Children on River Cruises

DCLCrazy

I don't think you can compare a 15 year old to a 7 year old, as far as their interest level in history, when I was 7 I could care less by 15 I was into politics and history, very few if any 7 years old will enjoy this type of trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I grew up traveling on long trips. My parents had on rule. 1 day they (usually my Mom) picked the sightseeing, the next day the 3 of us kids did. Historic forts, shipbuilding yards, and museums were frequently our choice. Hate to think now about my poor Dad, as that was about all he got dragged to as my Mom loves them to. We love going to the villages that were set up as Pioneers settlements, and still do. They didn't have the big amusement parks when we were kids, our summer exhibition served as that. We were used to spending time with adults as well, as we didn't have kids around all the time to play with. The only concern I would have for a child on the cruise would be the long dinners and the food available. Every child is different and parents know them the best.

We had a little boy around 8 traveling with his parents on our AMA Danube cruise last summer. AMA offers a hiking and biking excursion for each port. Ama also has a pool even though small, he and his parents enjoyed it each day. He had a device for the bus rides but he seemed to enjoy his parents company and experiencing time together. I don't think his parents took him into all the churches because even for adults the number of churches is a bit of an overload. I would not hesitate to book one of the family sailing with the special excursions and experiences for children. But your child can't be a picky eater nor bored easily with visiting places with just to experience life in different places and cultures.

Got2cruise, that is so well said. The only thing I would add is these boats are not built with child safety in mind. Am so glad that the lines are paying attention to family wants and needs.

The dinners can be long even for me after a long day touring. Pat