Koingsdam doesn't really look like a HAL ship

kangforpres

This ship is huge and big change from previous HAL ships The two story Queens Lounge is open on both levels and can be quite noisy and vexing if one is not into Memphis Blues. I am into Classica and yet the area can be quite noisy when the World Stage lets out. I do think the World Stage is outstanding.

My original point is that from a distance the profile of the K-dam is different than other HAL ships, since they were built decades apart the S & R class are similar in size and shape. Just like the Vista and Signature classes are similar to size and shape. They all share the same color scheme of white tops and blue hulls, even there funnels have similar shapes. The K-dam looks top heavy it's a large ship and has only 1 funnel.

When your sailing on the open water in Alaska or the Caribbean and you spot another cruise ship at a distance you can tell what line its from by it's size and shape (at least I can and I'm sure many others can too) If you saw the K-dam from say 3 or 4 miles and couldn't see it's white top and blue hull you could mistake it for an non-HAL ship.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

My original point is that from a distance the profile of the K-dam is different than other HAL ships, since they were built decades apart the S & R class are similar in size and shape. Just like the Vista and Signature classes are similar to size and shape. They all share the same color scheme of white tops and blue hulls, even there funnels have similar shapes. The K-dam looks top heavy it's a large ship and has only 1 funnel.

-Paul

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I do agree with Paul. To me, HAL ships before the K-dam have more of a sloped front deck profile, like at a 45 degree angle. The K-dam has closer to a 75 degree angle and thus seems "blockier" at its front decks, especially when viewing from the side profile. Similar to the new Norwegian and Princess ships. The other HAL ships, even the R and S-class, along with the Vista/Signature just look more streamlined to me. At head-on or 3/4 head-on, like Poa's photo, the difference isn't as pronounced.

I watched a video earlier today about Oosterdam and it mentioned the basic exterior design as being the same as some Cunard and Carnival ships (but totally unique inside). Given that Carnival Corp is in to sharing basic design across lines are there equivalent ships in CCL, Cunard or Princess to the hull design of Konigsdam? The chart of largest ships by line does not have that sort of cross line comparison.

The Captain of the Koningsdam said at a recent onboard Q & A that the Koningsdam was a new hull design and that it was now the most fuel efficient ship in the HAL fleet. He further said that its most fuel efficient speed was 17.4 knots.