HARMONY - 12/3/2016 – Pro’s and Con’s.

I've been fortunate that most of my Chops experience has been good. But I have found that its inconsistent even on the same ship. Someone else posted in this thread about the same sailing and their steak was great.

I was on Anthem last October. One thing I did notice is that the steak choices have gone down. It used to be you had 4 or 5 cuts of meat to choose from. On Anthem, we had 2. There were two more, if you wanted to pay the upcharge for it, which really boggles my mind since we're already paying an upcharge to dine there. There was a choice of Filet or Ribeye without an extra fee. My Filet was excellent. My wife's Ribeye was not very good.

I was on Jewel, and had the absolute WORST experience in any for fee restaurant ever in both Portofinos and Chops. The steak quality on Jewel for some reason was subpar and flavorless. We had a ribeye and a filet, and we couldn't really tell which was which. Portofinos wasn't as bad, but it didn't stand out either. It felt like it was Olive Garden food dressed up.

However, on Independence, Grandeur and Anthem, I had a totally different experience where to food was absolutely marvelous at both places I went to.

It is my one complaint with Royal Caribbean in general. They can be very inconsistent. The pros with that, is that some of the staff go seriously above and beyond, but the con is, that without some semblance of consistency, their failures can be pretty bad too.

Since we are sharing pros and cons of Harmony, I want to know if anyone else felt as I did about the Grease production. We were on Harmony a few weeks ago and looking forward to the music of Grease. Yes, the music was great but I was disappointed with the "R" version of Grease. Not our first experience with a ship line thinking their production has to have smut in it. And I think it is really wrong to have this type of entertainment early evening when it should all be family friendly.

Since we are sharing pros and cons of Harmony, I want to know if anyone else felt as I did about the Grease production. We were on Harmony a few weeks ago and looking forward to the music of Grease. Yes, the music was great but I was disappointed with the "R" version of Grease. Not our first experience with a ship line thinking their production has to have smut in it. And I think it is really wrong to have this type of entertainment early evening when it should all be family friendly.

We felt the same even though we are not particular about these things. We brought our 4-year Old in and halfway through whispered to each other that this wasn't all that suitable for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

GREAT Hot Tubs, by the pools, in the two overhangs and in Solarium (little note, please fix the LED TV’s when they fail, especially if for the whole week, in each overhanging hot tub, or replace, couple hundred bucks to have a stand by).

In my 10 years of cruising, I have given this one some thought. Spare parts at sea are more difficult than on land obviously. While the price of flat panel TV's have come down, they take up a lot of space. Then there is taking the time away from passengers to replace something that size.

I first noticed a broken backboard on the basketball court on Navigator back in 2009. For the entire cruise, no full court games. But I did see in later reviews it was replaced within a few weeks.

I also noted some bad sections on Oasis' big screens in the aquatheater last May, but saw in reviews it was fixed within a few weeks. I've also noticed turn around day is one time this work gets done or on a port day. IMO Royal does a decent job replacing things like this.

Now off to continue to read your interesting observations.

Normally, Chops is the best filet I have at sea also. I wasn't trying to be "subjective," my point was the "inconsistency." A couple at the table adjoining our table had the same quality filet's that you had and that I had expected.

Another foursome on the way out the one filet looked like the one I had.

Again, just noting the inconsistency, which was the first time on all of our RCCL cruises and Chops. Also, had never had a server approach us later in the cruise and apologize. It was welcomed, but odd.

Again, we'll cruise Oasis Class and Quantum Class ships numerous times per year for the next couple of years. The overall experience is really great.

I'll agree with you on consistency at Chops. I've had some wonderful meals and some not so wonderful.

We loved Grease. I think it followed the original movie. After all it is the story of a goody two shoes teenager who becomes "looser" in the end. I don't think it is appropriate for children but was it meant to be?

There was a notation on the Compass saying that it might not be appropriate for kids. I don't remember the exact wording, but we opted not to take our 8 year old (and were happy with our decision once we saw the show). There were a lot of very young kids there, and I'm guessing most of the adult themes went over their heads. I think my son is just old enough that he would have asked too many questions...and picked up on language and gestures (e.g. middle finger) that I don't need him seeing/hearing. But every family is different, and I think I tend to be conservative in regards to what I let him see.

Back to my comment about Grease: My point was that, we all are paying for entertainment, and entertainment at that time of the afternoon or night should be appropriate for everyone. We didn't have this problem when it was singers and dancers. And sadly, this isn't the only ship which has chosen to have this type of entertainment.

Back to my comment about Grease: My point was that, we all are paying for entertainment, and entertainment at that time of the afternoon or night should be appropriate for everyone. We didn't have this problem when it was singers and dancers. And sadly, this isn't the only ship which has chosen to have this type of entertainment.

Really, you did not like the show. Who's problem is that, not rci, not cc or its posters, it must be your problem.

Maybe you might want to watch it again.

Edited by setsail

Royal licenses the original Broadway shows so they may market it as such, which limits what may be done in terms of the dialogue. Chicago had thematic challenges for children, as well, but every time I saw it the cruise director stressed they were staying true to the Broadway version.

for setsail and TrojanUSC: I'm not saying RCI shouldn't have had Grease, just saying it was not family entertainment at a time when RCI should have had family entertainment. All ages should be able to see and enjoy the major shows which are put on in the afternoon or early evening. I understand you don't get my point and I'm done expressing my view. I'm sure there are others who agree with me. And others who don't get what I am saying and agree with you.

This one requires some explanation, maybe I'm slow today.

No, you're not slow. Others asked about that too. Another member replied to that question and then I confirmed it. Below are such.

Originally Posted by TravelerThom

My interpretation was neither of those. I assumed they wanted a leisurely meal with plenty of time for drinks and appetizers, and not have the entrees (plural) arrive before they wanted or have them arrive cold.

Formula280SS

Thanks, that is correct. We always ask our server to confirm with us when to send the entrees into the Q. Dining out is so much more relaxing when we have time to have a glass of wine (white with a seafood app for me), have a salad and/or try the breads, talk, and settle down once the 'go is given for the entree (and a possible switch in wine depending on the selection of meat, fish, etc.). We also tell the server, we'll likely take longer than most tables, but we will take care of them with an extra gratuity (which we generally do).

I'll agree with you on consistency at Chops. I've had some wonderful meals and some not so wonderful.

Thanks BillOh.

I believe I have been convinced by others in this thread to start to change up on our SOP of 'not dealing with bad meals. As stated earlier, just want to relax; but others have pointed out how quickly they had entrees replaced. So, I guess it's more current symptoms across cruise line (inconsistency) and probably should address it right off when served.

We have changed on of reservations from Oasis for 2017 to MSC Divina Yacht Club. If anyone could compare such to RCCL Suite Classes, and/or Norwegian Haven that would be great (i.e., regarding the private dining, and also other non-food aspects).