QM2 Art Lessons

harpy3

Yes, on most Cunard voyages/cruises there will be the occasion for Art/watercolour classes, however, they are not hosted by Cunard employees, rather like those who host the Bridge classes.

so you may have to wait until you are onboard for more information.

Are there art lessons on QM2 transatlantic? Does one just find out on the ship about them? Cannot find anything on Cunard web site.

Just to expand a bit on what Bell Boy and Lakesregion have already mentioned ...

During a back-to-back crossing last summer, watercolour art classes were offered each sea day at 10:00am and 2:30pm during the eastbound crossing (when we lost at hour at noon most days). During the westbound crossing (when we gained an hour during the night most days) classes were offered each sea day at 10:00am and 2:00pm. Here is a basic description of the class from our Daily Programme.

Watercolour Art Class

There will be a one-time fee of $35 for supplies. Limited to 25 guests.

Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3

C Stairway, Port side

On the last sea day, the afternoon time slot was replaced with the following.

Watercolour Art Exhibition

View works created by your fellow guests throughout this voyage.

Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3

C Stairway, Port side (until 4:00pm)

I have not attended these watercolour art classes myself, but others we have met at our dinner tables during several past crossings have said they enjoyed the classes.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Bluemarble has given you excellent information about the watercolour classes on QM2. Classes are offered on sea days, which for a transatlantic means all of them except the first and last.

I attended every day on our recent WB TA. Art tutors are brought on board for fixed periods, so you could encounter 2 different tutors on your trips.

A few participants were quite experienced and had worked with our tutor before on previous trips. They tended to bring their own supplies, some just because they already had them from previous cruises. Others, like me, had done some watercolour work before, and many were complete beginners.

There is no charge for the classes but the kit costs $35. This is excellent value, particularly for US guests and one lady wanted to buy a second kit as a gift.

Here's what we got:

Winsor and Newton Cotman 14”x10“ pad, 140lb. NOT paper

Winsor and Newton Cotman Sketcher's Pocketbox

Winsor and Newton Cotman Brushes - 19mm One Stroke, size 8 round, size 2 rigger

Winsor and Newton small putty eraser

Reeves small palette for mixing

Caran d'ache 2B graphite pencil

Caran d'ache pencil sharpener.

Apparently Cunard provides the kit and the cost is charged to your on board account. Although I could have taken my own supplies I chose not to and was impressed by the quality of what was provided. It's top of the range student level that's used by some professionals and quite comprehensive. I particularly enjoyed using the brushes.

Our tutor, Viv, was well prepared and provided both structured lessons for beginners and projects for the more advanced.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again - I loved it.

Did a short cruise in Sept on QM2 and we had 2 Art Classes very well attended also just back from New year on QE and we had 3 classes would have had 4 but we did not leave Amsterdam till 1pm. Both sets where great fun I brought my kit at the 1st class and then at new year took it with me.

People completed a picture in the time even complete beginners which given the length of time was really good. If you have the time go along and learn something new.

When I can afford to go TA, I want to go to every class.

• 1 month later...