Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Hi, Susan,

Thanks for the compliment and appreciate you following along to the end.

Glad the info is helpful even to a veteran cruiser like you.

You have a great cruise on the Indy.

I still need to look into doing a travel blog like yours.

Like you, I don't want to go on the same ship again. I like to see new things and have new things to photograph. So even though I guess I'm a "veteran cruiser", every cruise is something new and different. Indy will be our first big ship (first Royal Promenade, first Flowrider) so I'm pretty excited.

If you decide to start a blog, both Blogspot and Wordpress are free and easy to set up. You can customize the templates as much or as little as you want. You should definitely think about it. Then you can share not just your cruises but all your travels.

That's an incredibly scenic part of the country. I haven't actually been down into Monument Valley, but I have skirted it on US 163. The five National Parks in Utah are amazing. My favorite is Arches, but they're all worth a visit. The Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed. Pictures cannot do justice to the scope and scale of the place.

If you're planning on going to a number of National Parks and Monuments, be sure and pick up an America The Beautiful Pass. It costs $80 and is good for an entire year at all National Park Service Units. You'll save money over separate Park admissions.

Great idea Jasperdo. I'll raise you one.....haha.

The Senior Pass for is your lifetime and is only $10.00. Thinking your inlaws? You must be 62 or older.

Hi Harry,

I haven't posted in a while but I have thoroughly enjoyed the review. This sequel certainly did not bomb as some do.

Sounds like you are going through what we went through this year having to change from the Freedom to the Allure after NY's. We have the same thing next year but unfortunately that 1 day shift in the calendar did not work out nearly as well next year. I have a 5 day Navigator leaving the 31'st booked although it is up there in price and I will probably cancel it. The other one I have booked is a 3 day Enchantment leaving on January 2 that we would combine with a few days at Universal beforehand. Not a lot of options and no 6 or 7 day cruises that aren't the pricy Holiday sailings.

Whatever you decide it will still be time away from work spent with your family.

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for the compliment. Sorry you couldn’t go on this cruise with us but then again your consolation prize is the Allure cruise so not like I feel too sad for you in missing the Freedom.

Yeah, we family guys always have to deal with restricted travel schedules based on our kids’ school schedule. The crazy premium the cruise line places on the actual holiday cruises prices out many families.

Yes, my motto is the worst day on vacation is always better than the nest day at work.

That's an incredibly scenic part of the country. I haven't actually been down into Monument Valley, but I have skirted it on US 163. The five National Parks in Utah are amazing. My favorite is Arches, but they're all worth a visit. The Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed. Pictures cannot do justice to the scope and scale of the place.

If you're planning on going to a number of National Parks and Monuments, be sure and pick up an America The Beautiful Pass. It costs $80 and is good for an entire year at all National Park Service Units. You'll save money over separate Park admissions.

Great idea Jasperdo. I'll raise you one.....haha.

The Senior Pass for is your lifetime and is only $10.00. Thinking your inlaws? You must be 62 or older.

Haha, are you folks playing poker in raising the stakes (or steaks from MDR)? If so, I have one more raise in terms of info on the senior price for the national parks.

Soon it will not be $10 anymore; it will jump from $10 to $80!!! You want to talk about huge % increase. So whoever wants to get one, better do it sooner than later as it’s scheduled t increase in price sometime this year.

http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2016/national-parks-lifetime-pass-cost-increase.html

That annual pass also gets you discounts on campsites at most parks as well as gets your family into the fort at San Jose.

-Sean

Good to know. Being cheap, I 'm hoping to piggy back with the in-laws on their life time pass which we will apply soon (like this weekend) before the price goes up from $10 to $80.

You have a great cruise in few weeks.

Haha, are you folks playing poker in raising the stakes (or steaks from MDR)? If so, I have one more raise in terms of info on the senior price for the national parks.

Soon it will not be $10 anymore; it will jump from $10 to $80!!! You want to talk about huge % increase. So whoever wants to get one, better do it sooner than later as it’s scheduled t increase in price sometime this year.

http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2016/national-parks-lifetime-pass-cost-increase.html

Wow, that is quite an increase. I am glad I got my lifetime pass a couple of years ago. Actually, I picked mine up at Marin Headlands. One of the benefits of the pass, is it can also be used for boat launch season pass discounts at COE lakes.

Great review Harry. Will be looking for your road trip review on Rock Critics later this year[emoji2]. Now everyone will be searching for that site.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yup, this is like popcorn and chips. I avoid them, because they are not very healthy. But your thread kept my mental balance healthy. [emoji1][emoji4]Although I sailed Freedom in 2011, I found great info for my TA.

I really hope you won't have a conflict with the kids school. That would be a bummer. And if Adventure is ever in the balance, do not hesitate. She is a great ship.

Yes, we'll sure see each other around CC. I may even be doing a live report for my TA. Very anxious and excited to sail.

Thanks again and see you around

Cindy

Wow, a live TA report. That's a major time and financial commitment to write one and have internet connection for the days of a TA. I will try to remember to check back in here in April to read it.

Have fun on the TA.

Hi Harry,

The sequel was as good as the first "edition", and I thoroughly enjoyed every post and every picture :). Many thanks.

Hopefully, I'll post some tips from my future cruise on Jewel out of SJ.

Since I'm living on a "barrel of gunpowder" -- we never know what's in store for us in the next minutes...:mad:

SHOOT! Here's hoping they don't make that change until after September...not saying how old I am ...or when my birthday...just saying......

Just looked at the nps.gov website. So far, the $10 passes are still being sold. I thought they were transferable to a surviving spouse, but not so. We bought ours at El Morro in San Juan, but it's in my husband's name. If you buy one by mail or online, there's a $10 document processing fee, for a total of $20.00.

Get yours before the fee is raised! We need to start visiting some more parks, especially those in Virginia/Maryland/DC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Harry,

The sequel was as good as the first "edition", and I thoroughly enjoyed every post and every picture :). Many thanks.

Hopefully, I'll post some tips from my future cruise on Jewel out of SJ.

Since I'm living on a "barrel of gunpowder" -- we never know what's in store for us in the next minutes...:mad:

Hi, Dani,

Thanks for following along both trip reports and providing words of encouragement throughout the process.

I envy how you have the energy and stamina to fly from the Middle East to Caribbean. I’m already frowning on my potential flight at year end.

Yes, please provide tips from your cruise. I’m sure other people will also benefit from the info.

You take care on all your travels.

Hi All,

New to CC. Q: does anybody have a foolproof way to bring "medicinal beverages" aboard so they don't get sequestered?

Mahalo,

Jeepman2k3

Hi,

Welcome to cruise critics.

I’m not the person that can answer your question on bringing extra beverages onboard. Perhaps you need to ask your question on the main Royal board.

SHOOT! Here's hoping they don't make that change until after September...not saying how old I am ...or when my birthday...just saying......

AARP states they are not sure exact date but will rise in price at the end of 2017.

Yeah, nobody knows for sure when the price increase will kick in. If possible, do it sooner than later.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/23/national-parks-lifetime-pass/

I will see my in-laws this weekend and I will have them send in their application next week to beat the clock. We will pay a total of $20 to buy online but that's better than buying $80 in person if they kick off the money increase by the summer time.

Just looked at the nps.gov website. So far, the $10 passes are still being sold. I thought they were transferable to a surviving spouse, but not so. We bought ours at El Morro in San Juan, but it's in my husband's name. If you buy one by mail or online, there's a $10 document processing fee, for a total of $20.00.

Get yours before the fee is raised! We need to start visiting some more parks, especially those in Virginia/Maryland/DC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Speaking of saving money - forgot to mention the other day of the Vegas show and food discount booths you will see along the strip. If you want to see shows or get discount prices for meals, check out what they offer on a daily basis. The line can get long in the morning, but thins out later in the afternoon:

http://www.tix4tonight.com/

thank you! Yes, I was one of your followers that read both reviews...couldn't help it you did an awesome job! Please pop back in and let us know what you will be doing on your "Rock Hunt" lol. Until then, wishing you and your family all the best!

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment & slogging through both trip reports.

I’m still trying to finalize the road trip itinerary. Not sure if going clockwise direction or counter clock is better in trying to maximize our viewing time. Things you never have to worry about on a cruise...

Harry, thank you again for your excellent report with all the detours and side stories. I enjoyed it tremendously and it has helped me through the darkest winter months when waiting for our April Freedom cruise and sunny Florida before that. You have also given me lots of new ideas, should we ever feel tired of cruising (not likely to happen in the near future, though).

I will keep checking your signature for more reports in the future.

Sincerely

Miryam

Hi Harry,

Thanks so much for your highly entertaining and very informative trip report! I enjoyed every post of it, including the side journeys and rocks. I'm looking forward to my first RCI cruise in just over 4 weeks and although I originally joined CC to research reviews on Radiance OTS, I'm very glad curiosity made me open your report. Cheers from Down Under!

Speaking of saving money - forgot to mention the other day of the Vegas show and food discount booths you will see along the strip. If you want to see shows or get discount prices for meals, check out what they offer on a daily basis. The line can get long in the morning, but thins out later in the afternoon:

http://www.tix4tonight.com/

Thanks!

Yeah, nobody knows for sure when the price increase will kick in. If possible, do it sooner than later.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/23/national-parks-lifetime-pass/

I will see my in-laws this weekend and I will have them send in their application next week to beat the clock. We will pay a total of $20 to buy online but that's better than buying $80 in person if they kick off the money increase by the summer time.

Many sporting goods stores such as Big 5 also sell the passes. That might be another option for you. You can save the $10 administration fee that way.

My wife already has a Senior Pass. She turned 62 before I did. So I didn't get another one for me when I turned 62. (I'm cheap too!) But now I'm thinking of getting one for me too, before the price increase.

Many sporting goods stores such as Big 5 also sell the passes. That might be another option for you. You can save the $10 administration fee that way.

My wife already has a Senior Pass. She turned 62 before I did. So I didn't get another one for me when I turned 62. (I'm cheap too!) But now I'm thinking of getting one for me too, before the price increase.

I would if I were you Jasperdo. We are lucky to live in a city that issues the passes at a historical site.

And as a quick FYI for you all, sometimes at historical venues the pass allows the holder to get others in their party the same discount.

Off the top of my head: Ft. Vancouver the holder and four people get in free. Key West, Truman's Little White House only the card holder gets a discount.

You never know what kind of discounts you will get at historical sites.

Maybe something to break up the looking at rocks Harry?

Great entertaining review with great pics . I always look forward to your reviews. We did the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan in Nov. on Adventure OTS. It was the smallest ship we have sailed on but we enjoyed it very much and the crew was the best of any ship we have been on. Looking forward to your next installment!