Current Glory problems??

John F

We missed Half Moon Cay Sunday and it has been really rough all week, we'll today we got to Grand Turk and they deemed it to windy to port. A bunch of people then bombarded guest services, I expect to demand their money back, and they started chanting things like we want the captain. They eventually called security. I am not sure if anything worse happened. While I can understand their frustration, that is the risk you take when you cruise. I for one am enjoying myself, and they did announce that we will all get 25% off the next cruise

Does anyone know what the wind MPH was on these days? Curious at what point they wouldn't dock. I'm leaving tomorrow on the Magic for the Eastern Caribbean, so hoping we don't run into the same problems...

Wishing you smooth seas however please remember Glory and Magic are very different ships and as always it is up to the captain's discretion.

I was on the ship. It was not really that rocky. We did miss two ports. According to the caption, the winds were gusting up to 35 knots at Grand Turk. He tried docking. Personally, I think they could have tried harder and made a few more attempts.

There was a large crowd that protested at guest services for about an hour. There were a couple hundred people. A couple people did do some pushing and shoving. Security was heavy in the area.

My take on things.....book a Caribbean cruise in January....take the risk of weather issues. We had a great cruise. Was disappointing to miss ports....but its January.

I was on the ship. It was not really that rocky. We did miss two ports. According to the caption, the winds were gusting up to 35 knots at Grand Turk. He tried docking. Personally, I think they could have tried harder and made a few more attempts.

I recently read on another posting that the Captain makes the decision to dock or not dock not only on what the wind speed is at the time of docking but what it will be when he leaves that port. It may have been 35 knots when he tried to dock but weather reports may have indicated that it would be 50 knots at departure time.

To some extent, even more important than the wind speed is the direction, with regards to the entrance channel direction, and the heading of the dock. If the wind is blowing along the dock, it is easier than if it is blowing at 90* to the dock. It also depends on the tightness and "twistiness" of the approach channel, again in relation to the wind speed and direction, and whether the ship needs to turn around. So, sometimes you could dock in 35 knots of wind, while other times not dock in 25 knots.

Nice of CCL to give 25% off a future cruise. Not exactly the cruise lines fault if the weather and sea conditions do not allow getting into a port.

Actually I think it's chump change , it's all together another day with the same problem.

Nice of CCL to give 25% off a future cruise. Not exactly the cruise lines fault if the weather and sea conditions do not allow getting into a port.

Totally agree' date=' despite what my friend thinks the cruise contract is pretty clear on this topic and based on all accounts they went above and beyond.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first cruise on the Breeze a couple of years ago, a near riot broke out at Guest Services when they announced that we would be missing Grand Cayman... Security was called, and eventually diffused the situation. We received $13 back for the port fees and nothing else. I believe 25% off the next cruise was a bargain. Read the cruise contract, technically they don't owe you a thing.

We were on the Glory last week and experienced the adverse weather and missed ports. We missed both ports due to high winds, as others have said. We spoke to Eric Brouman (Glory CD) right after he had finished dealing with the mob at the guest services. He told us that he was on the bridge as the captain was attempting to dock us in Grand Turk. The thrusters were working hard to counteract the wind (he said the winds were a steady 37 knots, with some gusts). The captain did attempt a few times, but eventually aborted and backed out. We were pretty close once, but that wind was nasty.

We watched the attempts to dock from our balcony on deck 7 and we were saying to each other that if we got close to that pier, the wind was going to shove us into it hard. We were glad the captain made the call to abort. It would have been foolish of him to attempt to dock us. The Caribbean Princess also skipped Grand Turk that day. I have photos and video, but haven't yet uploaded them so I don't know if they turned out or not.

As for the mob...yes, there was a large mob of people at the guest services chanting with their arms up ('We Have Rights' was the one we heard) and there was pushing and a lot of anger. Security was everywhere and crew members made a half circle to help keep the unruly passengers away from guest services. Someone (no clue who started it) announced that Carnival had not paid their required fees to Grand Turk in over a month, and that's why we were turned away. When someone asked who told them that, they said, "It's on the internet!" and people got angrier. It was absolutely ridiculous, to be honest. I also have a photo of the mob at guest services, but I won't post it because I don't agree with their behavior & there are a lot of faces in that photo.....so I also don't want to embarrass anyone who may have come to their senses after the fact and regret their decision to 'riot' (it was not a riot, but some people involved were calling it that).

We received port fees back for missed ports and we did get a 25% discount on another cruise. We felt that the offer was very generous, and unnecessary (although, we will use it!). A side note, our excursion was also cancelled in St Thomas because the weather had been so bad that visibility under water was minimal and there was a lot of seaweed. St Thomas was a beautiful day while we were there, though! :)

Someone mentioned above that the weather wasn't that bad....and it wasn't too bad. It was the wind that was bad. The seas were rough and we were tossed the first couple days. I believe it was the second night, around 2am-3am, a lot of people were awoken by the ship slamming down into the water extremely hard. So hard, that dishes fell in the aft dining room and things fell off of counters in some cabins (ours included). We were awoken with a start and immediately asked each other if we were ok, because it was loud and hard. We were rocking back and forth in our beds, too. It was kind of fun, but I can see where some people could be scared by it.

The only real problem with the ship, that we noticed or heard about, was that there was some water (or whatever liquid it was) leaking into some cabins. We know of at least 13 cabins that had minor to severe water issues during the week. Four of those were mid-ship and the rest were aft. We did see blowers in a few hallways, as well, so obviously there was water (or something) issues there too. With dry dock coming up, I'm sure they will address this problem.

The best part of the week was that we were kept safe and we were on a cruise and not at home working, cooking, cleaning, etc. Oh, and since we only stopped in San Juan and St Thomas, we didn't have to go through customs when we arrived back into Miami...so disembark was mega fast! :) We were group 1 (not self assist) and we were off at 7:30.

The best part of the week was that we were kept safe and we were on a cruise and not at home working, cooking, cleaning, etc. Oh, and since we only stopped in San Juan and St Thomas, we didn't have to go through customs when we arrived back into Miami...so disembark was mega fast! :) We were group 1 (not self assist) and we were off at 7:30.

So if no foreign ports were visited, wouldn't that contravene the PSA and Carnival be liable for a $300 fine per passenger?

large mob of people at the guest services chanting with their arms up ('We Have Rights' was the one we heard) and there was pushing and a lot of anger.

Hmmmm....sure seems reminiscent of how this country now acts when they can't have something their way or need to voice something, anger, unruly mobs, chanting...pandora's box has been open to act like a bunch of uneducated fools....even on a cruise ship :rolleyes: