Inside vs balcony on the jewel advice

cervezadrinker

I've stayed in both. Some people hate insides, I don't mind them. Gets down to the price. For me the cutoff is approx. $500. If I can get the balcony for within $500 (cabin price, not pp) of the inside I'll do the balcony. But you also have to balance out the perks. For the $360 are you getting an extra free perk or is that taking the extra perk into account? Also, it depends on how tight your budget is, if the extra cost is going to limit your excursions or spending money on the trip, I would say no. To me, an inside is just fine; a balcony certainly is larger with the couch and feels larger when you can see outside; but neither is a deal breaker for me. If you like to sleep in, an inside is great because you don't have the light coming in in the morning.

sanger727 pretty much laid it all out. If you use your cabin for sleep and shower, insides (especially on jewel class and other older ships because cabins are larger than newer ships) --even on longer cruises (+7 days), AND, the price is quite a bit lower, go for it. My only caution would be regarding insides with two adults: try for a cabin without a pullman or have the beds separated. That hunk of Pullman is a pain to maneuver around.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
We are going to Alaska in mid September. Is there enough of a benefit to a balcony to justify the extra cost? I can't imagine sitting outside but then again, some people may want to do just this and wear winter jackets

For us, yes....assuming a reasonable price difference. Even if you cant sit out, you will still have the big sliding door through which to see all the passing scenery. And you will still have opportunity to bundle up and stand out or even sit out occasionally to look at a "wow" that is just going past. Just too much to see, including in port, to not have that balcony. My opinion.

We always did balconies when on our 14 night cruises. For our last cruise which was 7 days we did an ocean view and it was fine. Next 7 day cruise we booked an inside. For our 14 night cruise booked for fall of 2018 we booked a larger balcony cabin. I need a balcony if we are going to be living on the ship for 2 weeks but an inside is fine for me for a week.