Swim Fins

skatergirl51

We are leaving next month for a cruise on the Sirena, through French Polynesia. I am wondering if it is advised to bring swim fins for the many times we will be snorkelling. Normally I wear swim shoes to protect my feet from the coral but wonder about the currents in this area and if fins are needed for any drift snorkelling.I am just an average swimmer and not particularly strong.

I was on Marina in January 2015 for the French Polynesian cruise and the snorkeling was amazing. If you are not a strong swimmer you can request a life vest to assist you in floating. On several private exclusions that I was part of at least 2 people could not swim at all and had life vests on so they could get in the water and feel comfortable. Also, sneak some Rice Krispies off the ship with you. The fish go crazy. You should love the trip. The water is so beautiful. Photographs don't do it justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If going to the island of Huahine, Mark's Tour is fantastic. We used our fins for the drift snorkel and it was an amazing tour! We've taken his tour twice and both times...they were the best!

Also my husband does not swim, so he brings his own waist float (water ski type) which allows him to snorkel freely without sinking.

We prefer to bring our own fins and snorkel gear.

There are so many places right off the beaches to snorkel, even when you are not on a tour.

Bring mosquito repellant....

You will love FP!

We did FP last year. Coral resistant booties / etc are a must. We brought our own fins, used them about half the time, mostly where strong channel currents passed through in between the rim islands.

Same for us.

Some currents are strong and unless you are a strong swimmer you will need fins.

I took small fins and they were perfect and take up less space. Of course you can use the provided fins but there is nothing like your own.:)

The rubber boots were also ideal for standing in areas where we fed the stingrays and "admired" the sharks.

Edited by wally_bushy

Same for us.

Some currents are strong and unless you are a strong swimmer you will need fins.

I took small fins and they were perfect and take up less space. Of course you can use the provided fins but there is nothing like your own.:)

The rubber boots were also ideal for standing in areas where we fed the stingrays and "admired" the sharks.

+1 Take your own fins, mask, snorkel, vest and rash guards if you have them. They will make the whole experience much more enjoyable and you'll be more comfortable with your own equipment.

Edited by Queen of DaNile

"Also, sneak some Rice Krispies off the ship with you. The fish go crazy."

Please don't do that. "Take only pictures, leave only bubbles".

Really??? You think Rice Krispies are somehow damaging the eco-system or the fish? The native tour guides have baguettes of bread that they give out to snorkelers to attract the fish. How are Rice Krispies any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can safely skip to the links at the bottom of this post for direct information on "why not".

I thought a simple "don't do this" was sufficient and did not use the quote tool to try to avoid a discussion of this but being as you asked...

Really???

Yes, really. A quick Internet search will maybe help you to understand that the Bikini Bottom Bakery only exists in SpongeBob Squarepants' world.

Really??? You think Rice Krispies are somehow damaging the eco-system or the fish? The native tour guides have baguettes of bread that they give out to snorkelers to attract the fish. How are Rice Krispies any different?

I am sure there is no ill intent from anyone sprinkling food to attract these beautiful creatures and I certainly understand the draw. In fact, in many of these places you don't even need to sprinkle anything just simply waving your hands is sufficient to cause a bit of food frenzy amongst the fish because they have been so conditioned.

Those locals you referred to are the real fishermen. They are fishing for your money and you've been hooked. Not unlike that "old lady who swallowed a fly", they use the tiny rice crispies as bait to attract the fish, and those fish were the bait they used to attract you and you brought your wallet.

As first world travellers with lots of money, lots of us, and lots of cultural differences we need to be cognizant that we can easily be disruptive to an ecology, an economy, a culture. It's not that I am without fault myself but I happened to learn of this fish feeding a number of years ago while on a snorkeling excursion in Mexico. Our(responsible) guides stopped people who had brought food and explained how damaging it can be.

http://diving-gozo.com/2014/02/why-feeding-the-fish-is-wrong

"These are not our views but the consensus of leading marine biologists throughout the world. Almost every diving organisation is against the feeding of fish including PADI, the largest diving organisation in the world. Project AWARE the affiliate organisation for PADI in protecting the marine environment states in rule number 4 of 10 tips to protect the ocean planet; Choose not to touch, feed, handle, chase or ride anything underwater. Your actions may stress the animal, interrupt feeding and mating behavior or provoke aggressive behavior. Understand and respect underwater life and follow all local laws and regulations.

How can you help? It goes without saying that we will never allow this activity in our dive centre but if you come to the islands and see this activity taking place, please raise it with your instructor, guide or dive centre stating that it is wrong and it shouldn’t be happening."

No need to even step outside of the comfort of CC. Take a look on the diving and scuba board and you'll find threads such as:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=129140

"Feeding the fish disrupts their natural feeding, and makes them dependant upon this new source, they lose their foraging ability. Regardless of what you'd be bringing, it's not a natural food for them, and it's certainly not a natural delivery system. It also causes them to lose their fear of humans, making them easy targets for spear fishers."

I totally get the allure, but it's not good for the fish, and these are pretty delicate eco systems... I'd hate to think that my visit was doing more harm than it had to. "

Edited by YoHoHo