Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Thanks for the high praise.

Glad I am able to share our vacation with everyone here. When you share your cruise vacation with family and friends who are not into cruises, you can tell they are only half way paying attention out of politeness. When you share the info with CC folks, everyone is much more interested in what you have to say so it’s a different experience.

We are scheduled to cruise again in December this year – sailing either December 16 or 17, depending on which cruise we end up choosing. That would mean I should be back home around Christmas and the next trip report, hopefully there will be one, should be sometime between Christmas and New Year. But my joke writing team (of one) will need to think of new jokes between now and then…

Since you are high on the anal scale (as am I), I am sure you have already checked your kids school holiday schedule for next year. I am only mentioning it because my kids have always had the week before xmas and the week after. However, this next year they are getting the week of xmas (the 25th is on a Monday) and the week of New Years. There are quite a few school districts that did that already this year, and it was strange as some kids were in school again while others still had a week to go.

Hopefully that isn't the case with your district and you can still go the cheapo route with the before xmas sailing!

Thanks again for your awesome trip review. Loved every post:-)

Harry, although we are on the Harmony…we will not look down, not check CC, will visit the crazy aunt in prison (because we tend to shy away from her) and sample as much of the cruise buffet as we can fit in.

FYI, our fav in St. Marrtin is a wonderful tour guide by the name of Joyce Prince. Her tour was the best one we have ever taken and we have booked her again for our next cruise in April. She's a genuine person who loves her island, is friendly, knowledgeable and a wonderful tour guide. The booking process is easy via email. You can contact her by phone as well. You can make suggestions of places you want to visit or things you'd like to do and then she will customize your tour. We stopped at some of the most spectacular scenery on top of mountains and cliffs that overlooked the city, ocean and the colorful Caribbean homes. Not really cheapO Dad material at 65-75pp but not at 120pp either. Van fits 6-7 people.

Thanks for the amazing trip review. You provided details to a newbie that was nowhere else.

Question, where are the menus online? We are sailing on the Jewel OTS in March

You’re welcome. I am closer to newbie than a veteran cruiser so I try to point out info that is important to newbies.

Here is the link at the old version of the menu. On post #2, Ken provided the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265821&highlight=menu

For the most part, the revised menu are the same in that they are still called by the same names each night, but some key “high dollar value” items have been swapped out for lower value items as part of the cost cutting.

If you are a fish eater or vegetarian it won’t impact you one bit.

For example, on day 1, the menu is "Mojo". On the old printed version, you would have had prime rib as option. On our cruise, the prime rib was not there. If you are a fish eater, you care not. But if you are a big meat eater, then you feel like RCI short changed you by taking that away.

Same idea on day 2, where you had the "Saffron" menu and instead of the duck on the previous version, they gave us chicken instead. Sure, same fowl category, but chicken costs less...

Thanks for the compliments (although no thanks for the Super Bowl reminder)! I've learned from doing the reviews that I have done so far that it seems the better ones have more photos and less me rambling on! :) Like you, I could never do a "live" trip report. Although I cannot sit still for long, I don't think I would want to dedicate vacation time to a report.

This next one I will be experimenting with new toys. I had mentioned before the Sony A7 w/ a telephoto lens that I am borrowing from work. A friend of mine is also loaning me his GoPro camera so that will be fun to play with as well.

Although my cruise is in 2 weeks, I don't see myself starting a report until March. I do everything in Word first, including the BB tags, then copy & paste into CC posts, and I like to have 5-6 posts ready to go when getting one started to help me try to stay ahead, but that doesn't last for long... :)

Thanks for the link regarding the drones - I'll check it out, and yes there will be some Disney tie formal night appearances... :D

Well, I sorta kinda did a live thing for the Freedom cruise from my old Allure report when our plane was delayed at the airport and I posted pictures up to the cruise terminal. It was fun to let people know in real time about your travel info but it was a lot of work. I tip my hat to people that can do live reports. I am too lazy and unwilling to give up my vacation time to share with people. Also you can’t “get away” if you are connected.

Yeah, I do the same for my trip report. Type in MS Word to get the major errors corrected and then add in the links. I have slow cheap DSL connection for uploads so it always takes a long time to upload all the pictures.

So what are your touring plans for San Juan and St. Kitts?

Harry - I just finished your closing statements to this fun trip report. I am sitting on the plane flying from Hartford to Orlando. I will spend 3 days in Orlando visiting my mom before heading to FLL to meet my Hubby and son for our Freedom cruise!

We sailed the Freedom in 2009 and we have been to all the ports before. I am an anal planner like you so I had researched the ship and ports prior to this sailing even being booked!! With that said, I am excited about all the new information I have found in your trip report! I appreciate the time and effort you took to share your trip with us!

I also enjoyed your detours! In 2005 I took my sons on a cross-country trip. We saw so many of the places you shared - Devils Tower, The Badlands, Hoover Dam, the Pacific coast, etc.

Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Keli,

Thanks you for the kind words. Glad you found the info helpful. Especially since you know the ship better than me.

How long did it take you to do a cross country road trip? That’s something my wife wants to do one day but not sure I am up to it.

Hi, Keli,

Thanks you for the kind words. Glad you found the info helpful. Especially since you know the ship better than me.

How long did it take you to do a cross country road trip? That’s something my wife wants to do one day but not sure I am up to it.

We took 5 weeks for the trip. That was for CT to Seattle, down to San Francisco, to Yosemite and south through the red woods then east to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. We then went up to the 4 corners and into Colorado to Rocky Mountain National Park. Then back to CT. Total of 9025 miles. We camped about 2/3 of the nights. We didn't really stop anywhere east of the Mississippi. The trip was about everything west of there!

I was lucky enough to see several places out west as a kid. I realized in 2004 that in order for my kids to see those places plus more we needed to combine them into one big trip!! It was a great experience that my kids treasure now that they have gotten over all those car hours! Lol. I was lucky enough to be able to do it with them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very late in on this review, but I want to second the miniature effects! I LOVE them! My father in law does miniature trains and I always think my pics would make a great train layout...

Look forward to reading the rest of your great review! We sail on the Liberty of the Seas on Feb 26th. :)

No worries. No such thing as being late in reading this. Just like reading a book. It’s self paced.

I’ll be here at the end whenever you get to it.

I find that if you take miniatures of things that your mind’s eyes are used to seeing as miniatures, it’s easier to accept them as being real miniatures. What I mean is that things like trains or cars or houses that we typically see in miniature displays, then we when see them in pictures, they look more like models.

16136301530_26ea4bc704_b.jpg

16136297400_5cdfa74107_b.jpg

Just as Fletch and I have discussed, go download the various free apps and you can retroactively miniaturize any picture on your phone.

Have fun on your cruise.

Harry, this is an outstanding review! Once you start reading, you can't stop. When is your next cruise? I need to highlight it in my diary so I can wait for your next cheapo-review [emoji14][emoji847]. Thanks for taking us along

Cindy

Hi, Cindy,

Thanks for reading this from the beginning ot the end. Hopefully the info will be useful for your TA cruise.

So I am like popcorn/chips/peanuts? Once you start, you can’t just have one and stop?

We are tentatively scheduled to cruise either December 16 or 17th, depending on which ship we end up choosing. We should be back home around Christmas time for me to write something within the week.

Right now I’m mentally exhausted after doing this report for a whole month so I’ll need time to recharge the battery before even thinking about writing another one. But as another cruiser just pointed out, my kids’ school could have a conflict and if that’s the case, we will skip the cruise for 2017. We’ll see.

You have a great TA cruise and I’m sure we’ll talk again down the road in other threads as I have seen you being active in other posts. Once I start my road trip research, I will be away from CC and spending more on Trip Advisor but I’m sure we will converse on other threads down the road.

Thank you again for your great report. Even though we are sailing on Indy, not Freedom, I really appreciated the information, pictures and the time you spent putting it all together. I will miss your posts!

Hi, Susan,

Thanks for the compliment and appreciate you following along to the end.

Glad the info is helpful even to a veteran cruiser like you.

You have a great cruise on the Indy.

I still need to look into doing a travel blog like yours.

Since you are high on the anal scale (as am I), I am sure you have already checked your kids school holiday schedule for next year. I am only mentioning it because my kids have always had the week before xmas and the week after. However, this next year they are getting the week of xmas (the 25th is on a Monday) and the week of New Years. There are quite a few school districts that did that already this year, and it was strange as some kids were in school again while others still had a week to go.

Hopefully that isn't the case with your district and you can still go the cheapo route with the before xmas sailing!

Thanks again for your awesome trip review. Loved every post:-)

Yes, I checked but the schedule for next year is not out yet. I even emailed the school district to ask them about the 2017/2018 school calendar. The folks up here are not as organized your school district down south and they have no clue on what they will do next year.

For the 2016 winter break, my kids were off for 2 week starting on 12/17 and didn’t go back to school until 1/3 as they had Jan 2 off as a makeup for January 1 being on a Sunday.

Now looking at the 2017, I was hoping for the same thing in that the can be off on 12/16 and have the same January 2 return to school. That would be exact number of days off and they go back on Jan 2. So I’m hoping they repeat that.

If they changed the schedule like our school, then we are screwed and most likely will cancel both cruises and just go Disneyland or Death Valley for another road trip instead as it’s unlikely we will take them out of school and I’m unwilling to pay the premium for Christmas cruise.

Thanks again for the very entertaining and informative review. It was a joy to follow along with you and your wonderful family. Happy motoring on your next road trip. Any idea where you will be going yet?

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed it.

We are looking to go to Nevada/Arizona/Utah area to look at more rocks and Grand Canyons and the national parks.

The one place I’m really hoping to see is Monument Valley. It’s in every other western movie and it looks so WOW in picture. This is “western” in the classic sense. Not a drop of water in sight. Totally different than a cruise experience.

Hope my actual pictures will be 1/10 as good as these I found online.

32623471032_7cc1d94103_b.jpg

32736001626_8cfb9550f8_b.jpg

Harry, although we are on the Harmony…we will not look down, not check CC, will visit the crazy aunt in prison (because we tend to shy away from her) and sample as much of the cruise buffet as we can fit in.

FYI, our fav in St. Marrtin is a wonderful tour guide by the name of Joyce Prince. Her tour was the best one we have ever taken and we have booked her again for our next cruise in April. She's a genuine person who loves her island, is friendly, knowledgeable and a wonderful tour guide. The booking process is easy via email. You can contact her by phone as well. You can make suggestions of places you want to visit or things you'd like to do and then she will customize your tour. We stopped at some of the most spectacular scenery on top of mountains and cliffs that overlooked the city, ocean and the colorful Caribbean homes. Not really cheapO Dad material at 65-75pp but not at 120pp either. Van fits 6-7 people.

Hi, Amy,

Thanks for the tip on the tour. I will write down the info for my cruise research. I hope we get to go on a cruise later this year.

Have fun on the Harmony. Yes, enjoy the ship while on vacation, not the cell phone or CC.

Yes, I checked but the schedule for next year is not out yet. I even emailed the school district to ask them about the 2017/2018 school calendar. The folks up here are not as organized your school district down south and they have no clue on what they will do next year.

For the 2016 winter break, my kids were off for 2 week starting on 12/17 and didn’t go back to school until 1/3 as they had Jan 2 off as a makeup for January 1 being on a Sunday.

Now looking at the 2017, I was hoping for the same thing in that the can be off on 12/16 and have the same January 2 return to school. That would be exact number of days off and they go back on Jan 2. So I’m hoping they repeat that.

If they changed the schedule like our school, then we are screwed and most likely will cancel both cruises and just go Disneyland or Death Valley for another road trip instead as it’s unlikely we will take them out of school and I’m unwilling to pay the premium for Christmas cruise.

Hi Harry,

I haven't posted in a while but I have thoroughly enjoyed the review. This sequel certainly did not bomb as some do.

Sounds like you are going through what we went through this year having to change from the Freedom to the Allure after NY's. We have the same thing next year but unfortunately that 1 day shift in the calendar did not work out nearly as well next year. I have a 5 day Navigator leaving the 31'st booked although it is up there in price and I will probably cancel it. The other one I have booked is a 3 day Enchantment leaving on January 2 that we would combine with a few days at Universal beforehand. Not a lot of options and no 6 or 7 day cruises that aren't the pricy Holiday sailings.

Whatever you decide it will still be time away from work spent with your family.

We are looking to go to Nevada/Arizona/Utah area to look at more rocks and Grand Canyons and the national parks.

The one place I’m really hoping to see is Monument Valley. It’s in every other western movie and it looks so WOW in picture. This is “western” in the classic sense. Not a drop of water in sight. Totally different than a cruise experience.

That's an incredibly scenic part of the country. I haven't actually been down into Monument Valley, but I have skirted it on US 163. The five National Parks in Utah are amazing. My favorite is Arches, but they're all worth a visit. The Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed. Pictures cannot do justice to the scope and scale of the place.

If you're planning on going to a number of National Parks and Monuments, be sure and pick up an America The Beautiful Pass. It costs $80 and is good for an entire year at all National Park Service Units. You'll save money over separate Park admissions.

That's an incredibly scenic part of the country. I haven't actually been down into Monument Valley, but I have skirted it on US 163. The five National Parks in Utah are amazing. My favorite is Arches, but they're all worth a visit. The Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed. Pictures cannot do justice to the scope and scale of the place.

If you're planning on going to a number of National Parks and Monuments, be sure and pick up an America The Beautiful Pass. It costs $80 and is good for an entire year at all National Park Service Units. You'll save money over separate Park admissions.

That annual pass also gets you discounts on campsites at most parks as well as gets your family into the fort at San Jose.

-Sean

Hi, Cindy,

Thanks for reading this from the beginning ot the end. Hopefully the info will be useful for your TA cruise.

So I am like popcorn/chips/peanuts? Once you start, you can’t just have one and stop?

We are tentatively scheduled to cruise either December 16 or 17th, depending on which ship we end up choosing. We should be back home around Christmas time for me to write something within the week.

Right now I’m mentally exhausted after doing this report for a whole month so I’ll need time to recharge the battery before even thinking about writing another one. But as another cruiser just pointed out, my kids’ school could have a conflict and if that’s the case, we will skip the cruise for 2017. We’ll see.

You have a great TA cruise and I’m sure we’ll talk again down the road in other threads as I have seen you being active in other posts. Once I start my road trip research, I will be away from CC and spending more on Trip Advisor but I’m sure we will converse on other threads down the road.

Yup, this is like popcorn and chips. I avoid them, because they are not very healthy. But your thread kept my mental balance healthy. [emoji1][emoji4]Although I sailed Freedom in 2011, I found great info for my TA.

I really hope you won't have a conflict with the kids school. That would be a bummer. And if Adventure is ever in the balance, do not hesitate. She is a great ship.

Yes, we'll sure see each other around CC. I may even be doing a live report for my TA. Very anxious and excited to sail.

Thanks again and see you around

Cindy

I'm very "cheapo mom" - cramming 4 of us inside room. Yes, its seems crazy, but I cannot imagine that we will spend much time there. Plus with the Canadian dollar taking a serious nose dive.....

Thanks for the 411. Its our family reunion, so there are 10 of us; I wanted to check the menu before "giving up" the 1st formal night in the BOGO dining offer.

You’re welcome. I am closer to newbie than a veteran cruiser so I try to point out info that is important to newbies.

Here is the link at the old version of the menu. On post #2, Ken provided the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265821&highlight=menu

For the most part, the revised menu are the same in that they are still called by the same names each night, but some key “high dollar value” items have been swapped out for lower value items as part of the cost cutting.

If you are a fish eater or vegetarian it won’t impact you one bit.

For example, on day 1, the menu is "Mojo". On the old printed version, you would have had prime rib as option. On our cruise, the prime rib was not there. If you are a fish eater, you care not. But if you are a big meat eater, then you feel like RCI short changed you by taking that away.

Same idea on day 2, where you had the "Saffron" menu and instead of the duck on the previous version, they gave us chicken instead. Sure, same fowl category, but chicken costs less...