Gem out of NYC in Jan, what to pack?

ktbw3830

This is the cruise we do every year.

Pack just what you need for the time you'll be in NYC and the day you get on board. You wont need sweaters or sweatshirts or anything like that once you are on board and sailing away, you'll be inside most of the time and it's all climate controlled. What you have packed will be enough to go outside to watch going under the bridge and if you want to take a quick walk down the promenade just to say you did it in cold weather. Going out to the hot tubs on nights one and two you'll be in a bathing suit/robe/towel and just scurrying out the door and jumping in at night so don't worry about bundling up for that either.

In two day's you'll be down near Florida and it will be 80 degrees and everyone will be in shorts and happy.

1. Check the 5 days and extended 10+ days weather forecast 1 and 2 nights before leaving for NYC, packing accordingly & dress in layers, as you are flying home so appropriate winter "layers" are still needed, unless you are getting dropped off & picked up at your local airport @ home (MSP ??) but you will still need something for NY ... our winter isn't like yours but still around freezing ahead. From NY's airport to hotel to terminal, you will be outside and temp's in the 30's & lower in the morning & evening hours.

2. Onboard, unless you go outdoors on first & last sea days, can put away the winter gears ... and if you travel & pack like us, just one change of clothing should do in an expandable 22" roller, checked or not. Our down vest, rolled up - serve as pillow when flying red-eye with a small flannel case. Eddie Bauer or LL Bean 3-season parka/jacket w. zip-out fleece or jacket liner that can be worn alone are perfect..

3. It's often warm enough by afternoon of Day 2 to be sitting outside with a light jacket, folks in the heated pool or hot tub already as noted. Shorts & sandals along with short-sleeves for tropical, and, don't forget to pack SPF-30 plus sun protection as they are very pricey onboard in the gift shop (split them up in 3-1-1 sized 100 ml. travel bottles if not checking bags at the airport).

Definately pack your winter coat! The first day and a half and the last day and a half it will be winter.....Real winter. That's 3 days of your cruise. I will never cruise out of NYC again because when I think of cruising, I don't want winter. Sure it's more expensive to fly to florida and a hassle, but it isn't 3 days of winter on my hard earned vacation

Edited by Vyhanek

Excellent tips. I think we'll be able to get away with long pants, and a couple of layers on top. I think I'll also pack gloves and a hat since they don't take up too much room. We are definitely used to the cold here in MN, so I think I'll leave the winter coats home.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Hi,

we have sailed many times from NYC and from Port Liberty.

We have been on our balconies in long sleeves for a Christmas week cruise. We have had snow in November.

Remember the interior of the ship is climate controlled. The only time you would need "heavy" clothes is if you planned on staying on deck but since the ship plans almost everything inside for the first sea day....you can wear lightweight clothes with a shawl or light jacket. We do not have to fly but even driving we generally layer for the trip from the parking lot to the ship and vice versa. Heated car seats are wonderful!!!

I always bring a shawl because I am always cool inside the ship especially at supper.

Think layers! Think, bingo, bars and betting for the first sea day.

Why skip the winter coats? You can just shove them in your luggage once you are on board and they can stay there until you return to NYC, where, presumably, you will need/want them. As for other clothing, the first and last couple days will be in colder weather and something slightly warm would be advisable. And even in the Caribbean it might get a little chilly on deck at night when the ship is underway, and the air conditioning may be too much at times. You don't have to go overboard (no pun meant); I find a light fleece jacket or something similar to be perfect. I need lots of pockets so I usually wear a jacket to dinner and this takes care of the above.

Cruises out of NYC do tend to be a little dressier so something sparkly would be appropriate.

On the cold days most people roam the ship in sweats -- nice matching leisure outfits -- not sweaty gym clothes but sweats nonetheless.

We're sailing in a little over a week on the Gem out of NYC. We're flying in from MN, so we really don't want to travel with our large winter coats. Any suggestions on what to pack?

You do realize its winter in NYC right? It could be in the 40's which is short sleeve weather for anyone from MN:D It could also be in the 20's, I would (wear) your winter clothes, including bring a hat and gloves.

Hopefully, OP has flown in yesterday or even day before - NWS just revised its snow forecast today from 3" to 6" to a Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow of 4" to 8" until 11 PM tonight ... not close to a blizzard. Mid-Atlantic states & even cities further south had been snowing.

All 3 airports experiencing arrival delays of 1 to 2 hours, visibility is poor with strong wind gust. Temperature is 22 degree C but real feel - just a cool 8 degree. Looks like there are a good # of flight cancellations as well as aircraft being diverted to other airports, not good ... recovery & getting rebooked could be a problem. Hopefully, those sailing the GEM tomorrow won't have too much problems and also have travel insurance, etc.

Roads are slippery, even on AWD - getting my toasty Mad Bomber hat for the outdoors to work the snow shovel, might need to get the snow blower out. Definitely need more than just a down vest & winter fleece as layers to walk outside.

Edited by mking8288

And next week starting Wednesday, the long range forecast calls for daytime temps at or near 50, with showers expected during the Jan 15 sailaway. Evenings has low 40's forecast.

It'll be anyone's guess what the temp will be when we return to NYC on Jan. 29.