Another " bringing liquids on board " question

jolgro

I beg to differ. Our celebrity cruise was not more $$ than Ncl, as a matter of fact, it was one of the least expensive trips we have ever taken (based on a daily cost). And before you go on about when we booked it vs Ncl, both were booked well in advance! And, I don't remember seeing any water bottles strewn about in the port. I just think it would be a nice gesture for Ncl to adopt. If you have the beverage pkg, a free bottle of water when you go ashore would be welcomed. As a responsible person, I would ensure the empty bottle made it to the garbage.

I don't want to pay for your water. So I am VERY happy that they don't hand out water.

Worked in marketing, have you, fshagan? :D;)

Yeah. I've had perfectly accurate technical instructions "edited" by marketing to make it "friendlier". In one case they alphabetized a numbered list of step by step directions making them not so step-by-step.

In today's social media world you are better off being honest. NCL should have said something like "In order to meet our revenue targets without raising fares for everyone, we are now restricting carried on beverages. This policy change will impact a few of our customers negatively, but will help us maintain affordable fares for all customers."

I agree that a bit more honesty would have been a huge improvement! Their major mistake is that they seem to think their customer isn't too bright. Shame on them. I was a communications manager for years, and I'm frequently disappointed by the way NCL handles communications--so very many basic mistakes. I'm glad my on-board experience is so dramatically different from my experiences with corporate.

We were on the Celebrity Summit back in November, for a Southern Caribbean Cruise. Checked prices on their suite and a NCL suite for a 7 night out of San Juan. The Summit was over $1,000 cheaper than NCL - and their suite was a lot nicer. (Our last 2 cruises were in suites on NCL, and this was our first suite with Celebrity.) We had the 4 free package with the suite. Unlimited internet for 2, free beverage, free specialty restaurants, free gratuities, and also got a $300 OBC. Anyway, water is free with Celebrity beverage package and they do not add a 18% service charge on to it. No added service charge for the specialty restaurants. It was nice to grab a cold bottle of water, when exiting at the ports.

I drink a lot of water and don't really care if it is bottled or not; the ship water is fine with me as long as it is cold.

We recently sailed for a week of the Getaway followed by a week on the Regal Princess. The price of water on the NCL cruise was ridiculous; on the Regal 12 bottles were $6.90. I think the bottles on NCL may be bigger, but I don't want bigger bottles than. .5 liters.

I did bring 4 empty water bottles on NCL and just filled them up as needed, but I still think the no water brought on board policy is stupid, as is the high price they want to charge for water bottles.

BTW, our Regal cruise was $200 cheaper than the Getaway, both balcony cabins.

It was nice to grab a cold bottle of water, when exiting at the ports.

Totally agree and BTW Kate45. that water was available for everybody that wanted it on my Celebrity Summit cruise and not just those with UBP. It was very welcome as were the drinks and cold flannels made available dockside on our return to the ship at the end of the day.

Citation needed.

The Wikipedia entry for Aquafina states, "Aquafina Pure Water, the primary unflavored product produced under the Aquafina brand, is derived from local municipal tap water sources and goes through a purification process that incorporates reverse osmosis, ultraviolet, and ozone sterilization.[3] Beginning on July 27, 2007, a disclaimer was added to each bottle of Aquafina, stating the water comes from a "public source""

Or this from the NY Times where the 7th paragraph in states, "Aquafina turned out, like Coca-Cola’s Dasani, to be just tap water in a bottle. In July, PepsiCo Inc. decided to start including the words “Public Water Source” on Aquafina labels."

Is there any still bottled water available on board or in packages other than Aquafina? Evian, Volvic, Highland Spring? Bottled Spring water rather than recycled tap water, which Aquafina is.

Yes, all NCL ships have Acqua Panna spring water available. Also, there are often other still waters available I would call "premium" because they are spring or mountain waters, but the other brands vary by ship. There are no other brands of common drinking water like Evian or Highland Spring.

This post has some details on the pricing for Acqua Panna ($6.49 a quart): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379933

Ok, so, NOT "recycled tap water" then...whatever that means.

Anti-bottled water activists and ignorant journalists try to sensationalize the fact that purified drinking water is from the same source as many municipal water systems. Like many activists they lie by exclusion.

All water is composed of two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen. Some water has additional chemicals in it such as arsenic and lead. Some water has pathogenic microorganisms living in it. They are all water. But there clearly is a difference.

"Tap water" in the US means it is treated to be sanitized. Most municipalities use chemicals you may or may not consider dangerous. If you do not want to ingest arsenic, lead or pathogenic microorganisms you can use this "tap water" and mostly avoid it (don't read this if you are in Flint, MI). It is generally safe.

If you want to avoid the chemicals you may or may not consider dangerous you need to purify that tap water further. This is also an option if you don't like the levels of various naturally occurring chemicals and minerals in your tap water. Enter home filtration or bottled drinking water. It takes the safe water and purifies it further to remove those chemicals and, in my opinion, improve the taste. They use ozone (no residual), UV light (no residual), activated carbon and reverse osmosis filtration. Using these additional measures cost money.

Why some people get all huffy and say it's "just tap water" like it's some kind of Dan Brown conspiracy novel is beyond me. It's not tap water any more.

Yes, all NCL ships have Acqua Panna spring water available. Also, there are often other still waters available I would call "premium" because they are spring or mountain waters, but the other brands vary by ship. There are no other brands of common drinking water like Evian or Highland Spring.

This post has some details on the pricing for Acqua Panna ($6.49 a quart): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379933

Thanks very much for the information. We drink a lot of bottled water at home - Highland Spring (Scottish spring water), otherwise Evian. I am not keen on the Pepsi.Co / Coca Cola filtered tap waters, so was just asking if any alternatives are available to purchase on board, as we cannot bring any on ourselves.

Is there any still bottled water available on board or in packages other than Aquafina? Evian, Volvic, Highland Spring? Bottled Spring water rather than recycled tap water, which Aquafina is.

Uhhhhh.... you can be pretty certain that in actual fact ALL water is recycled.

I sure do long for the days when the ship will have a vast selection of bottled water to choose from. It'd be nice to get something appropriate for breakfast and then maybe something sporty for lunch. Maybe they could have a special dinner featuring water pairings appropriate to each course. Maybe they could have a dessert on a mirror and serve up naïvE water just to rub it in people's face?

Uhhhhh.... you can be pretty certain that in actual fact ALL water is recycled.

I sure do long for the days when the ship will have a vast selection of bottled water to choose from. It'd be nice to get something appropriate for breakfast and then maybe something sporty for lunch. Maybe they could have a special dinner featuring water pairings appropriate to each course. Maybe they could have a dessert on a mirror and serve up naïvE water just to rub it in people's face?

Perhaps you should take along with you on your next cruise, Martin Riese. According to his website he is America's only certified Water Sommelier, I kid you not. He also humbly describes himself as "The World's foremost water sommelier!" I'm sure he will help you with your pairings. :D

http://www.martin-riese.com

If you buy a case of liter bottles, the cost is about $2.50 a bottle. At my favorite 7-11, it's $2.30 a bottle of Aquafina. Considering that it burn fuel carrying tons of bottle water, seems cost comparable. Nowhere as cheap as buying at Costco,,, but similar to what I would pay for the exact same water at a convenience store.

We get 24 bottles for 2.50$

Perhaps you should take along with you on your next cruise, Martin Riese. According to his website he is America's only certified Water Sommelier, I kid you not. He also humbly describes himself as "The World's foremost water sommelier!" I'm sure he will help you with your pairings. :D

http://www.martin-riese.com

Just remember what Evian is when spelled backwards.