Massage on Celebrity Reflections, is it worth the $?

debvm

Hello, I am a massage therapist, so I am kind of a massage snob.[emoji3] I'm thinking of getting one. Have you had a massage on the Celebrity Reflection? What did you pay, did you get a discount for scheduling it later in the cruise? and did you think it was worth it? What other amenities come with getting a massage? Any opinions would be welcome.[emoji1328]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a massage on the reflection and it was good. Mid cruise there was a day where the massage therapists gave short chair massages in one of the public rooms so I booked with the therapist I had because she was good. There was also a discount for booking that made the price acceptable, the normal prices are too high for me.

I have booked a massage or a body scrub and massage, and even with a discount or port day deal, it is much higher than on land. It was very enjoyable, but now I just go to my local spa and have a treatment the day or 2 before I cruise, and then another when I get home, price is the same as getting only one treatment on board. I have never found the massages at Canyon Ranch or the former Elemis spas to be any better than any spa at home; very nice, but no giant wow, especially for the money. Also, my spa at home doesn't try to sell me hundreds of dollars of things at the end of my treatment....

If you are AQ, the benefit is daily use of the Persian Gardens, which I love, but I have never been offered a discount because I was in Aqua Class, and I have sailed AQ 4 times.

The spa prices are pretty high in general, but they do run specials during the week and prices are cheaper on port days (from 8 to 1 pm I believe). They also had some early morning discounts. We were just on Summit and they had some first day specials- we booked a massage for a couple hours after we got on board and it was a great way to start off the vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A massage therapist at home (UK) told me that she worked on cruise ships years before and that the big cruise companies retrain any beauty or massage therapist before they are let loose on passangers, irrespective of their previous training and qualifications. She explained that they maintain the highest standards, so anyone who has worked on a major cruise line will be very good. Despite this, I balked at the prices on board and believed I would never pay for one on a ship. That was until I experienced one of the free chair shoulder massages mentioned by Sanger. After that, all resistance was futile. Since then, I treat myself to several massages on every cruise. I figure I only live once, I don't smoke and drink very, very little. Due to how expensive they are, I have given up completely having massages at home. They are now my holiday guilty secret :o

After several try's on multiple cruise lines, I have never found the spa or massage to be as relaxing or effective as the spa at home. IMHO, just not worth the $ unless you have lots of OBC to spend and nothing else to do.

Edited by 81Zoomie

I to am qualified in massage. Typically in the U.K. I can get a v. Good massage (1hr) for £45 (55$) so the onboard price of about 150$ plus grats is rediculously high.

Last cruise got a taster massage and booked a 1hr deep tissue massage for about 110$ (including grats) still expensive, great massage but hated the hard sell at the end! ( muscle relaxing stuff)

My suggestion is to wait until you get into port and get a massage on the beach. Almost every beach has someone that offers massages. A lot cheaper than the cruise lines although they might not be as well trained. Plus you'll be on the beach :)

I am also a LMT with my own spa but I know I just wouldn't be able to relax for many reasons in the ships spa so I have a ton of treatments incl massage a couple of days before I go and then another massage when I get back.

You could tell them you are in the field, don't need any up sell and need to relax and see what transpires, just be prepared for the hefty bill at the end!:D.

I watched a massage on the beach when we were in St Kitts recently and it was so poor and the therapist was talking to everyone walking by trying to drum up next customer. The massage itself was lazy and more like rubbing sun oil in, well actually she had an aloe leaf so was just slopping the gloop on and rubbing it in against actual massage.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Yes, I agree they are overpriced when compared to a specialty massage in your home town. Consider the ship as a ' resort' and you are on vacation- sometimes a splurge on pampering is worth it. I rarely do.

BUT , I did indulge on the Reflection and it was the BEST massage I had ever had.

On the last sea day of a 10 day cruise, a neck massage sampler station was set up outside the Oceanview Cafe. It was maybe 3:00 in the afternoon. They were offering a special price if you booked by a certain time that day. The massage therapist was a small dark haired beauty that spoke accented English. She had gentle, intuitive and powerful hands. Excellent neck massage. So I booked. She delivered - the massage was great. I have a 'knot' in my left shoulder region that takes kneeding to relax and most can't even feel it. She got it and more.

It is smart marketing to have these test stations so you can know in advance the massage will be more along the lines of what you like, to see if it is worth the splurge!

Sent from my iPad using Forums