Day and Time question

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the International Date Line. So we care cruising from Hawaii September 22nd and arriving in Sydney on October 10th. Do we actually loose a whole day? Also we are staying in Sydney for a few days then flying to New Zealand for a few days and plan to fly to Hawaii the 17th of October. My question is this, the flight is aprox. 8 or 9 hours long and we travel through that International date line so what day will we actually get to Hawaii? I am nervous about booking flights and hotels because I want to make sure my dates are correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you'll loose 24 hours when you cross heading west. Others may explain better.

Regarding flights returning to Hawaii, just check the airline schedules. They'll give the departing date and time and the arrival date and time. Most likely you'll leave and arrive the same calendar day. And, most likely you'll arrive in Hawaii before you took off in Sydney :). This is because you get your 24 hours back.

Agree with above.

On your cruise, one day in your itinerary will be missing, likely at sea. e.g. it might be Sept 26 - at sea, then Sep 28 - at sea. Your itinerary will show actual dates.

For hotel check in date, it will likely be the same date as you leave New Zealand - or possibly even the date before, depending on departure times.

Yup - just had people on our cruise who were leaving Sydney at and arriving in Victoria BC 1300 before they left Sydney on the same day

Strongly suggest you do more research with someone like a travel agent or similar if you are unsure of how it all goes.

Nothing worse than turning up the day before/after when you expected leaving you to sleep on the floor of the airport

When crossing the other way Sydney to Seattle this year on RC we had Ground Hog Day. That is we had two Mondays with the flash mob performing a Micheal Jackson Triller dance on both days.

So I would say with going from the States to Sydney you would loose a day.

The method really hasn't changed in over 200 years of sailing !!

When booking your flights - the airlines website will clearly show the exact date and arrival time - its all worked out for you so you don't actually have to think about it pr calculate anything.

When flying from Aus to North or Sth America on a morning flight you arrive at your destination "about an hour later".

So when I leave Sydney on the 15th at 9am - I arrive in Chile on the 15th at 10am.

Flying home to Aus I leave on 15th and arrive 17th.

Check dates on your itinerary. They will be correct. From Australia flying it is a short flight, but a really long one coming home LOL. If you are sailing the dates are adjusted as you cross the International date line. Generally plus or minus a sea day, depending which way you are travelling. By the way, you are losing a day not letting it loose.