Kusadasi excursion? (other than Ephesus)

• 4 months later...

We do not do "excursions" but have been to Kusadasi 5 times and done quite a few different things. With a rental car (our favorite way to travel) or a private tour you could certainly visit Priene, Didyma, and Miletus...if you have a lot of interest in ruins. If you would happen to be in Kusadasi on a Tuesday....you could rent a car and drive all the way to the town of Tire for its very interesting weekly street market (very few cruisers have ever done this). If you are planning to just stay in Kusadasi...you really do not need a tour. You can get around to most of the city on your feet and use a taxi if you plan on heading to some other place such as the beach. English is widely spoken in Kusadasi so you would have few language issues. There have been many cruise cancellations to Turkey this year...so we suspect that all the Kusadasi merchants are having one of their worst years in history. This might make shopping very interesting as it could turn out to be a buyer's market. This is a city that has been getting around 1000 cruise ship calls a year...but this year one suspects it will be less then half that number.

i

Hank

I expect the OP has already made their plans (original post was in December), but if not, it sounds as if she's asking what there is to do in Kusadasi itself -- in which case I can answer "not much", unless you enjoy shopping.

The whole town is basically geared around tourism, much like some of the Caribbean islands. There are a thousand and one shops with owners expert at parting you from your money.

Shopping has little charm for me, but if you enjoy it you are in luck. The only other somewhat interesting options that can be done in town are having an authentic Turkish bath at a hamam (although even that is now rather touristy), or enjoying a delicious fresh fish dinner with several mezes and maybe a cold Efes beer -- a local brew. The food in Turkey is almost always fresh and delicious.