Travel Agent Charging High Taxes/Fees?

lderochi

Is it common for a TA to charge significantly higher taxes/fees than the cruise line? I'm a relatively new cruiser (booking my second cruise) and got a quote from a TA that was recommended to me by friends. The quote (base rate + port charges, taxes and fees) was really the same as Carnival would charge, but the TA offered a nice OBC. The TA got to his number by quoting a very low base rate and a much higher charge for "taxes/fees". Example: For a balcony cabin on this sailing Carnival charges $2452 with taxes and fees of $298.50 per cabin. The TA says his rate is $2134 with taxes and fees of $616.50. So both end up at $2750.50 per cabin. The OBC offered by the TA is good, so I plan on going with him. My only (small) concern is that if I see Carnival dropping fares for this sailing, there's not much I can do about it. The TA's quoted "fare" will probably never be higher than Carnival's, even if the overall cost (fare + fees) drops. Sorry, this is a very longwinded way of asking if it is common for a TA to lowball fares and highball taxes/fees?

The TA doesn't set the taxes and fees, so I don't understand how they could be so much higher than the cruise line's fare. Are they including a booking fee of some type or insurance?

Roz

The TA doesn't set the taxes and fees, so I don't understand how they could be so much higher than the cruise line's fare. Are they including a booking fee of some type or insurance?

Roz

The TA could very well be adding their own fees on top of the Cruiselines taxes and fees. Probably just very greedy.

I am almost certain that your TA is adding the "NCF" portion of the fare to the taxes line. NCF is part of the base fare...it's the non-commissionable fare. This amount only affects the TA and is meaningless to the consumer, but your TA misclassified it as taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by rockbock

I had the same problem when I booked on line and they would never change it. "It's the way it is." Couldn't check fare viewer because I didn't know how much I paid for the cabin. They said just over $1200, Carnival said just over $1600. I'll never use them again.

Roz

It might be a booking fee, definitely isn't insurance. It just seemed to me that it was a way of making his quote look a lot lower, when it really wasn't. FWIW I then checked with a few other TAs and everybody's overall quote was about the same, but like I said this agent got there is an odd way. But he's still offering the best OBC, so I dunno . . . :confused:

I am almost certain that your TA is adding the "NCF" portion of the fare to the taxes line. NCF is part of the base fare...it's the non-commissionable fare. This amount only affects the TA and is meaningless to the consumer, but your TA misclassified it as taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the fact that the two final prices work out to the same figure means the TA is advertising the commissionable portion of the fare as the "fare", and adding the non-commissionable fare as "port charges" (note they cannot call it taxes or fees, though they may lump them together until the final billing). This is how many TA's attract customers, by advertising a "fare" that is significantly less than the cruise line's advertised rate.

Non-commissionable fare is simply a number that the cruise line sets. They are essentially saying to the TA's "we will pay you a commission of X% based on this portion of the fare (commissionable fare), but we won't pay a commission on this percentage. TA's don't like it, but the cruise lines can do as they wish.

"Port taxes and fees" are set by the cruise line, not the TA, and a class action lawsuit a few years back makes it very restrictive what the cruise line can call "port taxes and fees".

Do you have a copy of your confirmation? If so, everything should be spelled out on there. Guest Fare, Gov Tax/Port Exp/Fees, Insurance, Prepaid Service Charge.

On another line they also add any Service Charges that go with a Promotion.

It might be a booking fee, definitely isn't insurance. It just seemed to me that it was a way of making his quote look a lot lower, when it really wasn't. FWIW I then checked with a few other TAs and everybody's overall quote was about the same, but like I said this agent got there is an odd way. But he's still offering the best OBC, so I dunno . . . :confused:

How much is the OBC? Do they charge an initial booking fee? What about fees for price drops/cancellations? Are they open 24/7? Is their final payment date different than Carnival's? Are you getting locked into an Early Saver Rate (that you may or may not want).

It's very important to ask all these questions. You know the old saying - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if they differ drastically from everyone else.

How much is the OBC? Do they charge an initial booking fee? What about fees for price drops/cancellations? Are they open 24/7? Is their final payment date different than Carnival's? Are you getting locked into an Early Saver Rate (that you may or may not want).

It's very important to ask all these questions. You know the old saying - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if they differ drastically from everyone else.

Thank you! In order, (1) no initial booking fees, (2) no additional fees for price drops or cancellations (it is early saver, which I'm ok with) other than what Carnival charges, (3) not open 24/7, open 12/7, (4) the OBC is not drastically different than others, but it is better than others.

My TA does the same thing But everything works out . I Get My discounts and Passengers 1 & 2: 504.00 2 1,008.00

NCF's-Passengers 1 & 2: 159.00 2 318.00

Taxes & Fees-Passengers 1 & 2: 155.25 2 310.50

Subtotal: 1,636.50

:rolleyes:

Thank you! In order, (1) no initial booking fees, (2) no additional fees for price drops or cancellations (it is early saver, which I'm ok with) other than what Carnival charges, (3) not open 24/7, open 12/7, (4) the OBC is not drastically different than others, but it is better than others.

Sounds pretty decent then. The only thing I can see a possible issue with is if you need to get a hold of them the other 12 hours they are closed in the event of a price drop which is what happened to me and almost cost me quite a few hundred dollars. Luckily Carnival gave it to me even though they didn't have to as it was totally the TAs fault and their Customer Service was horrible. It was a very long, drawn out process which turned me off of TAs forever. So now I only book direct through my PVP. Good luck and happy cruising which ever way you decide!

Is it common for a TA to charge significantly higher taxes/fees than the cruise line? I'm a relatively new cruiser (booking my second cruise) and got a quote from a TA that was recommended to me by friends. The quote (base rate + port charges, taxes and fees) was really the same as Carnival would charge, but the TA offered a nice OBC. The TA got to his number by quoting a very low base rate and a much higher charge for "taxes/fees". Example: For a balcony cabin on this sailing Carnival charges $2452 with taxes and fees of $298.50 per cabin. The TA says his rate is $2134 with taxes and fees of $616.50. So both end up at $2750.50 per cabin. The OBC offered by the TA is good, so I plan on going with him. My only (small) concern is that if I see Carnival dropping fares for this sailing, there's not much I can do about it. The TA's quoted "fare" will probably never be higher than Carnival's, even if the overall cost (fare + fees) drops. Sorry, this is a very longwinded way of asking if it is common for a TA to lowball fares and highball taxes/fees?

I only book with a TA... whenever the price on the cruise goes down on Carnival's site, I just send her an e-mail with the new price, and she gets it adjusted. An TA would do that.

The problem with that often is that when there is a price decrease, it has to be for your actual category and the website is not always clear on that. But it doesn't matter who you book through you'll run into that same problem.

The concern with the TA you have selected is the taxes and fees should be exactly the same. Just like there are a few great PVPs there are a few horrible TAs.

Thanks everybody, I feel (mostly) better now. Still not quite sure I'll go with him or one of the other TA's offering about the same pricing with a little less OBC.

By the way, FiremanBobsWife -- it's on the Glory, really enjoyed your recent review. :)

Thanks everybody, I feel (mostly) better now. Still not quite sure I'll go with him or one of the other TA's offering about the same pricing with a little less OBC.

By the way, FiremanBobsWife -- it's on the Glory, really enjoyed your recent review. :)

Oh, yay my favorite! Glad you enjoyed the info! Let me know if you have any other questions about the cruise or ship. I'm always glad to help! You can also reach me anytime on my email link in the upper right hand corner - the little red "Y".

Edited by firemanbobswife