HAPPY HOUR NICKEL ANd (DOLLARING)

EDLOS

For those out there who say "what's a dollar, cheapskate" On a $7.50 drink, a dollar is a 13% increase and $2.00 is a 26% increase.

Since July, my $34.00 beverage stateroom package has gone up to $43.00, a 26% increase. Yes, this a very significant profit center for HAL, maybe enough to restore the old library's, ????

But, think about what price your cabin is going for today.. It has not increased in the last TEN years?

As mentioned before everything has increased, but my cabin has remained the same price per night since we started cruising on HAL in 1998..

My DH & my Friend both mentioned that we paid $8. & change for our drinks the other night in a Restaurant..DH paid full price for his second drink..

Our Bill was over $83 including tip in a fairly nice, but not the most expensive, restaurant.. Land vacations in Florida have increased ten fold & we can no longer afford them as we now are on a fixed income..

Cruise Cabins have not increased.. IMO HAL is doing the right thing by increasing discretionary prices rather than cabin prices..

I'm willing to pay 100% (one dollar to two dollars at Happy hour) more for my second drink on HAL if they have to charge it to remain in business!.. If I don't want to pay I'll stop drinking..:)

BTW Our "Cut Rate" liquor store charged me $11.99 for a 750 bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay two days ago but Total Wine has the same bottle for $9.99..:eek:

However, I would have had to cross the bridge & drive about 5 miles to get that $2.00 off, which I chose not to do..:D

Buy a case. $24 dollars will pay for the trip. You probably won't have to go back for a while.

BTW, that wine would probably cost you $40 or $50 on board.

Edited by RocketMan275

For those out there who say "what's a dollar, cheapskate" On a $7.50 drink, a dollar is a 13% increase and $2.00 is a 26% increase.

Since July, my $34.00 beverage stateroom package has gone up to $43.00, a 26% increase. Yes, this a very significant profit center for HAL, maybe enough to restore the old library's, ????

26% is a small increase in HH prices ????????? Stateroom Prices???????

If revenues had not been increased, how much further would quality have decreased.

The cruise line must make a profit. If that means some price increases and some quality decreases then that's life. You could have much higher price increases with constant quality or you could have constant pricing with much lower quality.

The point is, you cannot expect that prices will stay constant. If you want higher quality, prices will have to increase. If you want lower prices, then quality will decrease. Which do you prefer?

You make it seem that with us paying more that we will receive more. That when HAL increases its prices that it also increases its quality. This has not been my experience. As I stated earlier, HAL has increased prices and decreased quality.

But, think about what price your cabin is going for today.. It has not increased in the last TEN years?

As mentioned before everything has increased, but my cabin has remained the same price per night since we started cruising on HAL in 1998...

...Cruise Cabins have not increased.. IMO HAL is doing the right thing by increasing discretionary prices rather than cabin prices..

I don't know what cruise cabins and itineraries you sail, but I can assure you that the cruises that I have previously sailed and am interested in sailing in the near future have all gone up in price. Substantially increased, actually.

In 2014 we sailed a 7-day Alaska cruise on the Volendam in a Vista Suite for $1199 pp, and received free hotel stay and transfers to the ship in that price. Right now 2017 pricing for that same cruise is over $2700 pp. (CDN pricing). That's a little more than the difference in exchange rate.

I have looked back at all our cruises and can tell you that every one have them have increased substantially in price compared to when we sailed.

You make it seem that with us paying more that we will receive more. That when HAL increases its prices that it also increases its quality. This has not been my experience. As I stated earlier, HAL has increased prices and decreased quality.

Increases in prices may be accompanied but increases in quality but I can assure you that decreases in price will be accompanied by decreases in quality.

This phrase sums it up: TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Increases in prices may be accompanied but increases in quality but I can assure you that decreases in price will be accompanied by decreases in quality.

This phrase sums it up: TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Just being the devil's advocate here but ... decreases in price does not necessarily mean decreases in quality, only quantity. :p

HAL offers bargain priced packages for in room booze, I always have a bottle and mixers delivered to my cabin upon arrival. That way I can have my cheap happy hour drink on the verandah whenever I want. I'm especially happy since I found freeze dried limes, now I don't even have to beg lime slices from the bar!

HAL offers bargain priced packages for in room booze, I always have a bottle and mixers delivered to my cabin upon arrival. That way I can have my cheap happy hour drink on the verandah whenever I want. I'm especially happy since I found freeze dried limes, now I don't even have to beg lime slices from the bar!

Freeze dried limes :). So if we brought our own Cranberry Juice perhaps DW could make her own Cosmos:). Interesting.

Hank