Repositioning cruises - when are they discounted?

phaelon56

I'm seriously considering taking a 3 day repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver in May. I anticipate doing this alone and was a bit shocked by two things when I checked prices....

1) no discounts at present even for past Princess passengers

2) no single supplement - it's exactly the same price as two people - I was thinking it would be either 150% or 175% but no discount for single passenger.

The price for an inside cabin was $598 for a single plus taxes and fees. Ouch.

I assume (based on reading previous posts) that these cruises never fill up and never sell out. Do they tend to get discounted closer to the date of sailing and if so how long should I wait before looking into pricing again?

I frequently cruise solo in a cabin and rarely get any discounts, even when substantial discounts are being offered to couples in a cabin for the same cruise and cabin type. Pretty much all of the promotions and discounts are geared towards 2 in a cabin. This is the price we pay for cruising solo and something to factor in. :(

In general, to get the best price it is best to book either well in advance or at the very last minute (within a month to six weeks of sailing).

Repos may be different, since I'm on the east coast and most are on the west coast, I haven't bothered to figure what works best. It just isn't cost effective to pay air for a short cruise. Particularly a last minute deal when air is top price.

Most shorter cruises, 4 and 5 day Carnival ships, seem to be more expensive per day than the 7 day and longer on other lines IMO.

If, and that is, there are going to be any specials - my guess is that it would be 4-6 weeks out. I would still expect to pay 200% but the price would be less then what you are paying. That is assuming there is space on the ship left at that time.

We always get a pretty good price on repos from LA to Vancouver, usually $500pp for a minisuite on a 3-day. When we did our Diamond repo, there were other passengers who had booked at the last minute for $300 each (one reason I try not to discuss how much I paid with the person sitting next to me). Even at those prices, she wasn't close to full.

The Island Princess 9-day had full suites for $1200pp (that cruise is selling really well and I'm sure will be sold out), and the Diamond 7-day in 2007 is offering AC & AB minis for $750pp or so. So the bargains are there, you just have to search for them.

Repos may be different, since I'm on the east coast and most are on the west coast, I haven't bothered to figure what works best. It just isn't cost effective to pay air for a short cruise. Particularly a last minute deal when air is top price.

Agreed about the air but I figured out a really great itinerary that works so well with this cruise:

Friday - fly NY to SFO or Oakland for about $185 then a nice long weekend in SF bay area

Tues - depart for Vancouver

Friday AM - arrive Vancouver and get two full days to hang out, visit some coffee business acquaintances and see the city

Sunday AM - $25 one way bus to Seattle and then $185 return flight to NY

I have relatives in SF area that I never get to see when I'm there on business because those trips are so compressed. Was in Vancouver once a few years ago but for too short a time and during horrible weather. With a couple Priceline hotel deals and airfare as cheap as it is this is a GREAT itinerary for me and I only use up six vacation days at work.

But I'm having trouble justifying that price for an inside cabin.

Question: If I already have a $100 open booking deposit and convert it to reserve a room on this cruise... at what point before departure does it become locked in and cannot be converted to use towards some other saiing? (withiut a significant loss)?

Question: If I already have a $100 open booking deposit and convert it to reserve a room on this cruise... at what point before departure does it become locked in and cannot be converted to use towards some other saiing? (withiut a significant loss)?

I would assume that you have until final payment. If it is less than 7 days you don't get any shipboard credit, so that's something else to think about.

phaelon56, that does work for you! I hope you do it!

We spent 2 full days in Vancouver in May 05 when we returned from AK, and it is a beaufiful city. The architecture is outstanding! The public library is built like the Roman Coliseum, and so on. We stayed downtown at the Sheraton Wall Center (deal thru PL) and walked miles, thru Stanley Park, Chinatown, (toured an authentic Chinese Garden too), Gastown, etc. We decided we'd like to live in Vancouver!

I've often thought that perhaps I could combine a repo or coastal cruise with another longer cruise from the west coast - maybe someday.

I hope you have a great trip!

The price for an inside cabin was $598 for a single plus taxes and fees. Ouch.

I assume (based on reading previous posts) that these cruises never fill up and never sell out. Do they tend to get discounted closer to the date of sailing and if so how long should I wait before looking into pricing again?

We had a short repositioning cruise after our Hawaii cruise on the Island last April/May. It was the end of the Hawaii season and the start of the Alaska season, so they had to get the ship into position to do that itinerary.

Those cruises might not sell out, but they are often filled with travel agents who, I would assume, are invited on the cruise in recognition of their bookings. So, those short repositioning cruises do tend to be very full.

$598 ... for a three-day cruise? Not on your life! That's ridiculous! I'm paying considerably less than that for a five-night cruise on Celebrity next month ... and I travel single also.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived