People that have MORE than 2 kids...not everyone got snipped after 2!

Mandylouwho

Let me 'splain Lucy.

So you see, all I am asking for is more options. Why can't I have a budget inside family room? WHY? Im not asking for vast amounts of space. I get staterooms are small, it's a part of the experience and all that. All I am asking for is a place to fit my kids without having maybe 2 other options before I hock grandmas candlesticks.

I hope that helps 'splain.

It's quite clear: your family and its budget doesn't fit with the construct of cruise ships to provide affordable accommodation for all to fit in one cabin.

You knew this before you popped out another one and now want to appeal to the industry to revamp its cabins to suit your situation providing you with "more options" at a price you can afford.

Seems pretty clear to me without further explanation.

It's not NCL, but when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise we booked a family oceanview room (and a balcony).

The oceanview room was great; very large, huge windows, a tiny bunk room, which the kids loved, a queen-sized bed that could be curtained off for privacy and a large sofa bed.

The one down side was only one bathroom. We had planned on grandpa and the 3 boys being in the balcony, me and the 4 girls in the family room. Due to one boy getting stomach flu, the other two boys were in the family oceanview part of the cruise. This was on the Navigator of the Seas.

The room is plenty big enough for 6, and since the 4 girls insisted on all sleeping together in the bunk room!!! (ages 6-11) that left the sofa bed for the boys.

Also, we got a very good deal on the room.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine?

Thanks for the tip. I bet you solve problems for a living.

I've found that most of life is about solving problems, so I have 60 years of it. I have also found that sometimes the answer is no when I try to make the world shoe horn around my individual wants. My Dad wants to cruise solo but most ships don't have single accommodations. He hates the idea of paying "extra" via a single supplement. All I can offer him in the way of advice is - "sorry, that's the way it is".

I too have cruised with 3 kids (blended family). I could have booked a large suite which I really couldn't afford - or two adjoining cabins which I did afford. I invited my Mother to cruise with us so she was in cabin one with two of the boys and my wife and I were in the other with the remaining son. She paid for her own fare. It worked fine.

There were others here with the same initial post as me - thanks for singling me out.

I've found that most of life is about solving problems, so I have 60 years of it. I have also found that sometimes the answer is no when I try to make the world shoe horn around my individual wants. My Dad wants to cruise solo but most ships don't have single accommodations. He hates the idea of paying "extra" via a single supplement. All I can offer him in the way of advice is - "sorry, that's the way it is".

I too have cruised with 3 kids (blended family). I could have booked a large suite which I really couldn't afford - or two adjoining cabins which I did afford. I invited my Mother to cruise with us so she was in cabin one with two of the boys and my wife and I were in the other with the remaining son. She paid for her own fare. It worked fine.

There were others here with the same initial post as me - thanks for singling me out.

Feel special I picked you! For the record I always felt bad for my singles bookings too. They always felt like they were being punished for actually enjoying time alone.

I for one could never handle my mom on a cruise for 7 days. I liked the idea of a sitter. Maybe next time I invite my 26 y/o niece.

Edited by Mandylouwho

I only have two, and I would agree that it would be tough to cruise with 5 people in one cabin. But, as a friend of mine who has three always says, "the world is designed for families of four".

It's not just cruising, it's pretty much everything. Standard sedan? Three kids in the back row, if any are in car seats, it doesn't work. Must buy a more expensive SUV with a third row seat, or an ungainly minivan.

Rooms at Disney aren't that accommodating either. Had a friend who booked a room for five at one of the moderate level resorts. The bed for the third kid was not much more than a pull out drawer.

Airplanes. If you're on a small plane with rows of two seats by two seats. Who sits by themselves in the row behind the family? Adult? Leaving one adult in the row with three kids? Or kid? Leaving them sitting next to an adult stranger?

Amusement parks. Most rides accommodate two riders side by side. Who rides by themselves?

Etc.

I would say that you either have to book a suite, a larger family stateroom, or two cabins. Unfortunately, the standard cabin won't work for you, and that of course just means you have to expect to pay more.

Let me 'splain Lucy.

So, I was a travel agent for 13 years. And I used to HATE it when people told me they had more than 2 kids. Why? Because it made my job harder and made life traveling difficult for them.

Then I had three. I get it now.

So here we are, and I use Disney as a good example.

Back in the day, you had this option with three kids. 2 rooms, camping, an offsite hotel that was WAY more accommodating and a little too far away, a room in Port Orleans Hotel, if you could snag one with a trundle or a really expensive suite that puts you in the poor house and has you eating Ramen noodles for a year to afford it. (Or you could sell a kidney).

THEN, Disney got the picture and built the Art of Animation Resort. Its a suite based hotel with larger families in mind. Budget. NOT suites.

With cruises it was standing room only. Sorry kid, you can't come (As someone pointed out, you pick your 2 faves and leave the other at home). You didn't do cruises unless you could afford a suite, or didn't mind sleeping apart (Back when they didn't have connecting rooms and the kids were too small to sleep alone).

So you see, all I am asking for is more options. Why can't I have a budget inside family room? WHY? Im not asking for vast amounts of space. I get staterooms are small, it's a part of the experience and all that. All I am asking for is a place to fit my kids without having maybe 2 other options before I hock grandmas candlesticks.

I hope that helps 'splain.

All I was saying was simple. Either pick a room that's accommodates 5 or pick 2 rooms. It is quite simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's quite clear: your family and its budget doesn't fit with the construct of cruise ships to provide affordable accommodation for all to fit in one cabin.

You knew this before you popped out another one and now want to appeal to the industry to revamp its cabins to suit your situation providing you with "more options" at a price you can afford.

Seems pretty clear to me without further explanation.

I bet you really enjoy sitting on lawns and yelling at people to stay away from your garbage cans.

And yes. Yes I do. :)

It's not NCL, but when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise we booked a family oceanview room (and a balcony).

The oceanview room was great; very large, huge windows, a tiny bunk room, which the kids loved, a queen-sized bed that could be curtained off for privacy and a large sofa bed.

The one down side was only one bathroom. We had planned on grandpa and the 3 boys being in the balcony, me and the 4 girls in the family room. Due to one boy getting stomach flu, the other two boys were in the family oceanview part of the cruise. This was on the Navigator of the Seas.

The room is plenty big enough for 6, and since the 4 girls insisted on all sleeping together in the bunk room!!! (ages 6-11) that left the sofa bed for the boys.

Also, we got a very good deal on the room.

This is all excellent information. Thank you!

I don't know how it works on NCL but Carnival and Royal Caribbean both have family rooms that sleep 5 but can only be booked over the phone directly or with a travel agent. You will it be able to get on line quotes, but the rooms are there. I think a lot of people don't know about them, because they can't easily be booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only have two, and I would agree that it would be tough to cruise with 5 people in one cabin. But, as a friend of mine who has three always says, "the world is designed for families of four".

It's not just cruising, it's pretty much everything. Standard sedan? Three kids in the back row, if any are in car seats, it doesn't work. Must buy a more expensive SUV with a third row seat, or an ungainly minivan.

Rooms at Disney aren't that accommodating either. Had a friend who booked a room for five at one of the moderate level resorts. The bed for the third kid was not much more than a pull out drawer.

Airplanes. If you're on a small plane with rows of two seats by two seats. Who sits by themselves in the row behind the family? Adult? Leaving one adult in the row with three kids? Or kid? Leaving them sitting next to an adult stranger?

Amusement parks. Most rides accommodate two riders side by side. Who rides by themselves?

Etc.

I would say that you either have to book a suite, a larger family stateroom, or two cabins. Unfortunately, the standard cabin won't work for you, and that of course just means you have to expect to pay more.

See??? See??!! Yes. All the things. And I loves you.

Simple does not always = acceptable.

I might not think that the prices offered to me are acceptable but that means nothing. The prices are the prices and I either choose to cruise at those prices or not. Rooms for 5 people exist. Either family ocean view or a suite or 2 rooms. You have the choices.

I don't know how it works on NCL but Carnival and Royal Caribbean both have family rooms that sleep 5 but can only be booked over the phone directly or with a travel agent. You will it be able to get on line quotes, but the rooms are there. I think a lot of people don't know about them, because they can't easily be booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have my old agent friends to help me. And while others do offer it, NCL was still winning in offers and ammenities for families.

Besides Disney Cruise Line. But we don't talk about them. They make me cry.

I might not think that the prices offered to me are acceptable but that means nothing. The prices are the prices and I either choose to cruise at those prices or not. Rooms for 5 people exist. Either family ocean view or a suite or 2 rooms. You have the choices.

Choices or "choices"? From where I'm sitting, the cheap seats suck.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more options. That's the glory of life. You can ask and not get crap. Or you can ask and someone may send you a rainbow unicorn. Sometimes it happens.

Shoot for the unicorn. Always. You may be surprised and end up with rainbow colored farts!

Edited by Mandylouwho

Are you no longer permitted to carry on a third child? I always just smacked a luggage tag on the third and left him curbside with the porter.

Nope. Since the kid is mostly water this doesn't work anymore.

The ban on bringing water on board comes into play.

I love this thread. Marylouwho is my newest favorite poster, and I hope you stick around. You've made me LOL several times with your awesome responses to the crankellas.

I agree! I also love the term 'crankellas'!

I agree there should be more options cabin-wise. It makes good business sense to offer a product that can appeal to more people especially for NCL who markets its product to families.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums