Echo Dot on Oasis??

CMan2

If it needs to have wifi access, it would be the same as any other device, you would have to add it as a device to your wifi package.

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may not need wifi. However I'd test at home first to see what works and what doesn't when no internet connection is available.

If it needs to have wifi access, it would be the same as any other device, you would have to add it as a device to your wifi package.

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may not need wifi. However I'd test at home first to see what works and what doesn't when no internet connection is available.

Of course it needs WiFi. It has to connect to Amazon's servers.

The OP would need to be able to log the Dot into Royal Caribbeans WiFi. That requires not only buying a WiFi package for the DOT but being able to sign in to the log on page on a web browser. That is not only a password, it is also a user name. Can the DOT do that?

You could enable your phone or tablet as a hot spot, connect the phone/tablet to the wifi and then connect the dot to the hot spot. Haven't tried it, but in theory should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You could enable your phone or tablet as a hot spot, connect the phone/tablet to the wifi and then connect the dot to the hot spot. Haven't tried it, but in theory should work.

To my knowledge, phones only work as hot spots when they are getting internet via cellular.

To my knowledge, phones only work as hot spots when they are getting internet via cellular.

Same with tablets. Both phones and tablets have to be connected to the internet by cellular to create a wifi hot spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

That's certainly the case with my iPhone. If cellular data is on and I'm connected to the internet by wifi, as soon as I turn on my hotspot the internet connection switches from wifi to cellular.

The majority of cell phones (And tablets) in the world today on have a single wifi radio, that means they have to use cell service to function as a hotspot, normally if you have wifi there's no reason to make your own hotspot.

You would have to have voom for the dot at a minimum, and really to be most effective you'd need voom for your other device as well. You can configure the dot using your device, it doesn't need a screen as all the input is done through your phone. That being said I don't see any reason to bring your dot with you, seems like a lot of hassle for very little gain. For playing music you're probably better off with a Bluetooth speaker and some songs downloaded to your phone.

Edit: the OP mentions reminders, not music. Technically it will probably work, but your phone can do the same thing and probably more easily, of course 90% of the fun with new toys is playing with them. [emoji2] if you take your dot please let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by daze6399

I just got my Echo for Christmas and I am afraid to admit it, but I love the darn thing.

However, not enough to take it on a cruise and spend a couple of hours figuring out how to hook it up.

Since my priority for a connected device when traveling is a smartphone and having that on the internet, a device with a screen. I would'nt bother with an Echo on a cruise. If I could get the Echo connected it would be an additional cost for WiFi and my smartphone already does alarms and reminders. My phone can do that without being connected to the internet. Also if connected to the internet I can call out to my assistant on the phone.

Some smart cruise line should consider installing Echos or Google Homes in all cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

DH works with the Echo devices, and he says it can be used. You just use the app on your phone to control the Dot and that's how you're connected to the internet. He tells me he used the Alexa Tap (similar device) on our recent cruise in just that way. (we beta tested Echo and I hate them all*, so I wasn't even aware that he did that)

*except for when messing with them, like asking if it knows HAL or Skynet (it says something like "we don't really talk after what happened"), or just now I said "I solemnly swear I am up to no good" and it replied with "mischief managed".