Disembarking in Shanghai for the day

HELENPSL

We will arrive on the Volendam on March 3. We have booked a private 1 day tour to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6AM but the tour company has some concern about how quickly we can get off the ship. Does anyone know if there is paperwork that has to be cleared between HAL and the government before they allow passengers to disembark? We will all have our China visas so that won't be a problem. Are you aware of anything that would delay us from getting off the ship?

Thanks for your help.

Helen

We will arrive on the Volendam on March 3. We have booked a private 1 day tour to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6AM but the tour company has some concern about how quickly we can get off the ship. Does anyone know if there is paperwork that has to be cleared between HAL and the government before they allow passengers to disembark? We will all have our China visas so that won't be a problem. Are you aware of anything that would delay us from getting off the ship?

Thanks for your help.

Helen

Helen,

How many days is your tour? I presume you are flying to Xian. I can't imagine it is a one day tour!

The traffic in Shanghai is terrible, I don't remember where the airport is located, but I thing it may be on the opposite side of the river from the port.

The flight to Xian must be two hours and then you have to be transported to the site.

I suggest that you do a land tour of China that includes a four day river cruise. You will see more and not be rushed.

PVG (Pudong) int'l airport is south of Shanghai City, population 30 million & traffic to match and the famous HST. Second airport, Hongqiao is east of city, also has train & HST connections ... plot these names in Google Map or Bing Map and you will see their relative distance & location to each other.

Cruising, smaller ships like those from RCI years ago can dock slightly up the River, almost at the "Bund" or historic old city with its beautiful Euro characters, mix in with modern high-rises. Mega ships are often docked north & further out toward the open South China Sea and it's easily 45+ minutes in taxi & Uber (yes, they do ... and, local competition/equivalent) in "routine" traffic to the Bund and 90+ minutes to PVG for flights, 60 to 75+ minutes to Hongqiao, verify flight info & airport(s) used.

As far as PRC immigration & border formalities, it's best to check with those on prior roll calls with the ship ... just don't expect to be among the first on the dock at 6:45 or 7 AM if ship arrived at the pier at 5:45 or 6:00 - they set the pace and it's absolutely beyond the cruiseline's control. Friendly & professional, yes, but, also known to take and proceed at their own clock & timetable - frustrating but it is what it is.

I am 200% in agreement of the post above - unless your private tour is a locally mini exhibit of the Terra Cotta, it is otherwise best to be done on a land tour and/or overnight stay. This time of the year, virtually all of the coastal & urbanized industrial cities are hit with severe smog & pollution, disruption air & ground traffic, delays and cancellations are routine. Anyone with respiratory issues should consult with their own family doctors & carry inhalers, etc.

IMO, a well-established, reputable tour operator should know all these - and, it is best to use a licensed tour agency, officially credentialed by PRC authorities. Private ones can easily close down, disappear & disconnect their online presence by flipping a few switches ... leaving you & others stranded and travel "investment" worthless.

These are part of a traveling exhibit we saw recently in Canada, amazing details ... even if these aren't genuine ;)

0179eb0b5c2fd0bdb1b428d960f99298.jpg

1eba6e970e530a6d2065ed3c4c2c6b1b.jpg

fdf0c6082fd534e5c69be181134bf3d6.jpg

Edited by mking8288
Nice

I was looking at the photos above and thinking, wow, these look fake. Then I read that the poster already knows that. Do not expect to get anywhere as close as this when going to see the real thing. The soldiers are in a pit and you are 100 feet+ away with three rows of people in front of you.

I am not sure that the OP realizes how far the Warriors are from Shanghai. This is definitely not a day-tour. With some luck, the OP can make the 9h30 flight (will be tough) and this one arrives in Xi'An at 12h15. Otherwise the next one departs at 12h20 and arrives at 15h15. Too late to see anything on that day. Flights to Xi'An depart from both airports as both have international and domestic flights. It just depends on the airline used

Just some corrections. Uber does not work in China. They have something similar but you can't use it as a tourist, even if you read Chinese and speak Mandarin. Nothing wrong with taxis though. Pudong airport is not connected to China's rail network. They have a subway and a Maglev (a commuter train). And the population is nowhere near 30 million.

"...Private ones can easily close down, disappear & disconnect their online presence by flipping a few switches ... leaving you & others stranded and travel "investment" worthless..." - I have never heard of this in China in the many years that I have traveled there and lived there. Most, if not all, are reliable. The only problem is those shopping stops.