Wheel chair and British Isle cruise

recia

We are booked on Princess in August for British Isle cruise. My DW may have to be using a wheel chair then. I have transport chair and can bring that with us, is this doable for this cruise and the ports? She can walk just not long time.

The only possible difficulty I can foresee is if your wife needs more assistance than the crew can provide if any ports involve tendering. Once ashore you would be very unlikely to experience any access difficulties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I regularly see wheel-chair users come ashore at Queensferry (for Edinburgh) so clearly Princess allows their use on tenders. The pier is quite rough underfoot but there are no steps just a slight incline upwards. The Royal Mile in Edinburgh would be difficult to navigate though and the Castle pretty much impossible IMO

Thanks for replies, London (southampton), England

Fri, 08/18/17 Guernsey (st. Peter Port), England

Tender Required

wheelchair Access Limited 6:00am – 2:00pm

Sat, 08/19/17 Cork, Ireland (cobh - For Blarney Castle)

7:30am – 6:00pm

Sun, 08/20/17 Dublin, Ireland

Overnight 10:30am

Mon, 08/21/17 Dublin, Ireland

– 9:15pm

Tue, 08/22/17 Belfast, Northern Ireland

9:00am – 9:00pm

Wed, 08/23/17 Glasgow (greenock), Scotland

Departs After Midnight 7:00am

Thu, 08/24/17 Glasgow (greenock), Scotland

– 2:00am

Fri, 08/25/17 Invergordon, Scotland

7:00am – 6:00pm

Sat, 08/26/17 Edinburgh (south Queensferry), Scotland

Tender Required

wheelchair Access Limited 7:00am – 7:00pm

Sun, 08/27/17 At Sea

Mon, 08/28/17 Paris/Normandy (le Havre), France here are the ports

A transport chair and cobblestones are not a great combination. The small wheels get stuck in the ruts easily and bad things happen. You will be somewhat limited in what you will be able to do on your own. But the ship excursions and private tours should be able to let you know if they could accommodate her specific needs. There will be great options at every port that will work for you I'm sure you might just have to work a little harder to find them.

We will also be traveling on a British Isles cruise in August. My spouse uses a wheelchair regularly now, and our experience is that the cruise staff is, for the most part, helpful and accommodating. While the small wheels of a transport chair will not be a problem on the ship, we find bringing his "regular" wheelchair (with a larger rear wheel) allows for much easier transporting on streets, sidewalks, over thresholds/curbs, and any uneven surfaces. It still folds quite easily so we can throw it in the trunk of a car or back of a van.

While some have advised us against the crowds at Edinburgh Castle and the military tattoo, others say it is possible to arrange handicap transportation and seating. We decided, for other reasons, that we will not attend the Tattoo, so I can't be more specific about those arrangements.

Another consideration might be to reserve seats closer to the front of any tour buses, etc., that you are taking. We find that helpful.

• 4 months later...

My travel companion has walking difficulties and we decided not to bring out transport chair. We are booked on private taxi tours. Does anyone know how far is it in each port to the area where the taxis are?

Ports are Cork, Dublin, Greenport, Intergoten, Liverpool, LeHavre.