Princess Transfer or Uber

GoProCruiser

Hey everyone! Quick question. I'm going on the Regal Princess January 8th. This is the first time leaving from Port Everglades. I've been doing some research and curious as to whether I should book a Princess transfer from FLL to the cruise port or take an Uber from FLL to Port Everglades? I think there are 4 or 5 ships in port that day. If I do end up taking a Princess transfer from the airport, are we given certain times on when to board their coaches? I'm staying at a hotel the day before the cruise and my friend lands around 11am the day of the cruise. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The last thing is book a Princess transfer.

We love Uber and use them in many places. But if just going from FLL to the port it is easier to just walk outside to the taxi queue and grab the next taxi. There are always plenty of taxi and generally no wait. If you call Uber you might have to wait a few minutes and will probably save about $3-$4.

Not sure why the one poster has an issue with Uber. In the USA they are so much better then most taxis and often somewhat less expensive. We recently used Uber to get from the Embassy Suites on 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami. Uber charged us $32 (a taxi would have been more) and we had a delightful driver. Uber and Lyft cars are always very clean...and drivers are friendly.

Hank

I also am a Über fan, though I don't use it, on the grand scheme of things, that often. It can be very convenient for bypassing long lines or indefinite waits, I've used it at the ports in New York and Copenhagen with hardly any taxis around.

Hey everyone! Quick question. I'm going on the Regal Princess January 8th. This is the first time leaving from Port Everglades. I've been doing some research and curious as to whether I should book a Princess transfer from FLL to the cruise port or take an Uber from FLL to Port Everglades? I think there are 4 or 5 ships in port that day. If I do end up taking a Princess transfer from the airport, are we given certain times on when to board their coaches? I'm staying at a hotel the day before the cruise and my friend lands around 11am the day ofcruise. Thanks in advance!

Just curious, doesn't your hotel (BTW, which one?) have free complimentary shuttle pick up from and to FLL? We stayed at a budget hotel pre and post cruise. The hotel shuttle picked us up within 10 minutes after we called from the airport informing the hotel that we arrived at FLL. Post cruise, we made a reservation night before for an 5:00 pm complimentary shuttle to take us to the airport for a 7 am. flight home. Great service. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just curious, doesn't your hotel (BTW, which one?) have free complimentary shuttle pick up from and to FLL? We stayed at a budget hotel pre and post cruise. The hotel shuttle picked us up within 10 minutes after we called from the airport informing the hotel that we arrived at FLL. Post cruise, we made a reservation night before for an 5:00 pm complimentary shuttle to take us to the airport for a 7 am. flight home. Great service. :)

Did your hotel also offer free shuttle from hotel to cruise terminal?

Did your hotel also offer free shuttle from hotel to cruise terminal?

$5 (plus a small tip to driver) each way. Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to and back from Port Everglades Cruise Port. The hotel shuttle dropped us off directly in front of Princess Embarkation area. Porters were there meet the shuttle and taje our luggage to the ship. Porters expect to be tipped.

Hotel shuttle met us in front of debarkation area upon our return from cruise.

Great service btw. :)

We love Uber and use them in many places. But if just going from FLL to the port it is easier to just walk outside to the taxi queue and grab the next taxi. There are always plenty of taxi and generally no wait. If you call Uber you might have to wait a few minutes and will probably save about $3-$4.

Not sure why the one poster has an issue with Uber. In the USA they are so much better then most taxis and often somewhat less expensive. We recently used Uber to get from the Embassy Suites on 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami. Uber charged us $32 (a taxi would have been more) and we had a delightful driver. Uber and Lyft cars are always very clean...and drivers are friendly.

Hank

I agree, and have had nothing but positive experience with Uber.

Regarding my experience with Uber in Ft. Lauderdale. We always use Uber in Ft. Lauderdsle pre and post cruise, when needed, and never have any issues or concerns with the service or drivers. As mentioned, drivers are usually friendly, and either retired, or part-timers. Usually very nice cars or suv's, well maintained, showing pride of ownership. As a matter of fact, one driver one evening after picking us up after dinner, even offered to wait for me (at no charge) while I picked up a case of sodas (to carry aboard ship next day), at a supermarket before driving us back to our hotel. We found drivers to be extremely safe, speak understandable English, enjoyable conversation, unlike most taxi drivers we've used. :eek: And, there is never a doubt the cost of your ride. After last cruise, we took Uber from our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to So. Beach, Miami. From our hotel very early morning. and back to our hotel very late at night. $32 each way. :). No tipping. According to our hotel concierge it woukd have been at least double plus tip if by taxi. :eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

$5 (plus a small tip to driver) each way. Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to and back from Port Everglades Cruise Port. The hotel shuttle dropped us off directly in front of Princess Embarkation area. Porters were there meet the shuttle and taje our luggage to the ship. Porters expect to be tipped.

Hotel shuttle met us in front of debarkation area upon our return from cruise.

Great service btw. :)

Not bad. Thanks.

... Post cruise, we made a reservation night before for an 5:00 pm complimentary shuttle to take us to the airport for a 7 am. flight home. Great service. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Hope that was just a typo, but a 5pm shuttle for a 7am flight is not a good deal in my book!!!!! :D

Hope that was just a typo, but a 5pm shuttle for a 7am flight is not a good deal in my book!!!!! :D

My bad. Yes, it was a typo. :)

What I meant to say was, the night before our flight, we went down to the hotel desk to schedule a 5:00 am. free courtesy airport hotel shuttle to take us to FLL for our 7 am. flight. We arrived at FLL departure terminal in about 15 minutes. Great service.

Happy New Year! Happy cruising in 2017. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Enjoy your cruise.

Probably the most popular pre/post cruise hotel in Lauderdale is the Embassy Suites on 17th Street (we often use this hotel ourselves). That hotel does not offer any free shuttle service....but they do have a free 2 hour cocktail hour and a very good free breakfast. Personally, we are quite content to pay for a taxi, versus a shuttle, because many hotel shuttles mean waiting for at least 30 min, sometimes being crammed into a van or mini-bus, etc. When we stay at the Embassy Suites we simply walk out of the airport terminal, hop in a taxi, and we are at the hotel in about 10 minutes.

As to free shuttles to the port, we have stayed at some Lauderdale hotels that had free shuttles...and often called Uber or a taxi! The free service involves waiting around the lobby, being crammed into a packed vehicle, often having to go through multiple stops at the port to let off other passengers, etc. We are quite willing to spend $15 to avoid all those hassles.

Hank

Probably the most popular pre/post cruise hotel in Lauderdale is the Embassy Suites on 17th Street (we often use this hotel ourselves). That hotel does not offer any free shuttle service....but they do have a free 2 hour cocktail hour and a very good free breakfast. Personally, we are quite content to pay for a taxi, versus a shuttle, because many hotel shuttles mean waiting for at least 30 min, sometimes being crammed into a van or mini-bus, etc. When we stay at the Embassy Suites we simply walk out of the airport terminal, hop in a taxi, and we are at the hotel in about 10 minutes.

As to free shuttles to the port, we have stayed at some Lauderdale hotels that had free shuttles...and often called Uber or a taxi! The free service involves waiting around the lobby, being crammed into a packed vehicle, often having to go through multiple stops at the port to let off other passengers, etc. We are quite willing to spend $15 to avoid all those hassles.

Hank

Our most recent cruise 12/416, we must have been lucky, since we were the only two on the free hotel courtesy shuttle pick up from FLL to our hotel. And was a very short wait after we notified the hotel of our arrive at FLL until the courtesy shuttle arrived. The courtesy shuttle was exclusive to our hotel only and no other hotels.

For our pre and post cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale, we either used Uber, or the efficient and inexpensive public transportation system. And our hotel was within a few blocks from the Inter-coastal Water Taxi stop.

No Happy Hour at our hotel, but I could care less, since I abstain from drinking alcohol. But the hotel did have daily free hot and cold buffet, the usual juices, fruits from 5 am to 11 am.

The hotel courtesy shuttle from the hotel to FLL was at 5 a.m. and the shuttle driver was waiting in the lobby when we checked out. Again, we were the only two on the shuttle. Probably because it was very early pick up time.

Happy cruising in 2017. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I used Lyft to get from my 17th street hotel to the port. The ride showed up quickly and was a nice minivan with a courteous driver. The only issue we had was he didn't have his Lyft sticker on the windshield. The port almost didn't let him in and told him if he didn't have it don't bother to come back as he wouldn't be allowed in. So make sure the Uber or Lyft identification is on the car.

When we returned from the cruise I called for a Lyft ride but when the pickup was 15 minutes I immediately canceled it and jumped in a Taxi.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hey there! Sorry for the late response! I'm doing a "back to back" on two different ships. Doing the Eurodam the first week and a day later, I'll be getting on the Regal Princess. The hotel I'm staying at between the two cruises (a Sheraton) is like 15-20 minutes from the port that does not offer any type of shuttle to or from the airport or cruise port. After reading all of this, I'm planning on taking an Uber from the cruise port to the hotel, Uber from the hotel to airport next morning, and then an Uber from the airport to the cruise port to board the Regal. My friend who will be cruising with me on the Regal flies in the day of the cruise.

If you are staying at a hotel, take an Uber to the port. Your friend can take an Uber from the airport to the port and meet you there around 11:30 or, depending where your hotel is, can swing by in the Uber and pick you up on the way to the port. I have not been happy with the taxis here and I live right near the port. BTW, there are 4 ships in port that day so the Regal will be docked closest to the convention center which means that you will not need to enter the actual port through security if your transportation enters from Eisenhower Blvd. and SE 17th St.

Sent from my iPad using Forums