US cruises price check

antsp

For past 13 years or so I have always booked my cruises in the US and saved big compared to the UK prices, then came along brexit the £ fell of a cliff and it all went bad.

I have access to Princess fares in the USA and U.K., by having addresses registered in both countries. If anyone is pricing cruises on particular sailings at the moment and would like to see a comparison let me know. The sailing I'm looking at in October is considerably cheaper in the UK

This always used to be a 'bug bear' of mine. As i live in the UK and only have a UK address i could never book through a US travel agent.

It also annoys me somewhat that i never get the chance to partake in some of the 'offers' that only seem to be available to US residents. So much so that i tried to correspond with Princess in the USA.....but heard nothing in reply.

Which cruise are you looking at in October.....as you can see, we are already booked.

>>For past 13 years or so I have always booked my cruises in the US and saved big compared to the UK prices, then came along brexit the £ fell of a cliff and it all went bad.

I have access to Princess fares in the USA and U.K., by having addresses registered in both countries. If anyone is pricing cruises on particular sailings at the moment and would like to see a comparison let me know. The sailing I'm looking at in October is considerably cheaper in the UK>>

Antsp:Are you able to use the same Captain circle # for the UK and US booking?

I tried to book a cruise from the UK site but the UK Princess rep told me I can not because of insurance/repatriation reason unless I have a permanent UK address.

For the UK princess booking, the terms and conditions state that it requires a minimum of 2 million GBP for insurance. Do you all carry that kind of coverage because it is not required in a US Princess booking?

Edited by ebeluga
Add quote

This always used to be a 'bug bear' of mine. As i live in the UK and only have a UK address i could never book through a US travel agent.

It also annoys me somewhat that i never get the chance to partake in some of the 'offers' that only seem to be available to US residents. So much so that i tried to correspond with Princess in the USA.....but heard nothing in reply.

Which cruise are you looking at in October.....as you can see, we are already booked.

Saltypeer: Would you consider exchanging a UK address with US address? If interested, my email is ebeluga at gmail dot com

There is nothing wrong to use a friend's address as contact, is there?

>>For past 13 years or so I have always booked my cruises in the US and saved big compared to the UK prices, then came along brexit the £ fell of a cliff and it all went bad.

I have access to Princess fares in the USA and U.K., by having addresses registered in both countries. If anyone is pricing cruises on particular sailings at the moment and would like to see a comparison let me know. The sailing I'm looking at in October is considerably cheaper in the UK>>

Antsp:Are you able to use the same Captain circle # for the UK and US booking?

I tried to book a cruise from the UK site but the UK Princess rep told me I can not because of insurance/repatriation reason unless I have a permanent UK address.

For the UK princess booking, the terms and conditions state that it requires a minimum of 2 million GBP for insurance. Do you all carry that kind of coverage because it is not required in a US Princess booking?

Yes i use the same captain circle number, i have 2 cruises booked at the moment, the Ruby in Jan and the Crown in April, Ruby booked in US as slightly cheaper at the time, The crown in the UK as a lot lot cheaper in the UK

As for insurance in the UK you just need to fill in the company name in the persoliser, no rules at all on who you insure with

Yes i use the same captain circle number, i have 2 cruises booked at the moment, the Ruby in Jan and the Crown in April, Ruby booked in US as slightly cheaper at the time, The crown in the UK as a lot lot cheaper in the UK

As for insurance in the UK you just need to fill in the company name in the persoliser, no rules at all on who you insure with

Thanks for responding to my question. Another fine detail: Are you also able to use Future Cruise Deposit interchangeably? i.e. a US currency FCD on a UK booking or vise versa?

Never used Fco, honestly don't think there worth the bother

Are you referring to the FCD (Future Cruise Deposit) forms? The form is incredibly simple - fill in your name and cabin number, check the box for the type of currency you are using, check how many FCD you want to purchase, sign the form, and drop it in the box - and the benefits are excellent. In addition to being able to book any cruise with the $100 deposit you get OBC. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. When my wife and I each receive an "extra" $150 onboard credit simply for booking using the FCD I don't understand how that can be not "worth the bother".

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

Edited by Thrak

Back to the big question...

I live in the US. What is the procedure for booking as if I were in the UK in order to take advantage of the lower fares ?

Do you have a cruise you'd like me to check for starters. I rang Princess and gave them an address to dual register my captain circle, I guess if your in the US you would ring the UK and do the same

Royal transatlantic, £868 If booked In UK, $1635 if booked in USA, the US price converted back to £ is £1308, so a massive saving for UK passengers,

So if you are in the USA why not book in the UK

It sounds like Princess may have failed to revalue due to the falling GBP exchange rate. Another suggestion is that Princess is trying to encourage more UK people to book the cruise knowing when they reach the USA their money will be worth a lot less hence making them hesitant to book.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have a cruise you'd like me to check for starters. I rang Princess and gave them an address to dual register my captain circle, I guess if your in the US you would ring the UK and do the same

Hmm, when attempting to register dual address, here is Princess Captain Circle's response, "thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, we can only have one address in our database for each person. However if your spouse or traveling partner takes the other address you can receive Princess Cruises mail at both locations all the time."

Obviously I don't care for their marketing mailing. I just wanted my cruise credit counted and enjoyed the associated status benefit regardless where I booked.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, when attempting to register dual address, here is Princess Captain Circle's response, "thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, we can only have one address in our database for each person. However if your spouse or traveling partner takes the other address you can receive Princess Cruises mail at both locations all the time."

Obviously I don't care for their marketing mailing. I just wanted my cruise credit counted and enjoyed the associated status benefit regardless where I booked.

Any thoughts?

if you call princess uk you can add the address with them

We have a similar issue. We live in Canada. Our dollar has been very low. As a result we have switched from cruises and US based winter vacations to traveling elsewhere.

We always price our travel in various countries prior to booking. We have a Feb Crown cruise booked. The first one that we have booked in Canada for many years. They gave us a break on currency and it was much cheaper for us to book at home. In the past we have booked in the US, the UK, and directly in Australia on RCI.

The reason is simple...sometimes a large price delta. In the case of our Australian late booking, it was 30 percent less adjusted for currency, to book by calling RCI in Australia than it was to book in the US or Canada.

It pays to shop. You do need to understand the differences between booking rules if you book outside the final payment window. The T's and C's regarding cancellations and re-prices are often very different.

Edited by iancal