2nd Bridge on Azura?

iamjohnbamber

I like watching ships come in and out of Port Canaveral on the webcam, and tuned in this morning to see the Azura docked where the Royal Caribbean ships usually are.

As I was looking at the back of the ship, I saw what looked to me like a second navigational bridge spanning the rear of the ship. It didn't look like a typical lounge or something else overlooking the rear.

I've attached a link to a picture here:

https://postimg.org/image/s4285ia4h/

Anyone know, is this actually a second bridge, or is it a bar/lounge that just happens to resemble what the front bridge of a ship usually looks like on the outside?

Edited by minicoopjeep
Image didn't work.

Yes, this is the late night bar which has a small stage; port end, and often live music of an evening. It is arranged more or less across the ship and at each end there are seats in the bar where you can look forward directly at the sea and along the sides of the ship. This has got to be the worst place to sit in rough seas if you get sea sick otherwise it is brilliant.

A good idea of how it looks this is on a sister ship on Youtube:

Regards John

Edited by john watson

It's called Metropolis on the Ventura - can't recall if it's the same on Azura. One nice feature is a series of plasma panels all along the front wall that together show a composite view of a city from round the world - Paris, Sydney, Hong Kong, etc - in real time. Good to sit and watch while waiting for a dinner table for 2 to be free! The Azura panels are larger than Ventura, as I remember, and so slightly better to watch.

On Azura it's called The Planet Bar.

The screens show scenes from places around the World, like horses galloping in beautiful meadows, or the water market in Malaysia (can't remember exact place) rather than just city scapes as on Ventura.

It's one of the best bars on the ship!

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

I had to look up what "bemused" means... I was puzzled also! That's why I asked :)

Cruise lines are also innovating all the time I thought it was something new.

I know it's silly but hey, don't know unless you ask, right?

Also, I've never sailed on this line so I'm unfamiliar with their ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had to look up what "bemused" means... I was puzzled also! That's why I asked :)

Cruise lines are also innovating all the time I thought it was something new.

I know it's silly but hey, don't know unless you ask, right?

Also, I've never sailed on this line so I'm unfamiliar with their ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly like all the super Grand Princess class of ships, eg Crown, Emerald and Ruby and also Sapphire and Diamond, there should have been the possibilty of lots of sightings of these on any number of webcams around the Caribbean and US cruise ports.

This has got to be the worst place to sit in rough seas if you get sea sick otherwise it is brilliant.

It is a brilliant place to sit, especially in rough seas... but then I don't get sea sick.

In rough seas you can see the movement of the ship and especially how the ship pivots around the middle, and the enormous rise and fall of the prow as it crashes through the waves.

Yes, this is the late night bar which has a small stage; port end, and often live music of an evening.

A good idea of how it looks this is on a sister ship on Youtube:

Regards John

The bar is quite popular too during the day as an observation lounge and is open all day for groups like the art & craft groups. It's very popular for pre-dinner drinks and the video wall is great.

As others have said its a bar and indeed the best bar ive been in except for the crows nest on Britannia (Another P&O Cruises ship)...

I remember sitting up in the planet bar reading my kindle and occasionally looking up towards the front of the ship watching it sail through gale force 9 storms on the Bay of Biscay (Between Spain & France) and the captain coming on the tannoy asking passengers not to go outside on balconies or outside spaces...

Also sat there reading leaving Lisbon and sailing under the Bridge