Harvest Caye, Belize - yay or nay?

rethier

I hear Norwegian has its own private island in Belize that just recently opened up. Is it all that is cracked up to be? Seems to be exactly the same things that are available on the cruise ship (which if free because we got the dinning and drink package)

I'm looking for a snorkeling excursion but doesn't have any listed on the NCL website. Is this because of the location being isolated? Are other excursions hard to get to?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sailing on the escape may 13th, 2017 to Honduras, Belize and Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear Norwegian has its own private island in Belize that just recently opened up. Is it all that is cracked up to be? Seems to be exactly the same things that are available on the cruise ship (which if free because we got the dinning and drink package)

I'm looking for a snorkeling excursion but doesn't have any listed on the NCL website. Is this because of the location being isolated? Are other excursions hard to get to?

Perhaps you can snorkel in Honduras or Mexico.

Harvest Caye is an absolutely gorgeous island. You can have a beach day at no extra cost (unless you decide to buy food/drinks on the island). The zip lining might be interesting as one group of lines is over water. Another line allows you to layout in the Superman position as you zip, that might be worth trying.

Edited by Nola26

We were on the very first cruise to stop there. I was the first person off of the ship. It was great.

The pool is nice, a little on the chilly side. Lots of recliners and chairs around the pool. The poolside cabanas were nice but really unnecessary.

The beach are was really nice. TONS of recliners and umbrellas (free) and you can rent a two person clam shell for $30. Your entire group can use it but there are only two recliners in each shell.

The beach cabanas looked really nice but they were WAY away from most everything on the far end of the island.

The food was OK. Not bad just not what I would call great. IMHO it was slightly overpriced.

Lots of water activities available for rent (stand up paddle boards, two man kayaks, power boats, etc.

I'd give it an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

Just to be clear, Harvest Caye is not a private island. It's a section of a Belize island that NCL has contracted with; so food and drink is not included.

My family is on this same sailing, we going to look into booking a clam shell and relaxing on the beach...our teen boys are looking forward to either the zip lines or stand up paddle boarding! Disappointed that the drink package isn't good off the ship, so we may return to the ship early for lunch and drinks!

We were there in early December. The island is beautiful, with everything new and fresh; if you just want a beach/pool day it's fine. If you want to see anything of Belize, not so great.

There's really not much to do there without spending extra money, and the tours (which can only be done through NCL) just aren't that appealing and are expensive, like most ship tours. A lot of kids seemed to enjoy the small water park and the zip line looked like fun. We didn't shop there, so can't comment. It was very hot and at least they did have water stations set up at a couple of places.

I'm not a big fan of private islands anyway, and this one with no included food or drink was kind of a disappointment to us. Also, got stung by a jellyfish while swimming! But of course that could happen anywhere.

My family is on this same sailing, we going to look into booking a clam shell and relaxing on the beach...our teen boys are looking forward to either the zip lines or stand up paddle boarding! Disappointed that the drink package isn't good off the ship, so we may return to the ship early for lunch and drinks!

You won't need to end you Belize day early. Just head back, eat, shower, whatever and head back out. It is an easy walk and on and off to the island.

I was on for a boat excursion. We got soaked so I went back, changed, relaxed, had lunch and headed back to the island. Unfortunately the rain started again so I turned back, but I would have had another hour or more to enjoy the island on my return.

With the Getaway docking 7am-3pm, Harvest Caye will be the one morning I will not have to get up early because we are making no specific plan. It's hard for us to enjoy the ship nightlife when we have an early excursion/tour planned for the next morning (and we do at the other 3 ports). At Harvest Caye, we will get up whenever we do, walk on the beach swim in the pool for a while, get our dose of sunshine, and head back to ship where the food and drinks are included!

Edited by SeaWatcher65

With the Getaway docking 7am-3pm, Harvest Caye will be the one morning I will not have to get up early because we are making no specific plan. It's hard for us to enjoy the ship nightlife when we have an early excursion/tour planned for the next morning (and we do at the other 3 ports). At Harvest Caye, we will get up whenever we do, walk on the beach swim in the pool for a while, get our dose of sunshine, and head back to ship where the food and drinks are included!

When is your cruise scheduled? We are on the Getaway and our port time is different -- I'm assuming that yours is one of the sailings that changed the order of the itinerary.

We are also on the same sailing on the Escape May 13th. For Harvest Caye we are going to enjoy the beach and do the Flight House Adrenaline Package (zip lining). We also are going to snorkel but doing that at Roatan Bay and doing the Jolly Roger Catamaran excursion. Hope to meet you onboard.