St. John "On Your Own" Tour

tinkerbell1984

I have been researching the forms about going to Trunk Bay. We have been to St. Thomas many times and would like to venture out this time. It will just be me and my two kids, so doing it on my own will be a little stressful. I had read for just a little extra we can do the ships "On Your Own" tour and catch the ferry at the ship....

Does Carnival not/no longer offer this tour? We will be on the Fascination in February and there is no St. John "On Your Own" tour listed as an excursion. There is only a Trunk Bay excursion with an hr at the beach for $80 pp, which is a bit much for just a ride over!

We to have been to St. Thomas many times but have never seen an on your own tour of St. John, but it sounds like a good idea. The only other way is doing it on your own, but as you said its too stressful. Im adventurous and would go on my own but my wifes not, so we always do cruise ship tours. Trunk Bay is our favorite beach.

I did the "St John on your own" a few weeks ago but it was from Celebrity. I will use the ferry next time.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, even with 2 kids. You didn't mention their ages but if they are too young to handle their own bags or are in a stroller you probably don't want to go to St John anyway.

Catch a cab to Red Hook - very simple, you will not be alone. Catch the next ferry, it will drop you off where the ships excursion would have. Catch a cab to Trunk Bay. They are all right there ready to go.

Just reverse on the way back and catch an early enough ferry to get you back. The 3 pm ferry seems to be popular. When you get to St Thomas there will be cabs waiting to take you back to the pier.

You should be fine and will not be alone as many others will be doing the same thing.

I did the "St John on your own" a few weeks ago but it was from Celebrity. I will use the ferry next time.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, even with 2 kids. You didn't mention their ages but if they are too young to handle their own bags or are in a stroller you probably don't want to go to St John anyway.

Catch a cab to Red Hook - very simple, you will not be alone. Catch the next ferry, it will drop you off where the ships excursion would have. Catch a cab to Trunk Bay. They are all right there ready to go.

Just reverse on the way back and catch an early enough ferry to get you back. The 3 pm ferry seems to be popular. When you get to St Thomas there will be cabs waiting to take you back to the pier.

You should be fine and will not be alone as many others will be doing the same thing.

What would the taxi costs be from pier to red hook then from St John to trunk bay round trip and travel time needed to get there and back

thank you

• 1 month later...
Taxi to Red Hook - $10 per person x 2

Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay on St. John $6 pp one way. X 2

Taxi Cruz Bay on St. John - Cruz Bay on St. John x 2

Trunk Bay have a $4 admission cost.

Total Cost = $50

Do the cabs charge the same for kids? Take cc?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Most taxis don't take credit cards and most charge for kids if they're not toddlers sitting on your lap.

I walk down the street to Kmart---and get the local bus for 2 bucks!! Takes you right to Ferry--- Riding with the locals is cheaper and much more fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

Duanerice - the tour with Celebrity - was it not a ferry that picked you up at ship and took you right to St. John??

How much time at the beach did you have with Celebrity?

I walk down the street to Kmart---and get the local bus for 2 bucks!! Takes you right to Ferry--- Riding with the locals is cheaper and much more fun :)

Which dock is the Kmart just down the street to??

• 2 months later...

I'm also looking for more information on the RCL/Celebrity version of this excursion. I have done St. John on my own using the ferry system. Yes, it's doable, but not exactly cheap once you pay for the taxi to and from Red Hook and the cost of the ferry. The RCL/Celebrity excursion is only $29! It eliminates the stress associated with getting back to the ship on time. Frequent visitors to St. Thomas know that traffic can be an issue sometimes. You either take a huge risk, or travel back on a ferry leaving earlier than necessary "just in case". The ship excursion sounded like a good compromise, except I understand it doesn't depart until 10AM. I hate that part. Why not 9AM? People would get another HOUR on St. John. Other than that, it sounds good, but would LOVE to hear from someone who actually experienced it. How long is the boat ride? Does it leave from right near the ship, or is there wasted time GETTING to the boat first? How much time do you actually have on St. John? What time does the ship leave St. John to return to the ship. All info welcome! If people with experience advise against it, I still have time to change plans and use the ferry. Thanks!

I'm also looking for more information on the RCL/Celebrity version of this excursion. I have done St. John on my own using the ferry system. Yes, it's doable, but not exactly cheap once you pay for the taxi to and from Red Hook and the cost of the ferry. The RCL/Celebrity excursion is only $29! It eliminates the stress associated with getting back to the ship on time. Frequent visitors to St. Thomas know that traffic can be an issue sometimes. You either take a huge risk, or travel back on a ferry leaving earlier than necessary "just in case". The ship excursion sounded like a good compromise, except I understand it doesn't depart until 10AM. I hate that part. Why not 9AM? People would get another HOUR on St. John. Other than that, it sounds good, but would LOVE to hear from someone who actually experienced it. How long is the boat ride? Does it leave from right near the ship, or is there wasted time GETTING to the boat first? How much time do you actually have on St. John? What time does the ship leave St. John to return to the ship. All info welcome! If people with experience advise against it, I still have time to change plans and use the ferry. Thanks!

is there anyone who can answer this as i am very interested, in finding out before making a booking?

We ended up doing the "Ultimate Island and National Parks beaches" tour in March of this year from Celebrity. However, we were on the same shuttle boat to St John as the "On Your Own" excursion. I also don't understand why it didn't leave earlier, that said, we did have a decent amount of time on St John, I'd estimate around 5 hrs. I think we had to be back at the shuttle boat at 4 pm or so, with our ship leaving at 5. I think the ride was between islands was approx 30 mins. The location of where you get on the shuttle boat was EXTREMELY close to the ship, like literally a 2 minute walk tops. It was very convenient. We are planning on going back to St John next March and will likely do the "On Your Own" excursion next time.

We ended up doing the "Ultimate Island and National Parks beaches" tour in March of this year from Celebrity. However, we were on the same shuttle boat to St John as the "On Your Own" excursion. I also don't understand why it didn't leave earlier, that said, we did have a decent amount of time on St John, I'd estimate around 5 hrs. I think we had to be back at the shuttle boat at 4 pm or so, with our ship leaving at 5. I think the ride was between islands was approx 30 mins. The location of where you get on the shuttle boat was EXTREMELY close to the ship, like literally a 2 minute walk tops. It was very convenient. We are planning on going back to St John next March and will likely do the "On Your Own" excursion next time.

Thanks chechya

do you or anybody know where the shuttle boat drops you off once you get to St johns? how much/how far/how long - is it to get to trunk bay or cinnamon beach?

thanks

Thanks chechya

do you or anybody know where the shuttle boat drops you off once you get to St johns? how much/how far/how long - is it to get to trunk bay or cinnamon beach?

thanks

It drops you off at Cruz Bay and it takes about 30 minutes to get to Trunk Bay (via taxi).

Edited by fridaythe13th

Chechya:

HUGELY helpful information! Definitely sticking with the ship tour, rather than doing it myself with the Red Hook Ferry. I know the ferry route is possible - I've done it before - but I don't see any benefit.

For others who are comparing:

The "St John On Your Own" tour cost $29.00 per person. I estimate doing it ourselves using the ferry would come to about $34 per person, not including tips for the taxi driver. ($20 each way for the taxi to Red Hook, $14/per person for RT ferry trip.) The ship's version is less costly and easier.

My concern was TIME. The ship tour doesn't leave until 10AM. However, based on Chechya's rough timeline, we'll get about the same amount of time on St. John as if we took the ferry. Again, for those like me doing a comparison:

Our ship docks at 8AM. We'd need to disembark immediately and grab a taxi for Red Hook. The ride is about 30 minutes, so we'd end up on the 9AM ferry. We'd get to St. John around 9:20AM. We could technically take the 3PM ferry back to St. Thomas, getting us there around 3:30, but that is cutting it a little close to make the 4:30 all-aboard. A problem with the ferry or a traffic delay on St. Thomas could cause us to be late. Therefore, we'd likely opt for the 2PM return ferry. We'd be on St. John approximately 4.5 hours.

Using the ship's transportation, we depart St. Thomas at 10AM and arrive in St. John at 10:30. Chechya indicated the return ferry departed St. John around 4PM, getting passengers back to the ship just in time to board at 4:30. That puts us on St. John for about 5 hours. Even if Chechya's recollection of the times is a bit off, it looks like we get roughly the same amount of time on St. John, for less cost and less hassle than doing it ourselves.

It's a win-win!!! Thank you Chechya!!!

Chechya:

HUGELY helpful information! Definitely sticking with the ship tour, rather than doing it myself with the Red Hook Ferry. I know the ferry route is possible - I've done it before - but I don't see any benefit.

For others who are comparing:

The "St John On Your Own" tour cost $29.00 per person. I estimate doing it ourselves using the ferry would come to about $34 per person, not including tips for the taxi driver. ($20 each way for the taxi to Red Hook, $14/per person for RT ferry trip.) The ship's version is less costly and easier.

My concern was TIME. The ship tour doesn't leave until 10AM. However, based on Chechya's rough timeline, we'll get about the same amount of time on St. John as if we took the ferry. Again, for those like me doing a comparison:

Our ship docks at 8AM. We'd need to disembark immediately and grab a taxi for Red Hook. The ride is about 30 minutes, so we'd end up on the 9AM ferry. We'd get to St. John around 9:20AM. We could technically take the 3PM ferry back to St. Thomas, getting us there around 3:30, but that is cutting it a little close to make the 4:30 all-aboard. A problem with the ferry or a traffic delay on St. Thomas could cause us to be late. Therefore, we'd likely opt for the 2PM return ferry. We'd be on St. John approximately 4.5 hours.

Using the ship's transportation, we depart St. Thomas at 10AM and arrive in St. John at 10:30. Chechya indicated the return ferry departed St. John around 4PM, getting passengers back to the ship just in time to board at 4:30. That puts us on St. John for about 5 hours. Even if Chechya's recollection of the times is a bit off, it looks like we get roughly the same amount of time on St. John, for less cost and less hassle than doing it ourselves.

It's a win-win!!! Thank you Chechya!!!

You're very welcome. Please note, my times were estimates as I didn't keep exact track. We had also considered going it alone with the Red Hook ferry (this was the first cruise ship excursion I've ever taken) but were happy we did this one. There are no "what if's" with traffic (except on St John I guess, but I find that situation to be less likely). You know you have a seat on the shuttle boat, unlike the situation on the public ferry as far as I understand. The pick up and drop off to/from the ship was so close it was ridiculous. We even had about 15-20 mins to look around at the little kiosks at Crown Bay dock before getting back on the ship, so the trip very well could've been less than 30 mins, I honestly don't remember as we had a phone mishap while on St John (they got wet, iPhones ruined and ALL trip photos lost on my husband's phone) so we were a bit preoccupied on the return. However, I think it's even worth it just for the sake of not having to worry about traffic, which ferry to catch (will you get a seat? etc). I'm looking at it again for next March and it looks like the price for us would be $39, but I still think we'd do it for ease since Celebrity docks at the further from town Crown Bay (vs closer to town Havensight).

I hope the excursion goes well for you and that my estimates were fairly close - would love to get an update upon your return, Printingchick!

Or it could be that we had to leave St John around 330, rather than 4.... I just consulted the VI now dot com site (great site, btw) and it says that the public ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie to St John is approx 35 mins.

Or it could be that we had to leave St John around 330, rather than 4.... I just consulted the VI now dot com site (great site, btw) and it says that the public ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie to St John is approx 35 mins.

Awesome info!! But if you take the cruise excursion to St johns do they drop you right at Trunk Bay or do you have to pay for another taxi ride? Also is there an entrance fee for Trunk Bay or is included in the excursion fee?

Awesome info!! But if you take the cruise excursion to St johns do they drop you right at Trunk Bay or do you have to pay for another taxi ride? Also is there an entrance fee for Trunk Bay or is included in the excursion fee?

Perhaps someone who has taken this excursion more recent than me can confirm. The ride to Trunk Bay and the admission fee were included in the excursion fee. This was a few years ago, things may have changed.

Perhaps someone who has taken this excursion more recent than me can confirm. The ride to Trunk Bay and the admission fee were included in the excursion fee. This was a few years ago, things may have changed.

Ok thanks! Crossing my fingers that its included!

If someone went in this recently please let me know