Question about the dining room on the Crown Princess

2011mom

Now that I booked my first Princess cruise, I'm haunting this forum!

I'm deciding on my dining option for my family of 4 (2 grown kids will be with us). We like sitting at a big table with traditional dining. So I chose the 6pm seating. Now I'm choosing table size. Normally I prefer the biggest table - 10 people. But I know on Carnival, the big 10-seater tables area always in the middle, never near the window. I'd love to maximize my chance of getting a window seat, so what I'd like to know is what size most of the window tables are, so I can choose that size as my preference.

Thanks!

Now that I booked my first Princess cruise, I'm haunting this forum!

I'm deciding on my dining option for my family of 4 (2 grown kids will be with us). We like sitting at a big table with traditional dining. So I chose the 6pm seating. Now I'm choosing table size. Normally I prefer the biggest table - 10 people. But I know on Carnival, the big 10-seater tables area always in the middle, never near the window. I'd love to maximize my chance of getting a window seat, so what I'd like to know is what size most of the window tables are, so I can choose that size as my preference.

Thanks!

The way I read your post is that with your children your total will be 4. So here is some information:

6pm dining will probably not be 6pm, most likely 5:45pm

There are normally tables for 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

If you select any size table larger than your party, then that table will be shared with other passengers.

Tables for 10 are oval, and it is very difficult to hold conversations.

Tables for 8 are round, and also difficult to hold conversations.

We always prefer tables for 6 or 4.

In the Caribbean curtains are normally closed for evening dining, it is dark, so you most likely will not be able to see anything if you are next to a window. If you are in northern Europe in the summer then it stay light later, and curtains may be open. We never felt it made any difference. However, smaller 6 tops tend to be nearer the windows.

Rule of thumb, the larger the table, the slower the service. This is because all meals for all courses have to be ready before the table is served. It slows down even more if one party has special diet orders that are specially prepared.

The way I read your post is that with your children your total will be 4. So here is some information:

6pm dining will probably not be 6pm, most likely 5:45pm

There are normally tables for 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

If you select any size table larger than your party, then that table will be shared with other passengers.

Tables for 10 are oval, and it is very difficult to hold conversations.

Tables for 8 are round, and also difficult to hold conversations.

We always prefer tables for 6 or 4.

In the Caribbean curtains are normally closed for evening dining, it is dark, so you most likely will not be able to see anything if you are next to a window. If you are in northern Europe in the summer then it stay light later, and curtains may be open. We never felt it made any difference. However, smaller 6 tops tend to be nearer the windows.

Rule of thumb, the larger the table, the slower the service. This is because all meals for all courses have to be ready before the table is served. It slows down even more if one party has special diet orders that are specially prepared.

Totally agree! We had a 8 table one cruise and besides waiting for all meals to be ready you also have to wait for the entire table to be sat before the waiter will begin taking orders. Some of our tablemates didn't respect the time and were constantly 10+ minutes past the dining time, so we had to wait. If we are cruising with friends we always ask for a table for just us so as not to make the other couple or couples feel left out with our inside jokes and stuff. If traveling just the 2 of us we do a table of 6. On the CB we had a table of 4 by the window and depending on how the ship is facing when we sail away the curtains would be closed until the sun or ship got past a certain spot so we were not blinded by the sun...usually they did open then just at that great pic point of the sunset. I believe the largest I saw near the window on the CB was a 6 table.

Wow! This is exactly what cruise critic is great for - specific info about what I wanted to know!

Yes, we are 4 people in total, and this is a Norwegian Fjords cruise so it would be really nice to be by a window! I think I'll request a 6-top, we actually like sitting near strangers who then can become friends! But I'd rather have just 2 other people there and sit by a window, than a larger table in the middle.

Thanks for the great help!

Wow! This is exactly what cruise critic is great for - specific info about what I wanted to know!

Yes, we are 4 people in total, and this is a Norwegian Fjords cruise so it would be really nice to be by a window! I think I'll request a 6-top, we actually like sitting near strangers who then can become friends! But I'd rather have just 2 other people there and sit by a window, than a larger table in the middle.

Thanks for the great help!

Did this cruise in June 2016. Prepare for 24 hours of daylight. Suggest when you sail from Flaam you skip the DR and head for the outside decks. Dine later at one of the special restaurants, or get some food from the buffet, grill, pizza or International cafe and sit and watch. This is 3 hours of the most spectacular scenic cruising of the trip, and you don't want to be hidden away in a DR.