Re: Breeze Two Words That Will Ruin Your Cruise

Cruiseathoning

Show me a negative comment I made about the sunshine other then pointing out it is the lowest rated ship in the Carnival fleet. You may not put much faith in reviews but I do. I read reviews on much of what I buy and find them very helpful . I believe the theater and the comedy club needs some lipstick, maybe more reviewers would have less negativity about those venues. Again, what negative comment have I made. Only pointing out the fact it has an approval rating of only 58%, lowest in the Carnival fleet, here on cruise critic. I assume that you think that is my negative comment.. Oh well, then I plead guilty of pointing out the 58% which is negative in my view...

Fair enough....

No, I have not sailed on the Sunshine and I will not. I have very carefully read the reviews both good and bad and the repeated same negative findings of other cruises out weigh the good for me. The Sunshine remains the lowest rated ship and there is a reason for it. I can't remember reading any review posted here on Cruise Critic that the poster did not sail on her, if I did I would completely ignore it. Why would I have to sail on her to comment about the lowest rating she has in the fleet. I don't want to spend the $$$ only to find out I should have followed my decision not to sail her...

Because you have based your decision on an opinion(s) that may not be seen the same way as you do. You miss a lot in life if you make your decisions based on other people's thoughts.

Because you have based your decision on an opinion(s) that may not be seen the same way as you do. You miss a lot in life if you make your decisions based on other people's thoughts.

I make some decisions on reviews on other people's experiences not thoughts...

I make some decisions on reviews on other people's experiences not thoughts...

A review is based on someone else's perception of what happened. It's rarely factual and it nothing but that person's opinion of what went on around them. Again, without knowing how what they hold dear in life compares to what you hold dear in life, that opinion you are making decisions on could be completely useless.

If you want to use incomplete data to make your decisions, that's your prerogative. Not what I would do but if you choose to do that, feel free to do so. But as I stated, in my opinion, you miss out on a lot when you let other people perspective make your decisions for you.

I heard...that the sound we heard on every cruise is gone, replaced with hand held scanners.:( I loved that bong/ding each time boarding. Anyone know if those scanners make noise? Oh well, guess we will still have the ship horn to be heard.;)

I'm really hoping someone has recorded that "boing!" sound and makes it available Out There. (A cursory search on Google didn't turn up anything immediately.) That sound has become synonymous with cruising for me, and no doubt others as well. Where else do you hear it?

If they use some other non-boinging handheld scanner instead, I'd be inclined to whip out the ol' cellphone and play the sound Just Because. :D

What do you think a review is? "Thoughts" put in written form.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

example of the word thought

" I thought the toilet in my cabin would not flush"

Or

"The toilet in my cabin would not flush"

Which is more descriptive of an actual experience?

example of the word thought

" I thought the toilet in my cabin would not flush"

Or

"The toilet in my cabin would not flush"

Which is more descriptive of an actual experience?

You make no sense with this example since in context to THIS conversation, nobody writes an entire review talking about they think they experienced what they experienced.

You do what you want, but I would never base the decision about where I spent MY money solely on the reviews of others.

By the way, both of your sentences are thoughts - one speculative, the other definitive. Anytime I "think" something, I thought it. Lol.

Happy Saturday!

A review is based on someone else's perception of what happened. It's rarely factual and it nothing but that person's opinion of what went on around them. Again, without knowing how what they hold dear in life compares to what you hold dear in life, that opinion you are making decisions on could be completely useless.

If you want to use incomplete data to make your decisions, that's your prerogative. Not what I would do but if you choose to do that, feel free to do so. But as I stated, in my opinion, you miss out on a lot when you let other people perspective make your decisions for you.

What a load. So many of your posts consist of flawed logic disguised and presented as insight. If a person posting says the new cabins over the new theater set up are noisy, that's a fact based on their experience. When mathematics indicates that Sunshine has the least square footage per passenger in the fleet, I guess that's just a perspective also.

Sure, people can and do have fun on Sunshine. But that doesn't mean they are wrong to think that a different ship would meet their expectations more.

I guess it's just a perception that it has such a low rating.

And this happens on all cruise lines. The two lowest rated ships in the Princess fleet are its two newest. People read the reviews that discuss the changes from previous design (no exterior promenade, smaller balconies, less pool space yet more passengers) and say, no thanks, I'll sail one of the other Princess ships that meets my needs better. Other people did not make the decision for them; other people's experiences and opinions help them make an informed decision.

"Reviews based on their perception of what happened." ??? Is this cruising existentialism? Was the review by Jean-Paul Sartre or Salvador Dali? People discuss their experiences and things that occurred.

If I'm deciding between purchasing a Chrysler 200 and a Chevy Malibu, I'd be a fool not to utilize owner's reviews that reveal their experiences and perceptions.

This poster did not let others make the decision for him. As is often the case, you frame your wording to fit your point. He used the experiences and opinions of others to guide his decision. One can choose a different Carnival ship that people seem to enjoy more. It would be foolish not to approach all purchases that way.

You make no sense with this example since in context to THIS conversation, nobody writes an entire review talking about they think they experienced what they experienced.

You do what you want, but I would never base the decision about where I spent MY money solely on the reviews of others.

By the way, both of your sentences are thoughts - one speculative, the other definitive. Anytime I "think" something, I thought it. Lol.

Happy Saturday!

My decisions about the Sunshine are not based "solely on reviews" I also took into consideration the changes Carnival made to the ship which was stated on Carnivals web site.

I think, or I thought, you have think and thought usage problems..

Edited by gklow

What a load. So many of your posts consist of flawed logic disguised and presented as insight. If a person posting says the new cabins over the new theater set up are noisy, that's a fact based on their experience. When mathematics indicates that Sunshine has the least square footage per passenger in the fleet, I guess that's just a perspective also.

Sure, people can and do have fun on Sunshine. But that doesn't mean they are wrong to think that a different ship would meet their expectations more.

I guess it's just a perception that it has such a low rating.

And this happens on all cruise lines. The two lowest rated ships in the Princess fleet are its two newest. People read the reviews that discuss the changes from previous design (no exterior promenade, smaller balconies, less pool space yet more passengers) and say, no thanks, I'll sail one of the other Princess ships that meets my needs better. Other people did not make the decision for them; other people's experiences and opinions help them make an informed decision.

"Reviews based on their perception of what happened." ??? Is this cruising existentialism? Was the review by Jean-Paul Sartre or Salvador Dali? People discuss their experiences and things that occurred.

If I'm deciding between purchasing a Chrysler 200 and a Chevy Malibu, I'd be a fool not to utilize owner's reviews that reveal their experiences and perceptions.

This poster did not let others make the decision for him. As is often the case, you frame your wording to fit your point. He used the experiences and opinions of others to guide his decision. One can choose a different Carnival ship that people seem to enjoy more. It would be foolish not to approach all purchases that way.

Except, that the actual reviews don't support that. A the reviews of the complainers in the main page are always for the most part negative. The ones here (whether it Sunshine or Vista or Harmony of the Seas) are a much better reflection (and for the most part much more positive). My earlier comment was that the bashing of the Sunshine is mainly from people who have not sailed her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Ive heard" if you want to have a good time you need a good attitude. Whats funny to me is the people that have these miserable experiences what are their everyday lives like ? Even tho ive only been on 7 carnival cruises ive never had a complete bust cruise, even after getting caught in the path of a hurricane. We took it as an extra free of charge experience.

All these complaints people have can happen anywhere at anytime. They are by no means cruise vacation specific.

Hair in food - lol , my yougest had a chunk of metal in her pasta at a italian chain resturant.

Bad customer service, lol - ever shop at wslmart ?

Uncomfortable beds - obviously these people are always staying at 5 star and are slumming it on carnival.

Yes im biased towards cruising but im also very biased to having a great vacation. Yes ive had a few less than desirable ones but im not gunna ever stop vacationing every chance i get.

"Ive heard" if you want to have a good time you need a good attitude. Whats funny to me is the people that have these miserable experiences what are their everyday lives like ? Even tho ive only been on 7 carnival cruises ive never had a complete bust cruise, even after getting caught in the path of a hurricane. We took it as an extra free of charge experience.

All these complaints people have can happen anywhere at anytime. They are by no means cruise vacation specific.

Hair in food - lol , my yougest had a chunk of metal in her pasta at a italian chain resturant.

Uncomfortable beds - obviously these people are always staying at 5 star and are slumming it on carnival.

Yes im biased towards cruising but im also very biased to having a great vacation. Yes ive had a few less than desirable ones but im not gunna ever stop vacationing every chance i get.

Have the same thoughts and I am in my mid 30's in cruise count.

Edited by jimbo5544

My decisions about the Sunshine are not based "solely on reviews" I also took into consideration the changes Carnival made to the ship which was stated on Carnivals web site.

I think, or I thought, you have think and thought usage problems..

I "think" you have to many think and thoughts in one post, at least I think I thought that....

I also often think "what are these people everyday life like" when reading on this board because some people's expectations are so low. I don't expect everything to be perfect but a clean functioning cabin (or room) and decent food are a minimum. I do expect to be at least as comfortable as I am at home. Just being able to see the ocean doesn't do it for me as I see it everyday. I use reviews (ships, hotels, excursions, restaurants) to help enhance my vacations. If the same issue is reported multiple times and this issue is important to me, it would be unwise for me to ignore the reviews and be disappointed.

I also often think "what are these people everyday life like" when reading on this board because some people's expectations are so low. I don't expect everything to be perfect but a clean functioning cabin (or room) and decent food are a minimum. I do expect to be at least as comfortable as I am at home. Just being able to see the ocean doesn't do it for me as I see it everyday. I use reviews (ships, hotels, excursions, restaurants) to help enhance my vacations. If the same issue is reported multiple times and this issue is important to me, it would be unwise for me to ignore the reviews and be disappointed.

I am confused, are you saying that it is not as comfortable as home?

I am confused, are you saying that it is not as comfortable as home?

Sorry that was a confusing statement - but basically what I mean is I don't want to go on vacation and be less than comfortable just for the opportunity to get away from home. Does that make sense?

This might just be my positive attitude and general outlook but if, yes IF i was to go solely by reviews i would experience nothing. People will write bad reviews about everything.

And the way i set my expectations is as follows. If i set them high and experience a hiccup then im let down, if i set them low i will generally look to find what others hate also. So depending on past experience and research (not reviews) i set them generally middle of the road. If it goes bad im not let down to much and if i have a great time, ive got my moneys worth and then some.

Im pretty easy and roll with it 99% of the time, so unless i start out needing a snickers bar im good to go.

As far as carnival goes, i know its a 3 star cruiseline, im paying for a 3 star cruise and expect 3 star experience. If i get a 4 (which ive always gotten) i come out ahead. I know the buffet food is bad sometimes, so is every other buffet ive ever been too. The rooms can be worn down, i know tens of thousands have slept in that room before me just as in any hotel. The entertainment might be cheesy but most tv shows are too.

So unless i dont pay for a 3 star cruise and expect a 5 star - people better kiss my butt kind of cruise im well on my way to yet another great vacation.

Over to you jimbo for the slam dunk

I'm just so addicted to Carnival!!! :D (I haven't sailed any other line, so can never compare one line to another - I've had no reason yet to ever attempt another cruise line). I feel so fortunate to have opportunities to cruise. Going on a cruise was my life dream trip. Finally, it came true for our 25th wedding anniversary. ;) My husband and I went on our first cruise. I had to convince him to go. He didn't care to Cruise. :o Now he too is addicted. Sadly, being from Nova Scotia Canada, the airfare often costs us more than the Cruise (not to mention the bad exchange rate the last 2 -3 years!). We managed to cruise once a year since then, (except 2016). We have the chance to go on only a 4 day Bahama Cruise for 2017. It will be too short, I'm sure. But that will be our only complaint. We were recently changed from our original Valor to the Liberty. Same class of ship. NO concern to us at all. Same cabin, same itinerary. It's all good! There have been a lot of disgruntled posts concerning the ship swap. I just can't wrap my head around all the nonsense posts! We're still going on a cruise and it's still going to be a blast! Never have I seen workers, such a diverse group of people, 100's of nationalities, all working together with such teamwork, always smiling, always polite, always helpful; putting in long long days and nights! It's very unique! I see a lot of posters saying how Carnival 'doesn't care' for cruise critic. Sometimes I'll read a post and totally understand Carnival's position! I really wish Cruise Critic came with 2 message boards. Positive reviews only. Negative Reviews only... so that I could so much more easily skip the Negative review boards. Not interested! :)

This might just be my positive attitude and general outlook but if, yes IF i was to go solely by reviews i would experience nothing. People will write bad reviews about everything.

And the way i set my expectations is as follows. If i set them high and experience a hiccup then im let down, if i set them low i will generally look to find what others hate also. So depending on past experience and research (not reviews) i set them generally middle of the road. If it goes bad im not let down to much and if i have a great time, ive got my moneys worth and then some.

Im pretty easy and roll with it 99% of the time, so unless i start out needing a snickers bar im good to go.

As far as carnival goes, i know its a 3 star cruiseline, im paying for a 3 star cruise and expect 3 star experience. If i get a 4 (which ive always gotten) i come out ahead. I know the buffet food is bad sometimes, so is every other buffet ive ever been too. The rooms can be worn down, i know tens of thousands have slept in that room before me just as in any hotel. The entertainment might be cheesy but most tv shows are too.

So unless i dont pay for a 3 star cruise and expect a 5 star - people better kiss my butt kind of cruise im well on my way to yet another great vacation.

Over to you jimbo for the slam dunk

I'm curious where does your research come from if not reviews?