Should I transfer my booking to TA?

tarps

I booked our Jan 8/17 cruise at the end of November, 2016 directly through Celebrity. Can I still transfer the booking to my TA at this point? .....and should I? What is the advantage if any?

If so, how do I make the transfer?

You can transfer a booking up to 60 days after making the booking. As far as should you, that is up to you. I prefer to transfer it to a TA that adds perks and discounts the price. A good TA will do both and take care of the paperwork for the transfer.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

You can transfer a booking up to 60 days after making the booking. As far as should you, that is up to you. I prefer to transfer it to a TA that adds perks and discounts the price. A good TA will do both and take care of the paperwork for the transfer.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Ditto on above, especially if you have a great TA. Always find out their cancellation process, along with added perks etc. Also, the availability of your TA and company hours in case you want to change cabins, ask questions or anything else. Just do your own homework, so there are no surprises!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I just don't know if my TA will add OBC or anything. I guess I will do it and if he doesn't, then I will search for a new TA for next time.

Not sure of the search process to find one who gives added perks or discounts.

Not sure how many days you have to transfer, 60 maybe? Go to Celebrity's site and it will tell you and will also show you how to transfer.

We never used to transfer, always wanted "control" over my reservation. But we finally realized we were giving up $250 - $350 per cruise in TA OBC. So the last 4 cruises we transferred to a TA.

enjoy

Thank you. I just don't know if my TA will add OBC or anything. I guess I will do it and if he doesn't, then I will search for a new TA for next time.

Not sure of the search process to find one who gives added perks or discounts.

That is a question to ask a potential TA before, rather than afterwards. In general the large, online agencies are more likely to discount or add perks compared to small or brick & mortar TA's (since they have such a large volume of business the can afford much smaller profit margins). Brick & mortar TA's often (but not always) provide better service. Some of the large, online TA's that give perks advertise on Cruise Critic, so that can be a starting point for your research. Google is a good resource too. Be careful because some agencies charge cancel fees, so do research. Also a disadvantage is you can't just call Celebrity if you see a price drop or better cabin open up, but have to do this through the TA if you transfer the booking, and might miss out if you can't reach them in time. For that reason I often keep the booking with Celebrity and forgo TA perks.

That is a question to ask a potential TA before, rather than afterwards. In general the large, online agencies are more likely to discount or add perks compared to small or brick & mortar TA's (since they have such a large volume of business the can afford much smaller profit margins). Brick & mortar TA's often (but not always) provide better service. Some of the large, online TA's that give perks advertise on Cruise Critic, so that can be a starting point for your research. Google is a good resource too. Be careful because some agencies charge cancel fees, so do research. Also a disadvantage is you can't just call Celebrity if you see a price drop or better cabin open up, but have to do this through the TA if you transfer the booking, and might miss out if you can't reach them in time. For that reason I often keep the booking with Celebrity and forgo TA perks.

You forgo several hundred dollars in percs just for the possibility you MIGHT miss out on a lower price that occurs after normal business hours? I'll take the free money over a maybe any day of the week

Within 60 days. Yes, I'd call around. The one we use has the same initials as this web site. It's a big online one. We get lots and lots of extra OBC. It's a no brainer and we felt like kicking ourselves for the first cruises we took where we didn't take advantage of the free money.

You forgo several hundred dollars in percs just for the possibility you MIGHT miss out on a lower price that occurs after normal business hours? I'll take the free money over a maybe any day of the week

Definitely risks either way you go. Last time I used a TA there was a massive price drop I noticed on a Sunday; their office was closed. Called them first thing Monday but the fare was no longer available. Missed out on nearly $1,500 - since my savings when using TA's has averaged about $350 that was a big miss. Was very happy last cruise to not have a TA; had a Sky Suite booked and noticed a Royal Suite guarantee come available for not a crazy amount more than I had paid. There were no Royal Suites left and it was passed final payment. Quick call to Celebrity got me the upgrade and within about ten minutes was assigned the Penthouse. If I'd used a TA I may have missed out on this upgrade. As soon as I booked it, the Royal GTY disappeared, so there was only one being offered, i.e. time was of the essence. Sure I've missed out on some perks, but for me it is less stressful being in control of my reso and knowing I can make instantly secure price drops and room changes.

From their FAQ:

Q. Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Celebrity Cruises?

A. Bookings may only be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a travel agent, please complete this form.