Island or Coral for full transit of Panama Canal?

silverwillow

We did full transit on The Island in Dec. 2015. I liked the Island a lot (in fact it is my new favorite ship...the way it was arranged was great. You can still pretty much get a full walk on the Promenade Deck. You just cut through from one side to the other in front of the new mini suites.

Edited by bestnana2007

I'd probably pick the Coral. Mainly because she has a small International Cafe and the full Promenade walk around deck.

That said, I was on the Island for a full transit in December and it was a very nice cruise. I really had no problems. The staff was great. Food was good. I don't eat in the MDR at peak hours and didn't see long lines. I did have someone tell me they had a line for Anytime Dining at one point. I watched a lot of good movies on MUTS instead of going to the dining room. They took away the game room and combined it with the library, but the library is still well stocked and has several chairs. I really liked the new gym even though there are no windows. I had a forward balcony cabin, so I didn't experience the reported vibration. I wouldn't hesitate to go on the Island again. It really was a nice experience.

Sounds like booking the Coral for Christmas/New Year 2017/2018 full transit was the best decision for us.

Now I am nervous about travelling from New Zealand to Fort Lauderdale! :eek: Getting home from LA won't be so bad.

Not wanting to 'hijack' this thread, we would appreciate thoughts on this trips with me being in a wheelchair (powered)

What makes you nervous about the NZ-FL trip? It's a really long way; are you planning to do a layover on the West Coast and resume your trip a day or two later? It sounds like this would be the trip to do it on. LA to FL is several hours and you'll want to be there at least a day before to be safe. I flew from Phoenix, AZ to Cairo, Egypt once and definitely did a layover in NYC both ways. It makes life so much easier. Since you'll be traveling during the busy Christmas traveling time remember that everything is jammed over here and allow time for those delays.

I'm glad that you chose the Coral and my favorite deck. It will be easier to get around, especially going through the canal when everyone will be on deck. Have a wonderful cruise and trip across.

This will be our first sailing with Princess. Have previously done two cruises on the Celebrity Solstice, plus six other cruises on smaller, luxury lines. For us, we were more focused on traveling with some high school friends of my wife, plus the chance to do the canal, try another cruise line, get food value for this cruise, etc. I am sure we will "survive" whether or not things have been changed from the original design of this ship. Sounds like certain aspects might be a little better on the Coral, but I assume that things, overall, will work well on the Island Princess, too. Right?

We did a B2B to Alaska on Island back in September and have sailed both ships many times. Going back for a full transit Panama cruise this spring on Island. We like both ships. Since you haven't been on either you will be fine, although don't expect the luxury stuff you have seen on other lines. Great staff on Island and senior crew are out and about a lot. Make sure you see "On the Bayou" - Island has this in the Princess Theater since they don't have the Universe Lounge any more. Enjoy the Lotus Pool area - cushioned loungers in a large air-conditioned area with a pool. Step outside to take pictures. Lots of places to view the locks, and you will want to move around anyway. There are large public balconies aft and forward on Baja and Caribe that they open during the transit, as well as a large covered Promenade deck around 3/4 of the ship.

There are a couple of aft corner balconies that can't be used during transit since these are the ones close to the mule cables. No big deal. And if you choose an obstructed ocean view, avoid the ones on Emerald in the E320-E330 range. These are pretty loud until 11 PM or so.

What makes you nervous about the NZ-FL trip? It's a really long way; are you planning to do a layover on the West Coast and resume your trip a day or two later? It sounds like this would be the trip to do it on. LA to FL is several hours and you'll want to be there at least a day before to be safe. I flew from Phoenix, AZ to Cairo, Egypt once and definitely did a layover in NYC both ways. It makes life so much easier. Since you'll be traveling during the busy Christmas traveling time remember that everything is jammed over here and allow time for those delays.

I'm glad that you choose the Coral and my favorite deck. It will be easier to get around, especially going through the canal when everyone will be on deck. Have a wonderful cruise and trip across.

Thanks for your response.

I am a Wheelchair user do concerned about the 13 + hrs to Houston. However DH has just completed that trip today (on his way to Washington DC). So am more relaxed about it now after he had a chat to the crew.

A bit shocked at the events at FL today. Very sad.

Wondering about a couple of nights in Houston? Then 2 to 3 nights in F L.

Glad with our choice of the Coral.

Have cruised on both the Coral (Alaska) and Island (Panama full transit). They're both wonderful ships and the transit will be an amazing journey whichever ship you travel on. I'd just pick the dates that suit you best and book it.

As others have said the only problem with the Island since it was rejigged is with any time dining. Everyone who wants to change from the Traditional sittings lines up whenever they want at the Anytime Dining Room and cause huge wait times. Princess needs to address this as a matter of urgency on all its ships but especially the Island which really can't cope.

Have a great cruise. The transit is fabulous. Be prepared for a very long day!

Thanks for your response.

I am a Wheelchair user do concerned about the 13 + hrs to Houston. However DH has just completed that trip today (on his way to Washington DC). So am more relaxed about it now after he had a chat to the crew.

A bit shocked at the events at FL today. Very sad.

Wondering about a couple of nights in Houston? Then 2 to 3 nights in F L.

Glad with our choice of the Coral.

I'm glad to hear about the stops. We lived in Houston for 10 years and I can say... 2 nights is more than enough in Houston. I'd go for one there (unless you have friends nearby) and give the 3 nights to FL. Have you researched FL for things to do that are wheelchair-accessible? I think you'll find it more workable for your needs. Have a safe journey and a wonderful cruise!

The long lines during Anytime Dining were a big problem. On one of our formal nights, the wait was close to a hour. They gave us "buzzers" so we would know when it was our time. The Horizon Court is at the front of the ship so there is a very nice views when you eat. I really liked that. It took probably 8 hours to go through the canal.

Wow. It must have been a pretty boring cruise if you observed the MDR line for 3-1/2 hours every night. Makes me not as excited for my upcoming PC cruise.

Well if you must know, the line was there when we arrived for dinner, it was there when any of our party went to the restroom, it was there when we left dinner. Dinner usually lasted more than 2 hours. Also spoke with the HW that manned the door every night. I felt sorry for him because of all the obnoxious passengers taking him to task because they had to wait.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see the lines even as one passes through the Piazza throughout the evening.

Our cruises are far from boring.

Thanks for your concern.

IMO only going to be worse now that a sizable portion of the DR is taken by CC.