Help me decide-snorkeling beach

flipflops55

Hi fellow cruisers,

We are on the Gem in 24 days out of NY, we are in port 8-5pm and only ship in port. I have been reading so much about snorkeling off the beaches in St Maarten. I just want to snorkel and relax. I know everyone has their favorite and of course weather is a big factor but I think I've narrowed it down to Pinel Isla or Dawn. Any input would help. Or maybe a different beach all together? They all look amazing.

Thanks for any input.

You need to be a strong swimmer for the snorkeling area at Dawn Beach.

Transportation could be a issue to and from Pinel Island.

Check out Mullet Bay for beach snorkeling.

IMO St. Maarten/St. Martin is not favorable for beach snorkeling.

The quality of all snorkeling is of course dependent on weather and sea conditions. Also, different people are looking for different things when you talk about snorkeling.

If you are a strong swimmer, then we think best off beach snorkeling is Green Cay off Orient Beach or outside snorkel area rope lines off Pinel (off Pinel is more dependent on sea conditions than Green Cay). Orient is very easy to get to (and get back) - Pinel is more of a challenge for a cruiser but is doable.

Dawn is not difficult swimming in my opinion - unless sea is rough enough that snorkeling is poor at best. Dawn reef has not recovered from building of Westin. In good conditions, Dawn has some snorkeling and is not difficult swimming. I would put Mullet like Dawn in terms of snorkeling- dependent on conditions - if conditions OK, then snorkeling OK. I think you have to be more cautious about traffic back to ship with Mullet than with Dawn, Orient, or Pinel (challenge at Pinel is making sure you have a ride).

Thanks so much for your help.

Runner15km, I too have read that St Marrten is not a good stop for snorkeling. That's why I was asking, better to hear it from someone who's been.

Cheers55, we also have stops in San Juan, St Thomas (I'm going to try to snorkel weather permitting at Sapphire), and Tortola very short stop 7-1pm so we are going to head to Brewers Bay.

I might just try Orient Beach to soak up the sun. No sense worrying about traffic getting back. So hard to choose all look beautiful.

Thanks so much for your help.

Runner15km, I too have read that St Marrten is not a good stop for snorkeling. That's why I was asking, better to hear it from someone who's been.

Cheers55, we also have stops in San Juan, St Thomas (I'm going to try to snorkel weather permitting at Sapphire), and Tortola very short stop 7-1pm so we are going to head to Brewers Bay.

I might just try Orient Beach to soak up the sun. No sense worrying about traffic getting back. So hard to choose all look beautiful.

Sapphire or Coki Beach in St. Thomas will not disappoint for shore snorkeling.

Hi fellow cruisers,

We are on the Gem in 24 days out of NY, we are in port 8-5pm and only ship in port. I have been reading so much about snorkeling off the beaches in St Maarten. I just want to snorkel and relax. I know everyone has their favorite and of course weather is a big factor but I think I've narrowed it down to Pinel Isla or Dawn. Any input would help. Or maybe a different beach all together? They all look amazing.

Thanks for any input.

Mullet is a lovely beach. DD snorkeled by the rocks at the far end of the beach closest to the condos last month and was pleasantly surprised.

She swam with sea turtles at Tintamare island and beautiful colorful fish at Creole rock as well and if you love to snorkel an excursion to either or both of these spots would be ideal.

I would only go to Pinel Island on a cruise if I went on a excursion or if I rented a car. I personally would not rely on a taxi to pick me up from there.

Pinel island has some of the best snorkeling on the island . in fact its the only place left that u might see some fish , dwn beach has a reef and i don't think mullet bay has much to see but the visibility is always wonderful .

Edited by wetdiver
errors

Pinel island has some of the best snorkeling on the island . in fact its the only place left that u might see some fish , dwn beach has a reef and i don't think mullet bay has much to see but the visibility is always wonderful .

Actually, on a calm day, Bay Rouge (just to the west of Sandy Ground) - off to the right near the rocky outcrop - has always been good for seeing fish. Problem is, you need a car as getting a taxi back would be chancy.

Actually, on a calm day, Bay Rouge (just to the west of Sandy Ground) - off to the right near the rocky outcrop - has always been good for seeing fish. Problem is, you need a car as getting a taxi back would be chancy.

DD was disappointed with the snorkeling at the site mentioned at Baie Rouge in December of 2016. Both she and her DF thought the far end of Mullet by the rocks where they snorkeled days earlier, was much better.

The quality of all snorkeling is of course dependent on weather and sea conditions. Also, different people are looking for different things when you talk about snorkeling.

If you are a strong swimmer, then we think best off beach snorkeling is Green Cay off Orient Beach or outside snorkel area rope lines off Pinel (off Pinel is more dependent on sea conditions than Green Cay). Orient is very easy to get to (and get back) - Pinel is more of a challenge for a cruiser but is doable.

Dawn is not difficult swimming in my opinion - unless sea is rough enough that snorkeling is poor at best. Dawn reef has not recovered from building of Westin. In good conditions, Dawn has some snorkeling and is not difficult swimming. I would put Mullet like Dawn in terms of snorkeling- dependent on conditions - if conditions OK, then snorkeling OK. I think you have to be more cautious about traffic back to ship with Mullet than with Dawn, Orient, or Pinel (challenge at Pinel is making sure you have a ride).

Green Cay is 600 or 700 yards off of Orient,is that what you are suggesting?

gary

Yes. For those comfortable with open water swimming, we consider the best off-beach snorkeling to be Green Cay off Orient. It is best to start the swim from the Club Orient beach between the Perch and Papagayo (that is, between the bar and restaurant) because the normal current that most affects the swim to Green Cay is East to West and the further south east you are swimming, the less you have to worry about boats and jet skis.

You can get jet ski guys to run you over to Green Cay and then pick you up - but you have to leave time to swim back if they forget the pickup (not likely but can happen). I am not sure what they are charging to do that these days. More expensive, but very nice, can be to get Club O watersports to run you over to Green Cay in a boat for 15 E per person - years ago when we did this a few times, they would bring over an umbrella and set it up for you on Green Cay but I have no idea if they still do that or exactly how the taxi boat is working these days. You probably cannot get them to take you over (if at all) until after 10 a.m. If interested in this, you could email Club O and ask about whether they are doing this taxi boat thing over to Green Cay the day you will be there.

A swim from Grand Case Beach Club beach to Creole Rock (which has good snorkeling on far side especially) is not too much harder just in terms of the swimming, but to do that swim you are crossing a fairly busy boat lane and it is not something we recommend others do - even though we have done it in years past, will not again. You usually can get the water sports guy at Grand Case Beach Club to take you over to Creole Rock in a boat but they often do not want to let you go to other side where some of best coral and other flora is.

Easy off beach snorkeling is at a number of beaches - off Divi Little Bay beach is one we do a lot - very little coral and other flora but lots of fauna.

I always cringe a little at comments about how poor the snorkeling on St Martin is. We have snorkeled in Fiji (out islands) and the Maldives - best off beach snorkeling in the world (as well as off boats of course). We still very much enjoy snorkeling when in St Martin. To say that Pinel is the only place where you will see fish is just silly. I would say, however, that on at least one occasion we have been unable to see much of anything at every place we have snorkeled in St Martin - including Green Cay and Pinel. It always depends on sea conditions (both in terms of the sea bed being stirred up and the roughness of the surface) and how much light there is. Years ago (well before Louis and the Westin) we used to go to Dawn to snorkel but in our memory that was the place where we most often went and the surf was strong and the sea bed was all stirred up and we could not see a thing. Baie Rouge is another place where conditions are often such that you cannot see much of anything.

Yes. For those comfortable with open water swimming, we consider the best off-beach snorkeling to be Green Cay off Orient. It is best to start the swim from the Club Orient beach between the Perch and Papagayo (that is, between the bar and restaurant) because the normal current that most affects the swim to Green Cay is East to West and the further south east you are swimming, the less you have to worry about boats and jet skis.

You can get jet ski guys to run you over to Green Cay and then pick you up - but you have to leave time to swim back if they forget the pickup (not likely but can happen). I am not sure what they are charging to do that these days. More expensive, but very nice, can be to get Club O watersports to run you over to Green Cay in a boat for 15 E per person - years ago when we did this a few times, they would bring over an umbrella and set it up for you on Green Cay but I have no idea if they still do that or exactly how the taxi boat is working these days. You probably cannot get them to take you over (if at all) until after 10 a.m. If interested in this, you could email Club O and ask about whether they are doing this taxi boat thing over to Green Cay the day you will be there.

A swim from Grand Case Beach Club beach to Creole Rock (which has good snorkeling on far side especially) is not too much harder just in terms of the swimming, but to do that swim you are crossing a fairly busy boat lane and it is not something we recommend others do - even though we have done it in years past, will not again. You usually can get the water sports guy at Grand Case Beach Club to take you over to Creole Rock in a boat but they often do not want to let you go to other side where some of best coral and other flora is.

Easy off beach snorkeling is at a number of beaches - off Divi Little Bay beach is one we do a lot - very little coral and other flora but lots of fauna.

I always cringe a little at comments about how poor the snorkeling on St Martin is. We have snorkeled in Fiji (out islands) and the Maldives - best off beach snorkeling in the world (as well as off boats of course). We still very much enjoy snorkeling when in St Martin. To say that Pinel is the only place where you will see fish is just silly. I would say, however, that on at least one occasion we have been unable to see much of anything at every place we have snorkeled in St Martin - including Green Cay and Pinel. It always depends on sea conditions (both in terms of the sea bed being stirred up and the roughness of the surface) and how much light there is. Years ago (well before Louis and the Westin) we used to go to Dawn to snorkel but in our memory that was the place where we most often went and the surf was strong and the sea bed was all stirred up and we could not see a thing. Baie Rouge is another place where conditions are often such that you cannot see much of anything.

I wish that you wouldn't have put the idea into anyone's head to even consider swimming out to Creole Rock to snorkel. I know that you said that you don't recommend it but there are so many cheap ( yes I said it) people that read these boards that I am afraid that just by mentioning that it's even possible people will try it. I wouldn't even rent a kayak and go to Creole Rock to snorkel as I think that even by kayak it's not safe. I know that when Sebastian was running Creole Rock water sports he did snorkel tours for up to 5 people at a time and they were very good and quite reasonable. He was excellent as a snorkel guide as he was extremely cautious and really tried to help people find the sealife that was out there. I never saw him just drop folks off there and thankfully I never saw people swim out to Creole Rock either. There are sea doo tours and rhino rider boat tours and lots of boats that go between creole rock and the land that it's just not a place for swimmers.

I have actually seen more interesting fish and better coral when snorkeling on the close side of Creole Rock than I have on the far side.

Have you snorkeled at Baie Prune before? A few years ago people who were snorkeling directly in front of the entrance path told me that there was plenty of fish to see in very shallow water.

Edited by Karysa

Cruisers getting snorkel information on CC should not think about swimming from GCBC to Creole Rock - I agree with you.

Yes, Sebastien was the best at running watersportws at GCBC - the best at taking folks over to Creole Rock from GCBC. We still see him on Funseaker - his dream boat - very much enjoy our trips with him. He operates out of Anse Marcel Marina and it is hard to coordinate with him when you are there on a port of call off a cruise ship - although he does pick up and drop off in Grand Case (the town not GCBC).

Last one I knew (and can recall) doing the watersports at GCBC who did the boat trips over to Creole Rock was "Ben" - but I am not sure who is there now - there must be someone. They also have bumped up the cost over years - I think with Sebastien it got up to $25 maybe $30 per person - not sure - but I think it is more now - and to be clearer, it was always a guided snorkel tour - at least in theory - they did not just drop us off and motor back to GCBC.

We have snorkeled at Baie aux Prunes or Plum Bay (it is commonly called Plum Bay) many times. It often has been rough and visibility was poor - last time we were there was last April and it was like that. It is like Baie Rouge in that respect - not that surprising since they are somewhat next to each other. Best snorkeling is to right of entrance path and toward rocks sticking up in water to right of beach. Plum Bay has zero amenities so there usually are few people there - especially in morning. When either Plum Bay or Baie Rouge have really rough surf, it can be dangerous just getting in and out of the water. I do not recommend either Plum Bay or Baie Rouge to cruisers who are not already familiar with island.

Cruisers getting snorkel information on CC should not think about swimming from GCBC to Creole Rock - I agree with you.

Yes, Sebastien was the best at running watersportws at GCBC - the best at taking folks over to Creole Rock from GCBC. We still see him on Funseaker - his dream boat - very much enjoy our trips with him. He operates out of Anse Marcel Marina and it is hard to coordinate with him when you are there on a port of call off a cruise ship - although he does pick up and drop off in Grand Case (the town not GCBC).

Last one I knew (and can recall) doing the watersports at GCBC who did the boat trips over to Creole Rock was "Ben" - but I am not sure who is there now - there must be someone. They also have bumped up the cost over years - I think with Sebastien it got up to $25 maybe $30 per person - not sure - but I think it is more now - and to be clearer, it was always a guided snorkel tour - at least in theory - they did not just drop us off and motor back to GCBC.

We have snorkeled at Baie aux Prunes or Plum Bay (it is commonly called Plum Bay) many times. It often has been rough and visibility was poor - last time we were there was last April and it was like that. It is like Baie Rouge in that respect - not that surprising since they are somewhat next to each other. Best snorkeling is to right of entrance path and toward rocks sticking up in water to right of beach. Plum Bay has zero amenities so there usually are few people there - especially in morning. When either Plum Bay or Baie Rouge have really rough surf, it can be dangerous just getting in and out of the water. I do not recommend either Plum Bay or Baie Rouge to cruisers who are not already familiar with island.

:) I can tell you where you can find Ben. He is the waiter at Le Le Soleil restaurant in Grand Case on the beach. I know that he works in the restaurant and on the beach in the day but I'm not sure if he works the evening.

The days that we went to Baie Prune it was super calm and the water was super clear. That was in the summer of 2015. Baie Prune is easy enough to reach via car but I agree it wouldn't be the first beach that I would recommend to a cruiser new to St. Maarten unless of course they wanted to view the president-elects beachfront property there.

Edited by Karysa

What if we are not going to snorkel is Grand Case beach a good choice as we have been to most of the other beaches in past years. Our ship is overnighting in Saint Marrten.

That's where I would head. You can get free loungers at Calmos Cafe for the afternoon and stay for the sunset and a casual dinner with your toes in the sand. :)

Edited by Karysa

Trend,

I don't think that this is addressed in this thread, but I hope that you (and others) are planning on a taxi to get to Grand Case or elsewhere on the island for the evening vs. using a rental car.

We spend a lot of time on the island, and I really try to not drive across the island very much at night.

Be safe.

gary

I loved the fish at Calmos but found the entry into the water a bit rocky. Any thoughts on Rainbow Cafe? Gets good reviews on TA and photos seem to show an easier water entry.

I walked down that end of the beach. Looked nice. Watersport rentals. Quite a few families with kids and teens.