Identification

mcchane1

The marriage certificate shows that the person on the bc became the person on the new ID.

Just showing a bc and a DL with different names doesn't show the legal change at all or that the person is the same person. See the part you're missing?

If my husband presented a bc saying Robert Jones but his license says Robert Smith, don't you think they would question that? Shouldn't they, wouldn't YOU, want him to have some documentation that Jones became Smith at some point?

Same for married western women, or at least the ones who change their names. Every person who has changed their name should have that bridge document with them and it should always be checked.

Because I could grab a bc of some other Molly name and my own license with a different last name. Having a DL in a different last name doesn't prove that it's the same person.

As for checking records, what records?

DS and I had our nexus interviews the other week. The agent had DH and DS's BCs right up there on his screen. I have to bring mine in for them to scan (bc if I lose my passport the nexus card can act as the passport, he said, if they have my bc entered). Why? Because even though they had a frightening amount of info there they didn't have the CA system up for my bc. And they almost certainly didn't have our Oregon marriage certificate in there. You're asking them to do too much.

Are most women who changed their names asked for the bridging document? Sadly, no. (Massive security hole there) If you're asked for it, and you don't have it, how fun will that be?

So much easier to not change your name!

I'm not missing anything- the DHS regulations contain no requirement for a bridging document. The ID is presented to show who you are and the birth certificate is presented to show you are a US citizen. If your last name is different your first and middle names will be the same as will your date of birth.

As I said up thread, a married woman isn't required to submit a copy of the marriage certificate to apply for a first time passport, so I still maintain it isn't the big deal people make it out to be.

dcgrumpy provided a link that does make it clear that RCI expects the bridging documents so one should comply with that requirement.

Edited by sparks1093

Oh I see more clearly now.

Born a Jones, changed to Smith. What is she now? Did she not go back to Jones? There was a marriage certificate at some point for her to change to Smith, yes?

What if she brought her divorce documents to show that she had been married to Smith?

It's probably not going to be an issue (though if asked I probably wouldn't mention the divorce if she's still going by married name) but if she's asked about it she will likely regret having nothing.

Whether or not you agree with this security issue, a bridging document is not required, relax.

Well good luck with that, not required until they tell you your names in the ID need to match. As long as you bring the extra Doc's you won't need them, but leave them home and sure as rain they will be required! Why take the risk?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not missing anything- the DHS regulations contain no requirement for a bridging document. The ID is presented to show who you are and the birth certificate is presented to show you are a US citizen. If your last name is different your first and middle names will be the same as will your date of birth.

As I said up thread, a married woman isn't required to submit a copy of the marriage certificate to apply for a first time passport, so I still maintain it isn't the big deal people make it out to be.

dcgrumpy provided a link that does make it clear that RCI expects the bridging documents so one should comply with that requirement.

Whether or not you agree with this security issue, a bridging document is not required, relax.

While I agree that it isn't a government requirement, if RCI decides that it wants to make it THEIR requirement, you might run into difficulty.

Not long after getting our NEXUS cards, we took a Canada-New England cruise out of Boston. The port staff wouldn't accept the NEXUS cards, insisting that we produce passports. That was HAL policy, or so we were told, and they didn't care what Canadian or American legislation had to say about documentation, for them the only thing that mattered was the HAL policy. Fortunately, we always carry our passports too and were allowed to board.

By the sounds of it, people aren't being asked to produce bridging documents, but my concern would be what RCI's actual policy is. Just in case...

This is a direct link to the US State Dept passport rules. If a woman has changed her name either by marriage or by court action she is required to provide the document if her BC and current/other legal ID do not match.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

This is a direct link to the US State Dept passport rules. If a woman has changed her name either by marriage or by court action she is required to provide the document if her BC and current/other legal ID do not match.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

Back up and re-read my post- I said for a first time passport. Your link involves changes to passports already issued. Two different critters.

Back up and re-read my post- I said for a first time passport. Your link involves changes to passports already issued. Two different critters.

No actually my daughter just went thru this and it held up her passport. She had to send her marriage certificate issue and notarized by the county. They would not issue with proving her legal name.

Not sure what your issue is, but I would hate for someone to take your comments as bible and get burned. Bring your documents, provide those documents as you never know when you are going to need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums