Independence of the Seas or Norwegian Epic?

My wife and I (30) are going on a transatlantic cruise and have to decided between these two. They both look great and we would like some feedback please.

Which one is more fun? Which one did you prefer and why? I posted the same question in the NCL forum, we are just trying to get some good overall opinions from both sides.

Thanks in advance!

My inlaws hated Epic- they thought it seemed "cheap" (whatever that means :)). Specifically, they hated their cabin, cabin bathroom and layout. For comparison- they LOVED Allure. I was on Independence a short while back, and really liked it :). Big, great room, nice food, nice glass balcony, lots to do...

Note- inlaws were in their 60's and are "traditional Iowa farmer" types. I was 40, and with 3 other women... we ranged in age from 40-60something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vacationlover_mn

My inlaws hated Epic- they thought it seemed "cheap" (whatever that means :)). Specifically, they hated their cabin, cabin bathroom and layout. For comparison- they LOVED Allure. I was on Independence a short while back, and really liked it :). Big, great room, nice food, nice glass balcony, lots to do...

Note- inlaws were in their 60's and are "traditional Iowa farmer" types. I was 40, and with 3 other women... we ranged in age from 40-60something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks!!

We have been on both, Independence in 2008 and the Epic was in 2010. I think I would pick the Epic if I was given a choice of a free cruise on either. That being said we are cruising the Independence again in March to use up a credit voucher we received from a previous RCI cruise that was about to expire.

I was just on Epic in November and sailed Indy a few years back. I would pick Indy for the ship, but if NCL is offering the pick two(drink pkg., dining pkg. etc) I would take NCL.

I like NCL food better, but the cabin layout on Epic was horrible with the toilet behind frosted glass on one side and the shower on the other.

Can't speak to an Epic experience, but did do a Transatlantic on Independence a few years back and had a wonderful experience. Freedom Class ships have plenty of venues available for non-stop activities if that's what ur looking for, as well as nice quiet areas to just "be", people watch, whatever.

Transatlantic Meet & Mingle forums are also usually quite active and plan some extra get-togethers on board.

Whichever you choose, I wish you a great cruise!

Ellen

I have been on both, and would definitely recommend Epic. The bathroom layout is blown out of portion to me. The food(which is obviously subjective) is much better on Epic to me. The fact that you can get the dining package as one of the perks is a big plus. The beverage package is also awesome, if you are much of a drinker. I enjoy SpiceH20 much more than the Solarium, better layout, more sun, and it's awesome to be at the back of the ship.

I don't like the reservation system, but if you know about it, then just make reservations online, or the first day of the cruise. If you have any specific questions about either, feel free to ask!

I was on the Indy Transatlantic cruise in October 2016.

Having been on more that 10 T.A. This was the worst for Food and People.

The Chef was British and the Food was just plain awful. As a Brit, so many dishes were wrongly cooked, incorrect meat, So many People were complaining. A large Group of Brits, most who paid very Little for the cruise, flights etc. Made the cruise even worse, short and flip Flops at dinner and many were drunk.

It was not a nice cruise, never again sailing on a T.A from or to Southampton.

Take the Epic!!