Bad news on Christmas Markets in Germany

4774Papa

Yes, this is scary however when you factor in all of the Christmas markets throughout Europe I wouldn't feel too nervous.

We just returned from Sankt Wolfgang, Munich, Salzburg and Vikings Castles & Legends river cruise on the 16th and did not feel afraid. Not saying that nothing will happen but the chances are quite slim. On the other hand, if you're uncomfortable traveling I'd check into rescheduling or canceling, you can't enjoy your hard earned vacation over-shadowed by fear.

Just my opinion.

We are on the Rhein now.

Basel, Baden-Baden, Riguewihr, and Kaysersburg, Speyer and Heidelberg, no overt security beyond police.

Strasbourg, which had a credible threat, has an armed security perimeter, some tram stops closed, "random" bag searches, road closures (with cobblestones removed to create vehicle traps) and well armed, very visible patrols.

We just returned Friday from Castles and Legends (Munich-Salzburg then Passau to Budapest) trip and were en-route to Vienna the evening of the Berlin market attack. We were at dinner in the dining room and my phone started going nuts with texts from family at home wondering if we were ok. (Which, no one apparently knows European geography...) We were all heartsick over what happened. I don't think it stopped anyone on our trip (that we spoke to at least) from going to the markets or being in public.

We did see increased security at the market in Budapest...but nothing extraordinary in Bratislava or Vienna.

In Budapest we passed a large armored vehicle with a cordoned-off area. There was a small backpack laying on the ground and it was taped off with police ribbon and several police/security walking around discussing the situation. They must not have considered it to be terribly dangerous because people were still permitted to walk past on the sidewalk.

A lot of the markets are set up in the old town areas which are already mostly pedestrian with limited vehicular access. But honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could stop a truck running at full speed into a crowded market--the bollards in place don't look beefy enough to stop something like that.