Princess Excursion in Cartagena?

cruiseapril

While in the Cartagena cruise terminal, there were quite a few Blue and Gold Macaws sitting on the fence. I being a former B&G owner and trainer stuck my hand up to one and he hopped on. I quickly became somewhat of a spokes-mouth on how to handle these birds as next thing you know I'm answering questions to a group of people. A terminal staff person came out to make sure I knew the risks:eek: of these powerful animals.

Also for those going to Cartagena, be aware the Cuban cigars sold by vendors in the old city are all fakes. As told by my cab driver.

Edited by MTJSR

We took Princess's excursion to the mud volcano when we went to Cartagena. The bus had an armed national guard soldier accompanying us. The group had time at the base of the fort in Cartagena for photos on the way to the mud volcano and at the old city for shopping afterwards. It was an excellent excursion. Here's a video someone else posted on YouTube:

Thanks for the great information. I just booked with DORA for our cruise at the end of March. This will be the first time I have booked a private tour instead of booking through Princess.

Hope it goes well for you. We also have Dora booked for our April cruise, based on several recommendations from other CC cruisers.

...VTX-Al

While in the Cartagena cruise terminal, there were quite a few Blue and Gold Macaws sitting on the fence. I being a former B&G owner and trainer stuck my hand up to one and he hopped on. I quickly became somewhat of a spokes-mouth on how to handle these birds as next thing you know I'm answering questions to a group of people. A terminal staff person came out to make sure I knew the risks:eek: of these powerful animals.

Also for those going to Cartagena, be aware the Cuban cigars sold by vendors in the old city are all fakes. As told by my cab driver.

There were about a zillion vendors. All were selling "genuine" Cuban cigars, Ray Ban sunglasses, "brand name" watches, etc. I just figured everything they had was a knock off. Otherwise there wouldn't be a zillion of them selling the things. I love it when a woman in a jewelry place showed my wife an emerald ring. (Ugliest looking stone I've ever seen.) She looked at the price on the bottom and said it was $900 "but for you, only $600". Riiiiiiiight. What a "special deal" just for my wife.

However you tour Cartagena (and yes, it's easy and fun just to explore on your own), be aware that's it's going to be hot there. Really hot. Really, really hot.

Also hot. If they offer water when you leave the ship, take some with you.

Another vote for Dora - several people at Meet & Greet asked if they could join our group. I emailed Dora from the ship and everything worked out fine. Recommended to other cruisers and they were happy too.

We loved Dora, and she did an amazing job - even my 2 year old son had a wonderful time exploring the beautiful city of Cartagena. I would recommend considering booking a private tour for just your family in Cartagena. It truly is a beautiful destination, and if your cruise is like mine you will have an extremely short day in port, and won't want to waste your limited time seeing anything you don't love. It is also quite warm and humid, so you will have fairly limited energy.

4 years ago, Dora's regular tours went to both the old city and new city and did not actually stop at the fort (all of this may have changed since our Panama Canal cruise was 4 years ago). Our private tour skipped the new city portion, and instead we had a wonderful meal at the Club de Pesca. The mariscos a la Cartagenera was outstanding, and this dish lets you to try ceviche, shrimp cocktail, king prawn, coconut rice and green plantains so you will get a great introduction to a variety of Colombian food. The setting is beautiful, right on the water and with a gorgeous view. Please note that the service was quite leisurely, which you may want if you have hit your limit in terms of touring and are looking for a nice relaxing meal or you might prefer to find a faster restaurant and spend more time touring.

Edited by kitkat343