Driving south from Canada to Port of Miami

As a nearly lifelong South Florida resident...I can emphatically say with full knowledge and experience that we locals wish all Canadians would fly here and take Ubers or Taxis wherever you go! I'm sure you (Canadians) have many great qualities and attributes....but driving does not seem to be one of them!

(Post written with a smile, so don't take it too personally!)

And us Canadians are also glad when those older retired Canadians head south and aren't on our roads up here.:D:D:D

As a life long Buffalonian, (Niagara Falls actually, but whenever I tell someone outside of Western New York I live in NF, they think I'm Canadian) you are selling yourself short if the Anchor Bar is your mecca for wings. Granted, they are the original, but there are so many better wings in Buffalo. :)

[thread hijack] Once having been granted the title of Wing King of Ohio by Drew Czera, the Wing King of Buffalo, I know you are probably correct in that statement. If I still lived in Erie, PA or WNY, I would probably try more places, but when you only get up there once a year. My friend, boarding Brilliance next week said he will take me to Duffs on my next visit. [/thread hijack]

I could have quoted several posts in this thread but since I grew up in Buffalo (technically, Williamsville), I had to start by declaring my allegiance to Duff's. :D

On your next trip up I-71 pick me up, I'll buy the first round. How about lunch at Duffs and dinner at Anchor, we can then right a review on wingcritic.com

Edited by BillOh

Ok typing this with a smile..but....I posted my review of my Navigator cruise and the first thing I pretty much started with was how about Americans put down their cell phones when driving. We drove the length of the country and everywhere we looked people were either on their phones or had something large and exciting in their laps that was making them smile when they looked down!!

As I was in a truck I could look down on a lot of vehicles and both my wife and I were stunned at the texting going on. I dont know what the laws are like in the various states but up here in Ontario its illegal to text and drive or even use your phone unless its hand free/blue tooth etc. I witnessed some absolutely terrible driving because people were using phones. There were plenty of road side signs warning people etc. but the point doesnt seem to be getting through

In Florida, it's not illegal to use your phone while driving. It's illegal to text and drive, but it's a secondary offense and basically toothless. The only time they can actually get records and prove you were texting is if there is an accident with injury. Otherwise, you can just say you were using the music app or navigation or whatever. And they can't pull you over for it anyways....

California has laws similar to what you describe.

And us Canadians are also glad when those older retired Canadians head south and aren't on our roads up here.:D:D:D

Yeah, thanks.....

Before they built Margaritaville on Hollywood Beach - there was a parking lot. Scuba diving is great right in that spot, just walk in off the beach. We used to dive several times a week in my late teens. Once it got into "season" - what was an empty parking lot was completely full, all the the time, and at least 75% of the plates were Canadian. Just a full blown invasion. All the old people, who don't tip the service staff and are fairly rude in public, can't drive, etc.. It's unfortunate, because I know a lot of Canadians who are pretty awesome, but they aren't the ones driving down here for 5 months.... For what it's worth, they are ALL French Candian with Quebec license plates. Ontario plates are somewhat rare.

In short, start sending the nice and younger Canadians, please.

Edited by BNBR

I live in South Florida. Of course I know Canadians. I get stuck behind one doing 30 in a 45 at least 4 times per day. :D

On the other hand, it's scary driving in Canada with Americans who still don't know that the posted speed limit is in kilometres per hour, not miles per hour! :eek::D

To those who drive thru Watertown, just a note that

Allegiant Air now offers their (discount) service to Ft Lauderdale or Orlando non-stop from Ogdensburg, New York.

Probably really handy for anyone in or near Ottawa.

The problem is their limited flights. Their service for FLL is only twice weekly, Wednesday and Saturday. So you either go to FLL on Wednesday for a Sunday cruise, or disembark on Sunday and stay until your Wednesday flight. That's fine if you want an extra few days in Fort Lauderdale, but any flight savings are eaten up by hotel and meal costs. For cruisers, it would be better with Saturday and Sunday flights if they want to keep it to only two flights each week.

Yeah, thanks.....

In short, start sending the nice and younger Canadians, please.

Off topic but cute.

We had stopped in Charlotte N.C. one time on a driving trip.

A sales lady in a store DW had to go into on learning we were Canadian remarked "Oh, you're Canadian, you look just like us".

We were on the walk back to the car before my reply came, as usual too late.

It should have been "EH"

As to the original poster: We recently moved from Eastern Pennsylvania to the Orlando area and before we left I asked the Allied Van Line mover about routes, viz PA Turnpike west to I 81 then south to I 77 then down that route to Route 26 which intersects with I 95, etc: We went 100 miles out of our way back up in PA, but you don't have to deal with I 95 up in Baltimore, Washington, etc., which can be a real nightmare: The entire roadway system that we took was wonderful and more than enough amenities, now if they could make a car go 600 miles an hour that would be super wonderful.

On the other hand, it's scary driving in Canada with Americans who still don't know that the posted speed limit is in kilometres per hour, not miles per hour! :eek::D

Oh, we know it's in KM, we just like to plead ignorance. :) I know quite well the 5/8 ratio to convert KM to Miles. Thankfully I never needed to plead ignorance to the OPP.

A sales lady in a store DW had to go into on learning we were Canadian remarked "Oh, you're Canadian, you look just like us".

What did she think you would look like? Maybe she watched a lot of "South Park" and thought Canadians all had flapping heads? :)