self paced Terrace is the best option for your dining experiences.

Thanks for the info! We're lucky in that she loves mealtimes and has no problems with long meals. Her parents have worked really hard since day one exposing her to situations like this and I've never shielded her from these experiences either. We always have done the main dinning rooms and Specialty restaurants with no problems. Normally, by the end of the cruise, she and the waitstaff are best friends :-)