Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Good afternoon all ...

The pork wasn't successful as I hoped and wifey and I conclude that the baby back ribs just had too little meat on them with virtually no fat .... and the tenderloin is unsuitable due to a lack of ribbling fat. Wifey reassures me that the tast and everything else was fine we just need much thich fattier meats. So the weekend will see us with a pork belly to play with and a small lamb shoulder. Might also just try some chicken thighs but I'm not certin they will be as good.

Ernie ..... thanks for the pointer .. I will study.

M, wax lyrical all you want .... I implore! Your comments are so perceptive and wise. And as you know I totally agree. The thing is that the internet and forums have the potential to enhance, inspire be a source of genuine friendships; a source of life changing information and education, but also literally the potential to end life and it is how we all decide it will progress that will decide whether it is a thing for good life enhancement for us all, or destructive and evil. Some as you say so eloquently do not seem to "get it" or agree.

No one becomes bigger by making another person smaller. You get bigger by making others bigger. So far the Cooler has been the haven of a good atmosphere without constant moderation because coolers have deicded that only decentness will be tolerated and rudeness will be condemned by the majority. I feel it is important that the only time that we should "gang up" on someone is to condemn rudeness or hurtfulness. If we stand by and not get invloved the badness becomes corrosive. Several years ago there was a cohoot of people here on threads generally who seemed only happy to gang up and redicule others, hence the reason I started the cooler to simply see whether it could work with almost self-moderation.

In terms of reputations, some do not understand that when they always sneer or redicule or misrepresent and contort other posters and try to jeer at opinions they do not wish to consider then when they subsequently post an opinion they do so with a reputation that has lost credibility and been tarnished. If they simply then say these are the facts, if the facts were as they say they expected them to be when sneeing and misrepresenting those with opposing veiws and experiences, then no sensible person believes them. They have destroyed their own credbility. People say "oh what a suprise ..... they haven't changed their mind!".

As life get's more complex and life styles change then virtual friendships will take an increasingly larger part of relationships. They are identical to traditional friendships except the physical presence but all other components are distilled and enhanced. You know whether someone has a generous or mean spirit. Are intelligent or dumb. Are helpful or selfish. Simply post to boast or to share. Are nice or nasty. The reality is the web will be what we all decide it should be and those that understand it are intelligent and those that do not are dumb.

Good afternoon all ...

The pork wasn't successful as I hoped and wifey and I conclude that the baby back ribs just had too little meat on them with virtually no fat .... and the tenderloin is unsuitable due to a lack of ribbling fat. Wifey reassures me that the tast and everything else was fine we just need much thich fattier meats. So the weekend will see us with a pork belly to play with and a small lamb shoulder. Might also just try some chicken thighs but I'm not certin they will be as good.

Ernie ..... thanks for the pointer .. I will study.

M, wax lyrical all you want .... I implore! Your comments are so perceptive and wise. And as you know I totally agree. The thing is that the internet and forums have the potential to enhance, inspire be a source of genuine friendships; a source of life changing information and education, but also literally the potential to end life and it is how we all decide it will progress that will decide whether it is a thing for good life enhancement for us all, or destructive and evil. Some as you say so eloquently do not seem to "get it" or agree.

No one becomes bigger by making another person smaller. You get bigger by making others bigger. So far the Cooler has been the haven of a good atmosphere without constant moderation because coolers have deicded that only decentness will be tolerated and rudeness will be condemned by the majority. I feel it is important that the only time that we should "gang up" on someone is to condemn rudeness or hurtfulness. If we stand by and not get invloved the badness becomes corrosive. Several years ago there was a cohoot of people here on threads generally who seemed only happy to gang up and redicule others, hence the reason I started the cooler to simply see whether it could work with almost self-moderation.

In terms of reputations, some do not understand that when they always sneer or redicule or misrepresent and contort other posters and try to jeer at opinions they do not wish to consider then when they subsequently post an opinion they do so with a reputation that has lost credibility and been tarnished. If they simply then say these are the facts, if the facts were as they say they expected them to be when sneeing and misrepresenting those with opposing veiws and experiences, then no sensible person believes them. They have destroyed their own credbility. People say "oh what a suprise ..... they haven't changed their mind!".

As life get's more complex and life styles change then virtual friendships will take an increasingly larger part of relationships. They are identical to traditional friendships except the physical presence but all other components are distilled and enhanced. You know whether someone has a generous or mean spirit. Are intelligent or dumb. Are helpful or selfish. Simply post to boast or to share. Are nice or nasty. The reality is the web will be what we all decide it should be and those that understand it are intelligent and those that do not are dumb.

Well said! I am very much enjoying Water Cooler:Part 3! I have read some general posts elsewhere that have been quite snarky and as a new CC member, one could just decide not to participate.

Well said! I am very much enjoying Water Cooler:Part 3! I have read some general posts elsewhere that have been quite snarky and as a new CC member, one could just decide not to participate.

That is so kind ..... but we do need people to chat and join in so we have a range of interests etc - so do feel it is a place to join and and post about anything .....

That is so kind ..... but we do need people to chat and join in so we have a range of interests etc - so do feel it is a place to join and and post about anything .....

I have just read with interest the reference to the Crew Welfare Fund. I tried searching threads and "My Silversea" and could not find more info. I tipped my wonderful stewards and maids on my previous cruises, but I would appreciate learning more about the Welfare Fund.

Thanks,

Penny

I have just read with interest the reference to the Crew Welfare Fund. I tried searching threads and "My Silversea" and could not find more info. I tipped my wonderful stewards and maids on my previous cruises, but I would appreciate learning more about the Welfare Fund.

Thanks,

Penny

Penny, this is all a matter of personal choice as you know.

You might consider the Cruise Welfare Fund which is ostensibly shared between all staff as an addition or if you wish to replace your individual gratuities. You pay by going to reception and organising it with them. Another option and thought is to ask them to cancel the contribution made to the owner's wife's charity which is automatically added to your bill without asking and have them add that with any top up you may want to the CWF.

There is just one thing that plays on my mind about it. Some time ago there was some scandal with SS invloving wilful breaches of hygiene laws you may be aware of. At the same time as that, a disgruntled ex-employee - he was I believe the "whistle blower" although I may be wrong, tried taking SS to court because (from memory) he was claiming that he was expected to work hours without either pay or overtime under threat of dismissal. So he was essentially (he claimed) at the mercy of SS or being fired. He also complained that he was expected to use unhygenic procedures including to scam the drinks ie decant cheap brands into named liquor bottles and serve prosseco when champagne had been requested. He also asserted that the CWF was used for furniture for mess areas which most would feel should be paid for by SS. I do not know whether any of the allegations were true, I only know he tried pursuing SS through the courts but it came to a brick wall due to which territorry was the correct one to litigate. So you may simply wish to ask someone you trust, preferably not a manager what the truth is. People here will offer opinion, accurate, well-informed or not, but this is one issue you may try to find the answer too first hand rather than rely on the forum.

Another option few think off but you might consider is to keep a few cheapish international phone-cards with you and use those as tips. I'm a Brit, so I prefer to say something like "Thanks for looking after us, I have this phone-card with some balance on it ... please take it". They soon find out when they use it that it's a "virgin card" and it was a tip. Both sides save face. Some of us Brits are strange when it comes to tipping. All staff need to call home. :)

Hope this is helpful, but in principle the CWF is a great idea perhaps in addition to targetted thankyous and assuming the cash is used in the way you think it should be. Others will chip in.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Penny, this is all a matter of personal choice as you know.

You might consider the Cruise Welfare Fund which is ostensibly shared between all staff as an addition or if you wish to replace your individual gratuities. You pay by going to reception and organising it with them. Another option and thought is to ask them to cancel the contribution made to the owner's wife's charity which is automatically added to your bill without asking and have them add that with any top up you may want to the CWF.

There is just one thing that plays on my mind about it. Some time ago there was some scandal with SS invloving wilful breaches of hygiene laws you may be aware of. It has in fact happened twice from recall, eg:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881506&highlight=hygiene

At the same time as that, a disgruntled ex-employee tried taking SS to court because (from memory) he was claiming that he was expected to work hours without either pay or overtime under threat of dismissal. This was because many, or most of staff at this level are not direct employees but work for a company who supplies contract staff to SS. So he was essentiall (he claimed) at the mercy of SS even though they didn't employ him. He also complained that he was expected to scam the drinks ie decant cheap brands into named liquor bottles and serve prosseco when champagne had been requested. He also asserted that the CWF was used for furniture for mess areas which most would feel should be paid for by SS. I do not know whether any of the allegations were true, I only know he tried pursuing SS through the courts but it came to a brick wall due to which territorry was the correct one to litigate. So you may simply wish to ask someone you trust, preferably not a manager what the truth is.

Hope this is helpful, but in principle the CWF is a great idea perhaps in addition to targetted thank yous and assuming the cash is used in the way you think it should be. Others will chip in.

Thank you, Jeff. I did mean the Cruise Welfare Fund.. I, too, was aware of the complaints from the disgruntled employee. As we all know, disgruntled employees can sometimes wreak havoc! I have been so pleased with the folks who have assisted me on my two SS cruises, and I look forward to experiencing same this coming November.

The phone cards are a nice idea. Most of the crew use free apps to call home and elsewhere.

I truly hope the crew welfare fund is indeed just that, for the welfare of the crew.

I have heard that some longtime cruisers organize and pay for crew parties. Not sure how that works.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi folks, wow, so much to read:eek:....I didn't go back and read it all though..........I would normally give my cabin attendant

(in this case Butler) extra cash.......I am guessing they would be ok with that?:D....would they prefer Euros or US $?

Lois, if you would like to give cash, I've found that either would do. Since I usually travel the Med, I asked my butler if $ would be ok (once that I had run out of Euros). After much debating, since he did not want to accept anything, he did say that they traveled the world. So, I shaked his hand and left a $ bill in his hand and left quickly. However, I would recommend you only do this (either with Euros or Dollars) only if you feel that the person has done an outstanding job. Please don't reward mediocrity, else the person will continue in that mode.

Hi folks, wow, so much to read:eek:....I didn't go back and read it all though..........I would normally give my cabin attendant

(in this case Butler) extra cash.......I am guessing they would be ok with that?:D....would they prefer Euros or US $?

I've given Euros before my last European port. The maid was especially pleased as she was able to get some special treats for her and her husband before we began the crossing. The butler was also happy as he was able to go ashore and call his wife in India.

I've given Euros before my last European port. The maid was especially pleased as she was able to get some special treats for her and her husband before we began the crossing. The butler was also happy as he was able to go ashore and call his wife in India. Oh yes and their service certainly merited the gratuity, so much so that I did not feel it necessary to wait until the end of the cruise.

Thanks for the replies and no worries about the English:).......oh, I would never give anything extra for "mediocre service".

I would expect it to be superb on this line though:D but I am quite easy to please so not too concerned about anything.:)

Blimey, what a busy cooler we have and it's so lovely to read all the news together with some excellent pics 😊

Agree with all that's been said about the Crew Fund and l always put an envelope in as well as a 'Thank You' to the butler and suite attendant as they all give such excellent service.......usually in US dollars.

Spins....I've also seen pax hosting crew events but not sure how that all works either!

Busy weekend here as I'm dog sitting a friends springer so it could be quite challenging with two lively pooches in the house!

At least the weather is good so it will be garden play!

Stocked up from the farm shop so just about to enjoy one of their chicken and leek pies for lunch....

Happy Weekend To All

S☺️

Greetings Coolers! More rain here today and expected to continue in this vein until possibly Tuesday. Seriously, this is not what we were hoping for after the long cold winter. Upside is the weeds in our back lawn are loving it. :(

I have decided on another expense cutting idea. I had already decided to give up the hair dye and had my hair cut very short to facilitate the transition. Not quite as short as Myster's hair but pretty darn close. I began to think about the fee that Myster pays for his haircuts ($17) versus what I could expect to pay at a salon for my short hair ($70). Now, I reasoned, barbers are used to cutting short hair so maybe I should try that venue for mine. I plan to give it a go next week. Even if it doesn't work out, my hair grows like a bad weed so the cut will not last very long.

Miss S., have fun with the lovely pooches!

Have a great day all!

I guess this is a "sitting weekend" for MissS. and for myself. The parents are off to a weekend sans kids, and we get three adorable, active, grandchildren to entertain! We are planning to visit Niagara Falls tomorrow, but still at a loss on what to do on Sunday. Unfortunately, the children do not have passports yet, so we won't be able to cross into Canada for the wonderful view of the Falls and the Butterfly Conservatory. In the NYS side, I hope we can visit the Upside Down House. Would there be anything else worth visiting that any of you know of? Have a great weekend, friends!

Are the grandkids old enough to go hiking in Watkins Glen, or any of the other state parks that abound in the area?

We are in WG this weekend, going to a barrel tasting at Wiemer. Too bad they aren't old enough for that! ;)

JP, the kids are 12,10 and 8, and we do frequent hiking trips with them in nice weather. But we've never been to the Watkins Glen Park, and that's a great idea! When living in Ithaca, we used to go to WG for the wineries and the lake. Wiemer is our favorite. Barrel tasting, that should be fun! Tell us all about it when you get back.

Good afternoon Coolers ....

A lovely sunny day here in Blighty where we are all still reeling from the fire which I think we all fear will have an actual count of over a hundred .... perhaps in actuality considerably more because of the number of transient people that may have been in the block and will be unaccounted for.

The consequence of this fire cannot be under-estimated. Not just because of every individual personal tragedy but because of the growing anger on so many different fronts that we may not fully comprehend for some time.

No one can be anything other than moved by the accounts of people sending their final messages to their loved ones before they were consumed. This is I guess the consquence of our technology where everything is shared and transmitted. We now hear and see what is happening to people in their worst moments. You cannot be other than moved when you hear about fireman being told to write their names on their helmets because the risks were recognised that they were being asked to do things that may cost them their lives. Or their stories in having to decide at the moment who they should save and remove and who they should abandon.

It transpires that it may be about a single person who had a fridge that caught fire and who left the building safely and the installation of flamable panels on the outside of the building that could have been upgraded to flame retardant for a total cost of £5k for the whole building. It also involves the lack of alarms and sprinklers and advice to stay in a burning building rather than leave.

This terrible tragedy will also likey hasten the departure of our current Prime Minister. I do not think for a moment that she is without feeling but that is how she will be portrayed. She visited the site yesterday presumably to try and better understand what she need do as PM. But she spoke to no ordinary people. Jeremy Corbyn did. He hugged people and was there. The Queen and her son visited today and engaged and was exactly what us Brits expect of our Queen. She was there when her country needed her.

This last week saw a terrible tragedy that should never have happened. It however showed the Brit spirit where they had to beg people not to come and help anymore as the help was overwhelming. It reminded us why we have a monarchy. And it also showed us how utterly absurd and useless some of our leaders are and there are real changes ahead for all of us.

The unintended consequence of all these terrible things is that we may end up with even more instability and being ruled by a nasty organisation unknown to many called Momentum.

But our thoughts today are with the families of those in Grenfell Tower.

So right you are Jeff....I'm so disappointed with Mrs May.....there were some reports that she didn't visit the victims due to security issues yet Corbyn went right in as did our Queen and William today so it doesn't make sense........☺️

It is really in the worst of times that people show their true colours. And these are the worst of times. Very powerful post J! Thanks for fleshing out the story. News coverage here gives a very bare bones and dispassionate look at a heart-breaking tragedy!

Hi friends, I got my cruise documents today:D....boy, they are really beautiful......silver box and REAL PAPER Documents

with luggage tags and that lovely book with tons of information.:)