Minors in nearby cabin with moved suite reservations

abbyar

We were switched from Spirit to Jade to Epic for February sailing - we had a suite so when we were switched to Epic we were given an H6 and a ID across the hall. My kids are 7&9 so yes they're minors but omg I cannot believe the drama. I called yesterday to get edocs and the headache to get them was insane. Everyone keeps asking me why they put us I this room - well, I don't know, how about you tell me why they wouldn't upgrade me to a 4 person suite??

Anyway with all these questions I'm concerned about the kids having haven access. When I moved over the reservation I assumed they'd give the kids haven cards with dh and I but now I'm unsure. Any experience with this?

First of all, your kids aren't allowed in a cabin without an adult. I have no idea how you are getting around that. Secondly, they aren't going to be right across the hall from you (if they end up being in the cabin by themselves). Are you okay with that?

And I know Haven access has sometimes been granted to minors in connecting cabins, but getting them access when they are in a completely separate cabin is going to take some finesse.

I would consider getting a cabin/s that actually make sense for your family. How did you end up in this situation in the first place -- a PCC or a TA?

Calling now and it looks like they haven't made the notes- but now that I think about it it may not matter as kids won't want to eat with us most nights and They get breakfast/ lunch at the buffet most days anyway.

PCC. It was the only thing they would give us (outside of a balcony, which was $1K less than what we originally paid). I don't mind really as they aren't super young any more and we will just sleep in the ID with them. I prefer inside rooms for sleeping anyway as it's nice and dark. And dh and I can lounge and dress in the big cabin. I'm just annoyed at myself as I didn't realize the kids wouldn't have haven access. I don't think they'll care. They'll want us to go in the big pool with them or go to the kids club.

I've never been in the Haven, but it sounds like your plan is to just for you and your husband to go to the Haven when your kids are in the kids club? I thought one of the benefits of the Haven was that the food in the private dining room was really good. Are you never going to eat dinner there?

Isn't there some kind of pre-cruise Haven concierge that you can call and explain the situation and have them get your kids Haven access?

I am curious about the children being in their own cabin so I'd love to hear what NCL says. Our children are about the same age plus one younger. I can't imagine letting them stay in their own room, but with three children and my parents not always available to come with us (where we normally book one of our children) I'd like to see what our options might be for future cruises. I was once told that if we book two cabins my husband must be booked in one with some of the children and I in the other with the other child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by SuperMommy

You have to have one person over 21 in every cabin so I'm very confused!

When I was a teenager I had to have a room with my mum and my brother with my dad (we just swapped over) but I'm sure you have to be 21 to be 'responsible' for the cabin...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Eleteace

Just out of curiosity, when you say "we were switched", was this something that NCL initiated or something you initiated? If it was the former, then they absolutely need to provide you with a workable solution that does not require half of your group to miss out on benefits. If it was the latter, I'm afraid they probably won't be as helpful as you might like.

Abbyar, we were cancelled twice on Jade and ended up on Epic. What NCL offered us at first was a joke. They offered from one aft suite to 2 mini suites. A less savvy cruiser might have accepted. I read off the list of suites perks we would have lost.

I am afraid to say the leverage you had and I had was at the switch. Not months later.

I hope you get lucky. Fingers crossed.

Actually, the 21 year old in each cabin is for BOOKING only. Once on the ship, you can move anyone, anywhere...they don't care! They simply want to make sure all minors have a responsible adult aboard to care for them.

So...if NCL moved the family, they KNOW the adults are aboard. That's "how they got around" it.

And, there are families with say, 8 kids.....no way to put 1 "adult" in each cabin...it CAN be worked out!!!

Yes, it was NCL that initiated the switch. We went from Spirit to Jade when the spirit moved to Asia, then Jade to Epic when the Jade was contracted out. This is what happens when you buy early folks (we booked March 6, 2015). They wouldn't give us a 2 bedroom haven suite so we ended up with this. Couldn't switch dates as we are traveling Presidents week. I didn't really think much of it at the time. We booked and paid for originally for all 4 of us to be in a family suite, I expect us all to have suite benefits.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I hardly doubt NCL won't let the kids board with us and have lunch the first day, and beyond that and priority disembarkation at GSC I don't care so much.

It's so funny to call though. Every time I call (i.e., when we had our cruise docs printed), the very first thing the PCC tells me is "you can't have a room with only minors". Yes, I know, so how about you go and upgrade me to that 2 bedroom haven suite hmmmm? Oh no you'll leave it as it is? Oh, ok.

Actually, the 21 year old in each cabin is for BOOKING only. Once on the ship, you can move anyone, anywhere...they don't care! They simply want to make sure all minors have a responsible adult aboard to care for them.

So...if NCL moved the family, they KNOW the adults are aboard. That's "how they got around" it.

And, there are families with say, 8 kids.....no way to put 1 "adult" in each cabin...it CAN be worked out!!!

Sounds very dodgy to me!

Yes, it was NCL that initiated the switch. We went from Spirit to Jade when the spirit moved to Asia, then Jade to Epic when the Jade was contracted out. This is what happens when you buy early folks (we booked March 6, 2015). They wouldn't give us a 2 bedroom haven suite so we ended up with this. Couldn't switch dates as we are traveling Presidents week. I didn't really think much of it at the time. We booked and paid for originally for all 4 of us to be in a family suite, I expect us all to have suite benefits.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I hardly doubt NCL won't let the kids board with us and have lunch the first day, and beyond that and priority disembarkation at GSC I don't care so much.

It's so funny to call though. Every time I call (i.e., when we had our cruise docs printed), the very first thing the PCC tells me is "you can't have a room with only minors". Yes, I know, so how about you go and upgrade me to that 2 bedroom haven suite hmmmm? Oh no you'll leave it as it is? Oh, ok.

Exactly!

Sort of:

"Maam/Sir you absolutely cannot have only minors booked in a room....er...what's that....um.... oh...we at NCL did it because we tossed you off a different cruise? Oh....er....umm....yeah, you know what, don't worry about that pesky little rule"

Same here, I have two rooms booked for my sailing. My wife and one son booked on a balcony, me and the other three boys booked in an inside room directly across the hall. NCL told me it was no problem for me to be in the balcony cabin, but that it needed to be booked this way.

Unfortunately, they won't give me my son's drink card, but oh well!

We were switched from Spirit to Jade to Epic for February sailing - we had a suite so when we were switched to Epic we were given an H6 and a ID across the hall. My kids are 7&9 so yes they're minors but omg I cannot believe the drama. I called yesterday to get edocs and the headache to get them was insane. Everyone keeps asking me why they put us I this room - well, I don't know, how about you tell me why they wouldn't upgrade me to a 4 person suite??

Anyway with all these questions I'm concerned about the kids having haven access. When I moved over the reservation I assumed they'd give the kids haven cards with dh and I but now I'm unsure. Any experience with this?

I think I remember chatting with you on these boards back when this all happened. We had the exact same thing happen to us. Same ships and finally ended up being Epic with Aft Haven suite and Inside across the hall. We have 5 people on our reservation. We booked so that 5 people had Suite Benefits. Can't help that the Epic only has Haven. They would not put us in the 2 bedroom Haven Suite, we had the 2 bedroom non haven on Jade.

We are actually OK with kids and Grandma (now inside cabin) not having Haven courtyard/pool as we didn't have that with original booking, but we do expect Suite Benefits like (Breakfast, Lunch in special restaurant and Butler Service) for all 5 of us

I'm cruising the week before you on Feb 11. I'm bringing every copy of every reservation that led to the Feb 11. I'm also leading up our Cruise Critic Social Media Meet & Greet as we are calling it. We have probably over 60+ people between the 2 social media sites attending.

I will keep you posted when we get aboard and let you know what happens. I know from past organizing of these M&G's, I will meet the hotel director personally and will talk with him about the situation for us if need be. I will also mention that I know there are some on the next sailing with the same situation.

PS, I hate the know it all CCers who say you are not allowed to have minors in a cabin without the adults. (#CB at Sea is correct!) Yes, that appears to be a current rule (not always a rule in the past). BUT when NCL did all these changes, this is what was offered to us also. We were offered to put 3 adults in a Haven Courtyard Suite and the 2 kids in an inside. They did not even require that inside to be close to the Haven Cabin. Well, we didn't take that offer and asked to put grandma with the teenagers and 2 in the Aft penthouse because it is across the hall. We being responsible people.

Edited by djmess

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, abbyar

I'm currently on the Epic and was in your same situation. I have wasted more time on this Cruise chatting with concierge, hotel director is totally inept and will not speak to me in person I've written letters, they've emailed corporate and no, Capital NO the people in the inside cabin do not get Haven access at all.

We have been totally screwed over by Norwegian because we booked so far in advance at such a good price it was their way of not honoring everything that we had originally reserved.

I will also say we got off the MSC Divina the day before we boarded the Epic the people on that ship could not have done anything more to show us the absolute best an amazing time. We were given a tour of their Yacht Club as we were only staying in an apt balcony and not the yacht club they just bent over backwards to show us everything that they had to offer. So after getting such amazing service on that ship and then coming to the Epic and having probably the worst service I've ever had on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship I'm very disappointed.

What makes things almost even worse in my situation is I am in the new category Platinum Plus. Loyalty is not something this Cruise Line recognizes anymore they only recognize dollar signs. I earned my Platinum Plus points traveling inside, Ocean View, and balcony cabins. I have only ever booked 3 suites and I have over three hundred and thirty points.

If you can get some kind of documentation from Norwegian saying your kids will have sweet access and perks I advise you do that before you board the ship otherwise they get nothing. Good luck to you and I hope that you get what we were unable to

In the event they don't let you check in without having an adult in the cabin with the kids (which is pretty likely), you'd have to switch an adult to each of the 2 cabins. After that happens, only the adult booked in the Haven cabin will have the Haven access. You really need to get this clarified right now.

I would not, under any circumstance, put a 7- and 9-year old in a cabin alone! I can't fathom NCL allowing this. Someone dropped the ball for sure.

Uggh.. I've called again today and they said the kids wouldn't even be able to check in with me... like ***? That is NOT what I was promised.

PP - did you check in with the kids in the suite area?

They are not going to let you on the ship with those kids unless an adult is registered in their room. And then that adult will not have Haven privileges.